• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Full patch notes

Some highlights

What's New?

Slipstreams

Get around locations quickly with the new Slipstream wind transportation system.

New Locations

Explore new points of interest that emerged from the destruction of the Volcano like Neo Tilted and Mega Mall.

Weapons + Items

• Added Combat Shotgun
    • Semi-Automatic
      • Holds 10 Shells.
      • Fires 9 pellets per shot for 73 / 77 / 81 base damage.
      • Tight spread and fast fire rate.
      • Headshot multiplier of 1.70x.
      • Reloads 2 shells at a time.
    • Available in Rare, Epic, and Legendary variants.
    • Available from Floor, Chests, Supply Drops, and Vending Machines
  • Adjusted Tactical Shotgun damage
    • Base damage increased from 66/70/74 to 71/75/79
  • Reduced Drum Gun availability from 16.732% to 7.155%
  • Reduced Boom Bow availability from 1.292% to .755%
  • Unvaulted Grenades
  • Vaulted Clingers
  • Vaulted Buried Treasure
  • Vaulted Pump Shotgun
  • Vaulted Poison Dart Trap
  • Vaulted Scoped Revolver
  • Vaulted Suppressed Assault Rifle
  • Vaulted Thermal Assault Rifle
  • Vaulted Balloons

Gameplay

• Slipstreams
    • These tunnels of wind passively carry players down the stream.
      • Players can move faster and change direction when actively trying to move down the Stream.
      • Use directional input to gain extra velocity. Experiment with bobbing up and down for higher speeds.
    • Players are launched when exiting the tube based on their movement speed and exit angle.
    • Projectiles and Vehicles can also enter the Slipstream.
  • Air Vents
    • The powerful gusts of air from these environmental items can launch players short distances and grant immunity to fall damage.
  • Fortbytes
    • Fortbytes are a series of 100 collectible computer chips available to Battle Pass owners. As you collect Fortbytes, you'll decrypt a mysterious image. Collect them all to unlock rewards and uncover the secrets of Season 9.
    • On the first day of Season 9, there are 18 Fortbytes available to find. At least 1 new Fortbyte will be unlocked each day. Check the Challenges Tab for detailed information on which Fortbytes are currently available and when the others unlock.
    • Fortbytes cannot be collected after Season 9 ends.
  • Disconnected players will stay in the world for 60 seconds. They still take damage and count for elimination points.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
RIP PEELY

Taken so soon. He wasn't even overripe. :(

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Was hoping S9 might bring me back but I'm not feeling the hype. Futuristic areas and slipstreams look great, but the Battle Pass just seems like the same old formula at this point. And the only new BP mechanic being Fortbytes just feels like another type of challenge to try force players back every day, in which they'll just Google where things are / look at a map and get killed whilst trying to do so.

I enjoy the challenges but the past few seasons have started to feel more like busywork and a distraction from actually playing the game itself.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Nerfing shotguns is something I've wanted for the longest time, this makes me want to play again.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
tenor.gif

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Regarding the cinematic trailer:

rip peely

Also future Jonesy's cape is Peely's skin

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new areas look neat and the new skins are cool, but the pass seems even grindier than before, which was no easy feat to pull off for sure. Also not a huge fan of the fact the game is becoming a playground of sorts with a billion vehicles, skateboards, slipstreams, portals and whatever. But that's just me considering the amount of players.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Vaulted Pump: Nice, this season is going to be excellent.

Vaulted Balloons: Nevermind, season is trash. Bring back season 8.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Half the skins are kinda trashy, especially the last one. The mecha is very good but only the second style :/
Fucking hate that they removed the 5 free tiers if you got the last BP. Even greedier than before, the 30% xp doesn't compensate for SHIT. It would have to be multiplicative with other XP bonuses to compensate.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
These map changes are awesome. BP looks great too. This is why this game stays on top.

Deleted member 16609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
Nerfing shotguns is something I've wanted for the longest time, this makes me want to play again.
I got to play this morning before heading to the gym. And man it you really have to get those headshots and chest ones in now. No more flicking the damn shotgun and getting some good damage. Is like the tactile one but a tighter spread. Love the map now. So many ways to travel. But the only issue I saw and it happened to others is getting into a fight around them. You cannot build through them and sometimes you will get sucked in. I wish they were a little higher because you don't have to build that high to get caught by one. Again this is not around the whole map. But I noticed it happened a lot by the new locations.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
I obviously haven't kept up to date considering this is a surprise to me. I played a ton before season 8 and dropped off.

Finally doing something to tilted will bring me back.

And they vaulted the pump!? There is a God!

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In Save the World PvE mode it sort of does. But in the BR mode things just happen and there isn't really a story.
I dunno, I'd say there is a loose sort of story. It sucks and doesn't have a point beyond explaining map changes but it's still there in the sense that events are connected.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
My son asked me to wake him up at 3 am so he could download the update... :-|

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
holy fuck

They vaulted the dumbass pump shotgun. That actually might get me to really get into playing this again. That has been a mandatory inventory slot for the longest time.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Wow love the futuristic areas and vibe.

I finally dropped off the game in S8 but this might bring me back.

Was hoping S9 might bring me back but I'm not feeling the hype. Futuristic areas and slipstreams look great, but the Battle Pass just seems like the same old formula at this point. And the only new BP mechanic being Fortbytes just feels like another type of challenge to try force players back every day, in which they'll just Google where things are / look at a map and get killed whilst trying to do so.

I enjoy the challenges but the past few seasons have started to feel more like busywork and a distraction from actually playing the game itself.

Yeah I've not really bothered myself with the challenges for the past couple of seasons and just decided to enjoy the game, it's more fun that way. If there's a reward I really want I can just wait til the last few weeks and it'll be much easier to rank up for it then.

Apr 8, 2018
Well, the Avengers Endgame event kinda got me back into Fortnite, so I'm in. I'm quite digging the futuristic theme.

Much like Season 8, the tier 100 Battle Pass skin looks kinda lame imo. I won't be too mad if I don't reach max tier at the end of the season.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Looks pretty cool. I don't even play but it makes me want to give it a go. But I know I'll download it, not be willing to pay for the battle pass because I'm not invested in the game, have a pretty mediocre time during gameplay, then never come back again.

I'm stuck on Apex right now, and the 10 week BP turnaround from Fortnite makes Apex feel even more content dry than it already is.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The pass looks meh to me. Map changes and other stuff look okay though. Will continue to just keep playing the big team modes.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Looks really fun, but ... I'm sitting this pass out for the first time since season 3.

RIP Pump. It's going to be a different game now.