• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of people in this thread are forgetting there is more to Fortnite than the battle royale mode.

It’s there because of Save the World mode

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Early Access is only labeled there for Save the World mode. They are still planing on launching it as F2P once Early Access is done. It's just taking them a lot longer as they have added far more to the scope before it hits F2P. Since Mobile and Switch do not have this mode, the game has no label of early access.
reEEvJp.jpg
t13mvhP.jpg
nVSpTEN.jpg

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
on Switch there's no "Early Access" text anywhere.

i think that confirms that only applies to the single player mode since that mode isn't on Switch.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
That's just an excuse to deliver loads of patches without community complaning.

One and done. The Early Access tag just lets them push patches while skipping certification. It's a competitive advantage at this point compared to other BR games that need to submit and pay for certification before they can push large client patches. it's a loop hole I eventually expect to see fixed with a time limit on how long a game can be in early access.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Just like Minecraft. It'll be in Beta or what ever for years, come out and probably still be popular. Why?

Like Minecraft, kids just looove to build shit. I do too.
Minecraft was in beta for only one year, and was only officially in Alpha for half a year.

Though for the most part updates still seem to come out in a similar fashion to how it was during the Beta, so what's it matter? (speaking of, the latest update runs really bad on Java Edition :( )

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Early Access is only labeled there for Save the World mode. They are still planing on launching it as F2P once Early Access is done. It's just taking them a lot longer as they have added far more to the scope before it hits F2P. Since Mobile and Switch do not have this mode, the game has no label of early access.
reEEvJp.jpg
t13mvhP.jpg
nVSpTEN.jpg
Quoting because of the pictures.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018
I'm pretty sure for console manufacturers that if your game is in Early Access, there is no fee associated with making and distributing patches that you would normally have to pay for a "fully released" game. So with Fortnite perpetually in "Early Access," updates can be pushed out as frequently as possible with no cost to Epic Games. Sony and Microsoft look the other way while this is happening since Fortnite makes so much money, meanwhile the "fully released" competition have to pay for updates and look slow to update relative to Fortnite.
That's not true

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
reEEvJp.jpg
t13mvhP.jpg
nVSpTEN.jpg
Aaaand I think we're done here.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
It's a great way to avoid Metacritic, which is smart. You can't let people playing a bad game think they're playing a bad game.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Frankly if a game is EA then it should be able to take in mtx like many do. Hell some try charging a heafty price just to test it out in EA. Yes I know you get the game if it is ever released. But having a multimillion dollar business around an EA title is pretty shitty.

Hawk SE

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Colorado
A joke? I wouldn't say that exactly.

I'm just not sure it's been well defined (by Epic) why it's still in Early Access, or why they consider to tag it as such.

Ryder9

Alt account
Banned
May 26, 2018
I think they just need to come up with a new game genre/classification that indicates some sort of continuous improvement or upgrade mode

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
yall are thinking way too hard about what has ostensibly become a marketing term

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
reEEvJp.jpg
t13mvhP.jpg
nVSpTEN.jpg
What I thought, but the separate Battle Royale loading screens also have "Early Access" labels on PS4/PC/XB1 too. It's weird.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if it forever stayed early access. Literally the vast majority of the players don't even know the game isn't out "officially" yet, and they are making billions with it. It also gives them a blanket excuse to change whatever is in the game at any time, because it's an early access which means they can change, pull, kill or add anything with no repercussions. It's stupid but it is what it is.

Nov 10, 2017
It's to game Sony.

Only Free 2 Play games don't need PlayStation Plus for online play.

Yet Save The World costs money. And yet you can play it with no PlayStation Plus.

Removing early access would mean they'd have to make Save the World free or lose players without PlayStation Plus.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Haven't played the game in forever, decide to boot it up on a whim and see how the BR mode has changed in the past year or so. The loading screen comes up and it still says "Early Access" on the top right. Huh? I was genuinely bemused by this cause since last I played, I thought the game seemed pretty complete and polished.

This game had been pretty polished for awhile now. There's a robust single player, a BR mode that's probably one of the more fleshed out BR games out there. Plus a creative mode, which if I understand correctly is like Minecraft.

Is there a reason why Epic is still saying this game is "early access"? Some monetary reason for example? Have I been wrong of my assessment of the game? Is the game an early access game after all?
It's just so they can still charge for save the world. They said that would be free to play once the game leaves early access which was meant to be mid last year

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this is true, but the running theory for a long time now I've seen is that being in 'Early Access' allows them to bypass certain console cert requirements.

So my take from when I worked at GS was it's early access still so they can keep selling copies in stores to unsuspecting parents as it's like 30$ or something to be in EA for save the world which is how the physical game sells.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
To prevent low review scores? Keep it in EA and you perpetually will have people immediately run to its defense citing "EARLY ACCESS!!"
Have you seen the Fortnite reddit?
What DontHateTheBacon said. Season 9, especially, is going through some growing pains right now, haven't seen Fortnite with load-in problems as bad as this week's been.

t13mvhP.jpg
And white text on a white background should be punishable by public flogging.

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always thought it was a way for Epic to not have to add Trophies and Achievements to the console versions (of Battle Royale).

You get millions of people finishing every trophy and suddenly a lot of people stop playing.