• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
This just seems so scummy on Epic's part.

It's Apple's platform and their rules. It's not like Epic is "the little guy", it's one mega corp attacking another mega corp, and knowing their fans will make a big fuss against the opposition for the entire duration.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a post anywhere with a summation of what's going on exactly?
You don't even need that much..

Epic sued Apple after Apple kicked them off the App Store for implementing an alternative payment for Fortnite, bypassing the App Store 30 percent cut.

Epic did the same for Fortnite on Android and Google followed did the same thing, kicking them off the Play Store. Epic sued them as well.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
They take the same 30% cut apple and Google do

I looked into it and Epic didn't implement the Epic Direct Pay system on console.

Instead they just discounted the prices flat and you pay through the console ecosystem so the console owners still get a cut.

You may be asking yourself why they did this when it's legitimately no different from Apple & Google....and yeah there really isn't an answer.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Google allows users to install other stores.
Epic is definitely smoking something if they feel entitled enough to be on a specific store while dictating the policies of that store.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

It's Apple's platform and their rules. It's not like Epic is "the little guy", it's one mega corp attacking another mega corp, and knowing their fans will make a big fuss against the opposition for the entire duration.
I know smaller devs who are mad at Apple too but smaller devs literally don't have the money to sue. So I mean, this while just money for epic could help the little guy a ton too

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I looked into it and Epic didn't implement the Epic Direct Pay system on console.

Instead they just discounted the prices flat and you pay through the console ecosystem so the console owners still get a cut.

You may be asking yourself why they did this when it's legitimately no different from Apple & Google....and yeah there really isn't an answer.
Weird

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They take the same 30% cut apple and Google do
And? The whole point of contention here is that Epic was circumventing the app store to create a direct revenue stream outside of the walls of the app store. There are plenty of games on well at least Xbox and PS4 that have subscription fees and purchases that can be done outside of the ecosystem of both of those stores and neither of them care.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Epic is definitely smoking something if they feel entitled enough to be on a specific store while dictating the policies of that store.

Yeah, I don't get why Google pulled it. Or why Epic is fighting. Google allows other app stores. Google also allows alternate payment methods. I don't get this.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Yeah, Epic definitely has far less ground to stand on compared to their Apple lawsuit when Google doesn't ban alternative storefronts on Android.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA

Well Sony and Microsoft are current subscribers to their unreal engine...

Just speculating.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
eDAOKhc.jpg

BDE moves from Epic.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
You realize the situation Is incredibly worse than with Wintel right?
I disagree, Apple came into an incredibly fractured phone market, created a product people wanted, and thrived. I 100% don't agree with everything they do (I don't think they should be allowed to have services like Apple Music that have an inherent advantage versus Spotify etc) but Microsoft/Intel did some legit scummy things like paying companies not to sell competitors hardware, or making competing apps literally not function or function far worse for no reason.

You're basically arguing that companies that literally put in zero work should be allowed to take advantage of the customer base that Apple has spent billions of dollars growing, and that Apple should have no problem covering 100% of the cost of maintaining and improving the platform and customer base all these app developers use.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Interesting that Epic had a video and media campaign ready to go for when Fortnite was taken down from Apples App Store, but nothing yet for Google, kinda makes it look like they didn't expect Google to also go through with banning it..?
Yeah that's my first thought. I'm not really into fortnite but have they mentioned google in an in game video yet?

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I know smaller devs who are mad at Apple too but smaller devs literally don't have the money to sue. So I mean, this while just money for epic could help the little guy a ton too
But what's the reasoning, once a platform is big enough they just have to let everyone use it without paying any money?

If Epic wins this it sets a big precedent that all other storefronts will have to follow.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Wouldn't this be like Microsoft controlling what software is put onto Windows, and how companies should sell their products?

Because even though yes Epic is a big company, they have a point against Apple and Google.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
By suing Google, Epic demonstrates that the stated goals for the Apple lawsuit aren't satisfactory to them.

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
Does Epic even have a chance in these courts? Like these are probably going to take years, so epic games could be losing billions from this, since they wont get any revenue from app store or play store for a couple of years

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the argument is a lot weaker since they aren't restricted to only Google play store on Android? Of course, Epic already tried bypassing the Google Play Store with options like a direct download through their own website and using Samsung's app store, but the whole reason Fortnite is back on Google Play is that those options didn't result in a ton of traffic (unsurprisingly).

SonicFighterV

May 13, 2019
Do you think Epic would be happy if Apple and Google changed their policies such that any company, which makes less than a certain amount or less than these many installs, pay 20% and other bigger apps or revenue generators pay 30% ?

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I disagree, Apple came into an incredibly fractured phone market, created a product people wanted, and thrived. I 100% don't agree with everything they do (I don't think they should be allowed to have services like Apple Music that have an inherent advantage versus Spotify etc) but Microsoft/Intel did some legit scummy things like paying companies not to sell competitors hardware, or making competing apps literally not function or function far worse for no reason.

You're basically arguing that companies that literally put in zero work should be allowed to take advantage of the customer base that Apple has spent billions of dollars growing, and that Apple should have no problem covering 100% of the cost of maintaining and improving the platform and customer base all these app developers use.
Yes.

They sell devices. Once I own it it's my own fucks what I do with it.

And it might even be that I don't want to even use their software. It's my right as a consumer.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Breaking:

It a joint statement Apple and Epic Games will increase the cost of their games so the existing 30% cut amount can be gained by both corporations.

Edit

/s