• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
what are you arguing?

that the govt of usa doesn't work with all telecommunication and collect all digital data

everybody gotta be in denial if they really believe you have any true ownership of your digital communication

I don't actually have to argue anything because you haven't made anything approaching a credible claim.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Hardly a surprise, but it'll still be a bummer to finally have a 120hz iPhone and not be able to try out Fortnite on it. Oh well lol

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
Honestly, I don't really understand why anyone is still working with him. He's shown repeatedly that he will:

Copy your work and sell it as his own (PUBG, Among Us, countless dancers).

Breach his contracts without warning (apple).

Put your projects in jeopardy if he thinks it gives him leverage in his other disputes (anyone using unreal, especially if they are planning on a mobile launch).

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I don't really understand why anyone is still working with him. He's shown repeatedly that he will:

Copy your work and sell it as his own (PUBG, Among Us, countless dancers).

Breach his contracts without warning (apple).

Put your projects in jeopardy if he thinks it gives him leverage in his other disputes (anyone using unreal, especially if they are planning on a mobile launch).

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
if you dont believe that every second spent on your iPhone isn't being surveilled and apple isn't integral you're gullible
Okay, I'm gullible. No one has the time or resources to do that and there's no reason to do that. You can live in fear if you want. Don't use any devices then. Android is even worse.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Taking 70% is a hell of a lot better than 0%, but what do I know about business.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Okay, I'm gullible. No one has the time or resources to do that and there's no reason to do that. You can live in fear if you want. Don't use any devices then. Android is even worse.

Whether it's true or not, resources and reasons are not compelling evidence to the contrary. The for-profit and career advancement criminal justice system actively incentivizes it (clear reason enough), and if they have the capacity to scan, process, update, and backup trillions of images, voice commands, and apps, they certainly have the means to auto parse, cap, or OCR everything on your device.

Last edited:

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
It doesn't hurt Apple because if they added Fortnite back Epic would just do in-app purchases through their website... Apple makes nothing. Epic on the other hand will lose hundreds of millions if this goes to 5 years.
from epics point of view iOS is not a significant market and the ability to start a conversation on how app stores run and the ways they make money is more beneficial to him in the long run.

this was a 20 year plan not a 5 year one

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Kind of a bad sign when the whole plan gets derailed 2 years in.
i guess we are disagreeing about whether this is a derailment. I see this as sweeny posturing for the (vocal) minority of Fortnite users who exclusively use iOS and the cost-benefit of making 70% of them vs the opportunity to break the perceived storefront monopoly taxation.

Tims ultimate goal is EGS on every device and consumer choice in storefronts, or at least that's his publicly stated goal. There have been questionable choices he's made like signing exclusivity deals and treating launchers like console ecosystems which doesn't benefit the consumer in a sense but has been necessary to force some form of relevancy into the market.

Time will tell whether he gets what he wants but I would say that the discussion about what qualifies a captured market and business practices of app store inventors (? dont know if thats the right word) are something we should be having as consumers choice in media engagement moves more away from physical retail models into these storefronts

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
i guess we are disagreeing about whether this is a derailment. I see this as sweeny posturing for the (vocal) minority of Fortnite users who exclusively use iOS and the cost-benefit of making 70% of them vs the opportunity to break the perceived storefront monopoly taxation.

Tims ultimate goal is EGS on every device and consumer choice in storefronts, or at least that's his publicly stated goal.

Consoles account for the majority of Fortnite revenue. This court decision got him no closer to being able to launch a storefront on Playstation, Xbox, or Switch. His own lawyers argued why consoles are different and not subject to their arguments against iOS.

He failed on iOS and dug a deeper hole for himself on consoles.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Whether it's true or not, resources and reasons are not compelling evidence to the contrary. The for-profit and career advancement criminal justice system actively incentivizes it (clear reason enough), and if they have the capacity to scan, process, update, and backup trillions of images, voice commands, and apps, they certainly have the means to auto parse, cap, or OCR everything on your device.
If this was true, people would be getting arrested for things like drug possession seemingly randomly, but there is no evidence that is happening. These are essentially baseless accusations and fear mongering

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad my mega corp beat the other mega corp

This sentiment is not wrong, but Tim made this very weird by pretending to take a moral stand and make this about the 'consumers.'

Apple was always out for number 1 from the get-go, so at least in this case they were genuine and the normal amount of slimy you expect from a corporation.

jony

Oct 25, 2017
That was a beautiful way to say: get fucked.

You can say whatever you want about Apple and it's app-store rules/cut, but Epic's should have sued and/or appeal to the public with a PR/press campaign rather than break the app store rules first.

Then there's that whole fiasco of the lawsuit and video/event that they had ready to go, now they expect camaraderie. You had a plan and it backfired (so far).

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tim Tweetey posts this like a flex "Look at how unfairly Apple treats me after my very nice email!" yet he's only digging deeper. Everyone knows he dug this hole and acting like he didn't is some damn hypocritical shit.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I like how Tim is still trying to litigate this in the court of public opinion because he can't win in the real court. And of course he hopes you don't notice in that screenshot of his email that he states that their decision to bring Fortnite back to iOS is contingent upon Apple reversing itself on payments, i.e. voluntarily giving Epic what the court wouldn't.

Thanks to Epic, apps can now use their own in-app purchase system.. Apple wouldn't gain anything from adding Fortnite.

No they can't. They can only advertise ways to buy things outside the app. They can't link directly to them or process purchases in the app.

Last edited:

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
This sentiment is not wrong, but Tim made this very weird by pretending to take a moral stand and make this about the 'consumers.'

Apple was always out for number 1 from the get-go, so at least in this case they were genuine and the normal amount of slimy you expect from a corporation.

I'd agree with this.

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
Epic lost iPhone income (which turns out is like the smallest section of Fortnite income).

Apple now is dealing with every country pushing requirements for anti-steering and secondary purchase services.

I think it's pretty clear that Epic caused significantly more harm to Apple then Apple did to Epic.

As much of an Apple booster as I am, I actually think anti-steering is the right way to go and should have been implemented by Apple long ago.

As long as there is a clear way for a user to sign up directly by the provider, as well as an in-app way to sign up, I'm totally cool with this.

A consumer can then make the choice to stick with the in-app purchase system (and the ease/convenience it provides) or potentially save money by going direct to the app maker themselves but dealing with new payment options per vendor.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I mean fuck Apple for a variety of reasons but

leaving out quite a bit there

Do we have any proof Epic agreed to abide by all rules? Because this wouldn't be the first time he's fibbed in service of his own agenda.

When YsNet announced Shenmue 3 would launch exclusively on EGS without the possibility of a Steam key or refund, Sweeney spent the next few days fighting with people on Twitter, asserting Valve's policy on key generation prevented YsNet from offering them to backers later down the track. It wasn't until people began pointing out to him that the Steamworks documentation is public and no such clause actually exists that -- hey-presto -- YsNet announced belated Steam keys and refunds would be offered.

Epic snapped up Shenmue 3 because it wanted the backers, not so much the game itself, and Sweeney ruined that to at least some degree because he's incapable of keeping his ego in check. If he'd just said nothing and instructed everyone involved to stay off the topic, the whole thing would've eventually blown over.

Last edited:

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Do we have any proof Epic agreed to abide by all rules? Because this wouldn't be the first time he's fibbed in service of his own agenda.

His email said he'll abide by the rules as long as Apple doesn't impose "onerous terms or impediments to a good user experience." Which is a condition completely open to interpretation. If Apple had agreed, I'm sure he'll be able to concoct something as an excuse not meeting those conditions in his eyes.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Tim Elic gets his comeuppance. Not that I particularly like what Tim Apple does, but damn Tim Epic is making himself to look more a fool with every tweet.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
His email said he'll abide by the rules as long as Apple doesn't impose "onerous terms or impediments to a good user experience." Which is a condition completely open to interpretation. If Apple had agreed, I'm sure he'll be able to concoct something as an excuse not meeting those conditions in his eyes.

Ah, thanks. So, this is almost certainly Sweeney being his usual disingenuous self, then. Colour me surprised.

Last edited:

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I'm pretty sure he's being sneaky here; he talks about them abiding by the "plain language" of the specific ruling; if I had to guess, I'd guess Epic is doing the same thing a few article writers did when the ruling drop.. acting like this "language" allows for alternative IAP.

When the ruling itself, the full written ruling, makes it incredibly clear it doesn't.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really a fan of Apple nor Epic and I feel like Epic is largely emboldened by Tencent money and acting as Tencent's proxy in this fight to break the OS control of google and Apple so I'm just going to say I hope this drags on. Neither are great, but Apple appears to be marginally better

Oct 29, 2017

Tim's messiah complex has been grating from the beginning.

Apple has been shamelessly anti-competitive, yes, and they definitely deserve to be reigned in. But Epic acting like they're doing this out of the goodness of the hearts, and not just weaponizing the judicial system to wring more money out of the mobile space, is insulting.

Seeing him try and build some sort of movement around #FreeFortnite while the George Floyd protests were going on made it especially tasteless. Like...we have more important things to worry about than your bottom line right now.

Deleted member 22002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The cheerleading for Apple's bullying of Epic in this forum, apart being embarrassing to read, really puts on a stark reflector how BAD PR can ruin your company reputation long term, even if you think you're basically unsinkable.

Epic is paying dearly moneyhatting exclusives to remove them from the better platform (Steam), manipulating kids into their own personal internet army, making their game unplayable on apple hardware for no other reason than a headline grabbing caprice, and posing as some people's hero instead of just fighting this as a business battle between shitty monopolists (because, also, that is exactly Epic's long term plan with the metaverse).

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Oh no, Tim, I feel so sorry for you, what, with trying to turn kids into an internet hate mob for your corporate wars. How could I not feel sorry for you shooting yourself in the foot and blaming everyone but yourself!?

Syf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
this is pretty satisfying to hear given the circus epic tried to make of it. the ad campaign they had prepared and aimed at their fanbase - knowing it's mostly kids - was gross. tried to vilify apple but it's just hypocritical greed. hold that L

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
That #FreeFortnite filth still places my response firmly at "Epic is a toxic element in this industry"; Let the direct consequences flow.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Fortnite seems pretty important to kids. I don't think this will hurt Apple much at first but five years of kids getting android phones rather than iphones and getting into that infrastructure might. It hurts Epic way worse for now.
People aren't going to make a smartphone purchase decision based on where Fortnite is located.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
If you can afford Apple hardware you can afford high end Android hardware or a high end PC.

Apple MacOS players could always install Windows (via boot camp or virtualization).

This is exactly the market segment that can afford to switch if ur wants to.

I'm talking about the young players who play on their iPads or iPhones who's family's can't afford another device for them. They're left in the cold by Epic's malarkey.

I'm aware ipads and iphones are luxury devices, but I saw numerous families scrapping together to purchase them for kids when I worked in the cell phone industry. It's those kids/young people who I feel for.

You're right though if this was, say, a Mac computer. Those things are prodigiously expensive. On the other hand, you can get an iPad for $330.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I'm talking about the young players who play on their iPads or iPhones who's family's can't afford another device for them. They're left in the cold by Epic's malarkey.

I'm aware ipads and iphones are luxury devices, but I saw numerous families scrapping together to purchase them for kids when I worked in the cell phone industry. It's those kids/young people who I feel for.

You're right though if this was, say, a Mac computer. Those things are prodigiously expensive. On the other hand, you can get an iPad for $330.

I mean, Apple hardware tends to hold very good resale value since they support their devices with OS updates for a long time. If this was really an issue you could sell it and buy another device that can play Fortnite. There are Android phones and tablets under $200.

Edit: Apple also didn't delete the app from existing devices. They terminated the Epic dev account meaning they can't issue updates and no new users can "buy" the free app, but existing users can still play the game until they change to new hardware or an OS update breaks the existing app (rare).

Last edited: