• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
The future is weird. I never thought I'd live in the timeline where videogame streamer was a viable career, let alone a career that would lead to apparel endorsement deals. Congrats to him on his success for sure!

JD64

Aug 5, 2019
Melbourne, Australia.
Yeah I'm not sure why people are desperate to define esports as an athletic activity. Does it make people feel more validated in playing games? Nobody should need validation for that obviously.

And no, I don't consider fishing or chess a sport either tbh. I get that there's a spectrum in the amount of physical exertion across different sports, but there are some things that you just cannot define as athletic. Playing Fortnite is one of them.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
giphy.gif

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Hey, if this somehow makes them ditch the whole "Yeezy" line, that'd be amazing. Not only are those fucking ugly shoes, they're also tied to a terrible human being (and I know Ninja isn't the best of people, before anyone says otherwise).

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I think I explained it in that post you quoted and in a post below it, so why ask me again?
You didn't really.

Competition != Athleticism.

Lots of people dedicate huge amounts of time competing in areas which do not make them athletes. For example people who compete in maths competitions are not athletes. That requires just as much mental exertion as esports.

Esports competitors are clearly dedicated and highly skilled but that does not make playing video game athletic.

Again I should say that I've been following esports for years and I'm a fan of Ninja. I'm not saying any of this to try and shit on esports. I just don't think we need to call professional gamers athletes.

Last edited:

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I am honestly, always surprised by eSports and the overall streaming scene. I am not even that old yet I don't understand the mass appeal of streaming. So news like this always amaze me. I completely underestimate on a daily basis how big steaming is nowadays

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Normally I am all for people getting endorsements and shit.

But Adidas is trying to spin into supporting esports and that shit ain't right. Ninja isn't pro gamer. He's streamer. BIG difference.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
The times we live in...

good for him tho.
I've gotta say I just don't see the appeal in these guys, even inserting me when I was a kid, these guys do nothing for me. I have no idea about this generation sometimes lol. Old man yelling at clouds I guess. But hey at least one guy is getting rich. I guess I'm supposed to adore that or something even though his content is lame as hell to me. He has certainly navigated the money train very well and in a very smart, efficient way though.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am honestly, always surprised by eSports and the overall streaming scene. I am not even that old yet I don't understand the mass appeal of streaming. So news like this always amaze me. I completely underestimate on a daily basis how big steaming is nowadays

It's more about the personality than the game they play for me, they're just like entertainers really.

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Likewise, I never understood the term "eSports" , but people are into it so let them have fun

It's jealousy, mostly. He gets paid millions to sit around and play video games, an activity that normal people only do on their own time/resources after work. The other thing is his weird "I don't stream with women" thing which is problematic.

I assure you it's almost 100% the "weird" not streaming with women thing. And the yelling at children thing.

Claww

Nov 7, 2017
Performance and athleisure being marketed towards gamers makes perfect sense. The angle is pretty straightforward: wellness benefits players. Gaming itself might not be physically comparable to actual sports, but if you're professional or competive (or look up to those who are) and want peak performance, taking care of yourself is a part of it. I'm surprised it took this long, to be honest. Pro players especially have no reason not to incporporate physical fitness if they're at bootcamps and part of a managed team.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
He's extremely lucky, he was streaming something no one wanted to see to relatively few viewers.

He's lucky that fortnite even exists, battle royale is a pivot it wasn't even ment to exist.

Luck doesn't mean he didn't work hard, but he switched to the right game at the right time and needed luck to uo his exposure along with hard work.

If you can't see that I would question your underlying insecurities and view of the world.

If everyone who worked hard did well businesses wouldn't go broke, and cleaners and manual labourers would be rich. Luck is always a factor in everything we do.

You know what I meant, and you know you think similarly to me. Not sure why you felt the need to be hostile.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
He decided not to stream with women because when he had done so previously his 12-year-old fanbase attacked his wife about it.
He also told his "12 year-old-fanbase" to text a number so they could text him and he'd text back, it was a number to a marketing company collecting their info. Was definitely pretty shady imo.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Because you were hostile to someone else.

I was suggesting those implying his career is not well earned are harboring their own insecurities. I'm attempting to diagnose why some here have hostility towards Ninja, and specifically his dedication to his work. If my efforts are interpreted as hostility then my point is well made.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I love adidas gear. As an a born and bred Chicagonan and avid Chicago Bulls fan, they have Derrick Rose; as an Asian-American actor needing to be shown a movie can be led by a East Asian male—they rep Jet Li; so now I know Ninja is just as important, if not moreso culturally figure to inspire those as much if not moreso than those two. Good on them. If they are anything like those two, he is an significant figure that will inspire individuals over a lifetime.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First shoe launching
t1577804400z1.png

Adults https://www.adidas.com/us/ninja-nite-jogger-shoes/FV6404.html
Kids https://www.adidas.com/us/ninja-nite-jogger-shoes/FX0360.html
FROM NINJA TO YOU
"To kick off my collaboration with adidas, I wanted to create a shoe that honors everyone who puts in the hard work to perfect their craft. Everyone who knows what it's like to sacrifice for their passion. Everyone who puts the TIME IN™. Whether you're on hour 1 or 1,000 of your journey, this shoe is for you." The adidas by Ninja "TIME IN" Nite Jogger tells Ninja's story and celebrates the time we all put into the things we're passionate about.
- Ninja
LyXJ1vb.jpg
lyIzuDY.jpg

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
What's going on with the spotty looking blue stitching on the front near the toe? Looks cheaply made

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
He must be worth 100m at this stage. So many deals for this young dude. Extremely successful business man.