• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Down from 99GB, it's a pretty significant reduction in file size.

It's possibly a good sign that the game won't take up too much space on the upcoming consoles

For a tiny bit more info

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I strongly dislike this game, but this is the kind of stuff I can get behind. Take notes, Modern Warfare.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty significant. Any explanations why? Could this be a good sign for those worried about the limited storage on new generation consoles?

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How in the world was Fornite 99GB before?!!

Ocelott

Oct 25, 2017
This is good stuff. I play Fortnite occasionally so having a smaller footprint on my drive is nice.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if they are using that compression software from RAD, I know warframe had big compression gains from it.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
That's an epic size reduction...

Screenshot_116.jpg

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of curious what they're doing to make it that much smaller. File duplication alone wouldn't account for that much of a difference, and they should already have been using compression... moving to a new compression solution wouldn't make that drastic a difference either.

Unless the original game was just that unoptimized. Things like huge textures that can be cut down in size and color depth and still look exactly the same, at a fraction of the file size.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I realized how big it was when I wanted to install it on PS4, I was scratching my head why a 10-15 Gb game couldn't fit on my hard drive. When it was finally done installing I discovered how long the load times were on a base PS4 and uninstalled it again.

Fortnite is really bizarre technically, a game like that should not be this big, looks like that and should shot look look as rough and should not load as long on a PS4.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
More big developers need to do this shit when their games get so bloated. Ain't nobody got time for these bloated ass games staying bloated when shit like this is possible.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I don't play Fortnite but that's fantastic news. Really wish more games will do this in the future, I won't even try COD because of the ridiculous file size it's got atm.

Rytheran

Oct 27, 2017
Just outside Holtburg
I think it was the Chapter 2 or whatever update where it suddenly ballooned up to 100gb because I had tried it a couple times and it was only around 20gb, then I went to try it after that update and it was almost 100, so I said nope.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
That's pretty amazing! I don't play Fortnite myself, but props to the devs for this one.
Hope Warzone gets something similar in the future...

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Amazing work, I wonder if they get data on people uninstalling.
I'm sure this will come to the next gen consoles too, Fortnight stays on my PC then with that foot print.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
This just has me thinking that COD will be 300GB before it'll ever be 100GB. Absolutely insanity that any game is that large right now.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Not a Fortnite player, but this is great. With games becoming so big lately, it's nice that some devs actually care about not taking up all your storage space.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty significant. Any explanations why? Could this be a good sign for those worried about the limited storage on new generation consoles?
Better file compression, and probably some code refactoring to clean up code that's no longer needed.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
It would be interesting to know how they achieved this. Did they remove some older maps that arent in use anymore (its been quite a while since i played Fortnite, but didnt the new seasons give new maps and got rid of the old one?), or if still has the exact same content as before.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't play Fortnite, but this is super cool. More developers need to do this, especially with console versions.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
In a controversial move some dude on Twitter is calling "bold" activision and infinity ward just announced that warzone size will double because of some download glitch on xbox live.

Activision has yet to respond why PlayStation and Pc gamers have to download the new update.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't play Fortnite either and just wanted to compliment the technical team for tech wizardry. Activision needs to take note.

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
Hope this is a sign of things to come as devs are able to reduce redundant data now that they expect SSDs for the majority of players, assuming this is the reason.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What are the chances CoD shrinks
I can't speak for what Epic just did here. But as far as CoD, on next gen consoles it will definitely be smaller. On current consoles data is repeated identically over the hard drive to improve seek times. With the new SSD tech this won't be necessary, so the file size will be smaller.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Down from 99GB, it's a pretty significant reduction in file size.

It's possibly a good sign that the game won't take up too much space on the upcoming consoles

For a tiny bit more info

i mean makes sense its what 9 gigs on the switch while it has lower textures i am sure not 90 gigs worth

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I can't speak for what Epic just did here. But as far as CoD, on next gen consoles it will definitely be smaller. On current consoles data is repeated identically over the hard drive to improve seek times. With the new SSD tech this won't be necessary, so the file size will be smaller.
This is some cool insight. Thanks.