• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Hes a smart man getting involved with Microsoft probably opened alot of doors like this for him too, hopefully hes smart with the money makes bank while the bank is good and then he can chill and stream when he wants for fun.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Let's make this very clear, if you spend up to 14 hours a day playing, vod reviewing, working out, having a sports psychologist work with your mental, etc to compete, you're an athlete.
I apologize for my initial post. I try not to be this trigger friendly, though it's difficult these days.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Yeah that's bullshit. M+KB can be hell on the wrist and hands. Controllers aren't as bad but there's still exertion involved. Let's not even talk about the mental fortitude needed to compete at the high levels of pretty much any game.

I always lol when I see the mental gymnastics around people trying to make esports seem like this great physical strain.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I apologize for my initial post. I try not to be this trigger friendly, though it's difficult these days.

I mean, I don't blame you. I've said the occasional dumbshit haha. But this is one of those hills that I will die on.
Please never write the sentence "Diego Umehara, the greatest cyber athlete of all time..."

At the start of some piece you write.

I'm begging you man.

I actually don't even know when I'd use in a piece. I'd have to think on that.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not lucky. There's a thousands upon thousands of people streaming Fortnite/PUBG/whatever-the-fuck daily. There's only one Ninja.

His career, like all successful careers, has required an immense amount of time and work on his part. Anyone who says otherwise has precisely zero idea what they're talking about (and, in my opinion, are harboring some harmful insecurities).

He's extremely lucky, he was streaming something no one wanted to see to relatively few viewers.

He's lucky that fortnite even exists, battle royale is a pivot it wasn't even ment to exist.

Luck doesn't mean he didn't work hard, but he switched to the right game at the right time and needed luck to uo his exposure along with hard work.

If you can't see that I would question your underlying insecurities and view of the world.

If everyone who worked hard did well businesses wouldn't go broke, and cleaners and manual labourers would be rich. Luck is always a factor in everything we do.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For when you finally get off your ass after playing Fortnight and decide to go outside, be sure to wear your Ninja sneakers! On sale now!

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Let's make this very clear, if you spend up to 14 hours a day playing, vod reviewing, working out, having a sports psychologist work with your mental, etc to compete, you're an athlete.

You can chalk it up to me being from an older generation, but I don't agree with this at all.

The way you phrase it, someone that sits at a desk at a bank for 9 hours a day for five days a week (talking to customers, setting up loans, reviewing accounts), then takes care of their kids for another 3/4, THEN works out on top of that could also be considered an athlete. Yes? If no- why?

I'm of the understanding that an athlete is defined as someone that trains and competes in a physical activity/sport. Has this really changed since the boom of video game popularity in the last twenty years (hell, 40 years ago kids were standing on their feet for hours at arcades)?

Generally curious to your insistence that someone like Ninja should be considered an 'athlete'.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Also to be clear, I don't discredit eSports. I look at chess (which is classified as a 'sport' by the IOC) as a respectable parallel of sorts. I was sitting here wondering "is chess considered a 'sport'?" and lo-and-behold, in many circles it is:

"Chess requires physical exertion as mental exertion manifests itself physically. ... Chess is competitive as the participating players feel the drive to win."

So I guess I just made your argument for you, Hobbes. 😂

I still think it can be said that the term 'athlete' is an arguable one when it comes to people playing video games, though.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm of the understanding that an athlete is defined as someone that trains and competes in a physical activity/sport. Has this really changed since the boom of video game popularity in the last twenty years (hell, 40 years ago kids were standing on their feet for hours at arcades)?

Generally curious to your insistence that someone like Ninja should be considered an 'athlete'.

Traditionally speaking, an athlete is defined as someone who competes in a physical sport. Your analogy doesn't hold because that person isn't competing for anything.

However, we do not live in an age where competing is mainly a physical act. Competitions have broadened to a point where we have people competing in cars, over chess or video games, etc. Sure, they don't require nearly as much physical exertion as football does, but these people are still dedicating their lives to competing, they have sports psychologists, coaches, teammates, leagues they play in. Why do we limit the definition of it athlete to JUST physical, tangible exertion of energy? Why does it not include the mental exertion and training that is required?

Because most people do not understand the sheer energy and dedication it takes to be the best at whatever it is that you want to compete at. Because limiting the definition of athlete to only physical exertion would be to change the status quo, because they don't respect esports.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Traditionally speaking, an athlete is defined as someone who competes in a physical sport. Your analogy doesn't hold because that person isn't competing for anything.

However, we do not live in an age where competing is mainly a physical act. Competitions have broadened to a point where we have people competing in cars, over chess or video games, etc. Sure, they don't require nearly as much physical exertion as football does, but these people are still dedicating their lives to competing, they have sports psychologists, coaches, teammates, leagues they play in. Why do we limit the definition of it athlete to JUST physical, tangible exertion of energy? Why does it not include the mental exertion and training that is required?

Because most people do not understand the sheer energy and dedication it takes to be the best at whatever it is that you want to compete at. Because limiting the definition of athlete to only physical exertion would be to change the status quo, because they don't respect esports.

I appreciate the response. I made a follow-up not long after my first post to you, since my brain was still asking questions, hah.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
You can chalk it up to me being from an older generation, but I don't agree with this at all.

The way you phrase it, someone that sits at a desk at a bank for 9 hours a day for five days a week (talking to customers, setting up loans, reviewing accounts), then takes care of their kids for another 3/4, THEN works out on top of that could also be considered an athlete. Yes? If no- why?

I don't know how I feel about Ninja specifically, need to know more about his situation, but people like players on professional esports teams are very much atheletes. They practice for tens of hours days in and days out. They put in an insane amount of dedication and they play at a level where the pressure would make literally anyone choke.

When there's 14 million dollars on the line and you're still able to play to the best of your abilities, even when you have a country of more than a billion rooting against you, then that's professional athlete level mentality, imo.
And this isn't even counting all the mental stress of actually playing the game at the highest level for hours on end.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate the response. I made a follow-up not long after my first post to you, since my brain was still asking questions, hah.

"Chess requires physical exertion as mental exertion manifests itself physically. ... Chess is competitive as the participating players feel the drive to win."

I think this pretty much sums up my point. There is so much more mental exertion involved with esports that it would feel like gatekeeping to deny them the descriptor of athlete.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
So much discussion over what makes someone an athletes when Adidas is a sports and clothing brand who make deals with non athletes pretty fucking often.

I don't understand why it went this way.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I think the weird thing here is that these shoes will never be visible to anyone watching Ninja lol. Unless he makes public appearances I guess.
They just released Game of Thrones and Dragonball Z and Nike did some Spongebob shoes. You aren't going to see those shoes in their respective shows. I don't think it's that complicated.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I gotta say: Ninja has got a helluva hustle. He knows he needs to make the most of his brand. He is really putting his name out there. What a successful young man. I can't even hate.

Go get that money, boy!

Edit: I still say the smartest thing he ever did was trademark his name. Fucking hell, what a play!
The way he keeps going up and up is amazing. Good on the guy, as a young guy, I find it pretty inspiring.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
As a varsity athlete, I'm fine with esports people being athletes. It feels like we do entirely different things, but I can respect the effort and don't really care enough to say that there's a difference.

Also Adidas is great for sponsorships even for small scale sport sponsorships, they make rad shoes and require the least amount of paperwork for you to fill in afterwards so 10/10 always loved them, even when they misspelled your name on letters lol so good on Ninja, especially since this is a huge deal not a small one haha. Like I mean this one actually lets him get paid for one so I'm jealous :P

Feb 1, 2018
There's something rather ironic about an athetlic brand tying themselves to an individual whose profession involves lots of being sedentary, no?

Likewise, I never understood the term "eSports" , but people are into it so let them have fun

It's a shame that there always seems to be such negativity towards him in gaming communities.

It's jealousy, mostly. He gets paid millions to sit around and play video games, an activity that normal people only do on their own time/resources after work. The other thing is his weird "I don't stream with women" thing which is problematic.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Some of you are killing me with this... maybe not by the "traditional" definition of an athlete? I think you mean the ACTUAL definition. People who work ridiculous hours at their craft doesn't make them an athlete. That's not what an athlete is. And no one is trying to discredit him by saying that he is not one. He is at a professional level in his competition, and that's what it takes to be there. But it doesn't make him an athlete. Some of you have been talking about the hours mental and physical practice and work. There are people who do that level of work in many fields but that doesn't make them athletes. The term athletics is what defines an athlete and it is PHYSICAL sports and games. Video games are not physical. Don't come at me with, oh it's hell on your hands and wrists or talk about mental strain. So is coding or writing and I assure you that those who do it on a professional level as high as ninja put it just as many hours if not more, but they aren't athletes nor do they claim to have a physical profession. No one is trying to discredit him or any other gamers by saying they aren't athletes. Their work (and frankly their bank accounts) speak for themselves.

Having said all that, I really don't know how this guy does it. It's incredible and good for him. As someone who has zero interest in what he does, it blows me away that he can be this successful.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Surely to be an athlete you have to be doing something athletic.

Video games are not athletic.

I say this as a Ninja fan and someone who really enjoys esports.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I'm honestly surprised only because I thought he peaked last year.

Just goes to show that your perspective can be distorted when you leave a specific gaming community after getting bored of it.

Weird how that works ;)

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always lol when I see the mental gymnastics around people trying to make esports seem like this great physical strain.
Ain't no mental gymnastics involved. This is based on real world cases. You play a game like StarCraft, Dota, Counter Strike at the high levels and it will take a toll on your hands and wrist.
Not that "how much damage it does to your body" is in anyway some sort of measure for what makes something a sport. Fishing is a sport after all.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Please never write the sentence "Diego Umehara, the greatest cyber athlete of all time..."

At the start of some piece you write.

I'm begging you man.

Well no, because he'd apparently write "Diego Umehara, the greatest athlete of all time...", because these guys are totally athletes without the need for any qualifier. 🙄

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
He gets paid millions to sit around and play video games, an activity that normal people only do on their own time/resources after work.

That's a ridiculously reductive take in regards to the hard work and preparation that successful streamers, youtubers, etc do. Their jobs sound miserable quite frankly.