• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Different App Stores, sideloading - no thanks, fuck that, I don't want the iPhone to become like "open windows", that's a dated OS model with all sorts of security problems - see every windows multiplayer game ever (cheating because anyone can run any software in the background) vs closed walled garden systems where this just doesn't happen.
you can already side load whatever the hell you want onto an iphone because they are all functionally devkits, all you need is a mac. so this argument doesn't hold water.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
So if epic wins and apple has to allow third party store fronts, wouldn't that have a massive impact on microsoft/nintendo/sony's own console store fronts. Considering the money the console manufactures make there, that would be quite the shake up in the console space.

The console manufacturers could argue the existence of physical games and the second hand market.

ScubaSteve693

Banned
Mar 26, 2020
you can already side load whatever the hell you want onto an iphone because they are all functionally devkits, all you need is a mac. so this argument doesn't hold water.
The big difference here is you can do it without the need of a secondary device on Android, in comparison to what you just mentioned with the need to have a Mac for iPhones. What % of Apple users also have a Mac? I don't think the % would be high enough for this point to warranty much validity in the grand scheme of things. I personally know many people with iPhones and iPads, but do not have a Mac.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine MS starting charging 30% for everything sold on Windows. Different fucking reaction then.

That would be ludicrous. However Microsoft did develop and now maintains its own PC software storefront, and they charge 30% for that. That's also not with this is. This would be more akin to Microsoft getting a 30% cut on everything bought through Google Chrome, which to be fair is also ludicrous because again they're neither responsible for nor are they actively doing anything to facilitate that transaction in particular.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
Definitely more on the side of Epic. Why should we be forced to have one storefront on our systems? Why can't, say, Steam release their own store on, even, Switch? Makes no sense not to, other than the owner of the hardware makes less money. I always thought 30% was ridiculous, and if a company wants to give you access to their own store on a system so they can control their own sales etc...thats better for everyone else.

U Know Me

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was fortnite always on the playstore? I haven't played it in a long time but I remember having to download a separate launcher not on the playstore at some point.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The big difference here is you can do it without the need of a secondary device on Android, in comparison to what you just mentioned with the need to have a Mac for iPhones. What % of Apple users also have a Mac? I don't think the % would be high enough for this point to warranty much validity in the grand scheme of things. I personally know many people with iPhones and iPads, but do not have a Mac.
there are ways around it even without a mac. if you're determined to side load you will, it's already fairly easy (trivial with a mac, easy enough to use altstore without).

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
This should be zoomed out once more to show Epic pointing a gun at itself as it destroys every ounce of goodwill it possibly had in this situation with that ludicrous 1984 / Apple video and the subsequent mobilization of its fanbase.
Who cares. Really. Are you offended in place of their fanbase? Corporations gonna corporate, and consumers should always side with more choices, both when it hurts Epic and when it doesn't.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taking on Google and Apple? Holy fuck at Epic's hubris. I honestly hope they get demolished.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
That would be ludicrous. However Microsoft did develop and now maintains its own PC software storefront, and they charge 30% for that. That's also not with this is. This would be more akin to Microsoft getting a 30% cut on everything bought through Google Chrome, which to be fair is also ludicrous because again they're neither responsible for nor are they actively doing anything to facilitate that transaction in particular.
Yes their completely optional storefront charges 30%.

What I said is what this is. You install Steam on Windows, 30% to MS. You install anything at all they get 30%. That's apples model.

Their whole business model is so utterly shakily dependent on other companies apps. They would be destroyed without them and they still treat them like fucking shit.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Was fortnite always on the playstore? I haven't played it in a long time but I remember having to download a separate launcher not on the playstore at some point.
It was only added to the Play Store in April.

Didn't see that twist coming.
Well...they went for the throat of Apple and Google. If developers had an option to use any payment system they wanted, that would explode the business model for those app stores. There was never any doubt that both would be kicking Fortnite off their store. The only doubt is whether Epic have the legal grounds to force a change in scenario that works in their favour.

ScubaSteve693

Banned
Mar 26, 2020
Taking on Google and Apple? Holy fuck at Epic's hubris. I honestly hope they get demolished.
So..you would want to see a company in this instance fighting the good fight get demolished? Why shouldn't Apple get hammered when they are actively screwing the people who actually make the apps and games? Your point of view is a bit ridiculous.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wife is too deep in iOS to move but I've refused to touch apple stuff for over a decade. They are one of the worst companies to its customers yet people still buy in droves. It's shocking how such a shitty company can still be so damn rich and fans just...are addicted.
Because they provide a good user experience and quality design and material.

Every single piece of technology has downsides.

I really hope whatever shakes out, the results are xCloud and other streaming options are allowed on iOS.

ScubaSteve693

Banned
Mar 26, 2020
there are ways around it even without a mac. if you're determined to side load you will, it's already fairly easy (trivial with a mac, easy enough to use altstore without).
The point is, why make it more difficult for the users of your devices to be able to get certain apps on your phone, just because you want to say "Fuck the consumer you HAVE to buy using Apple Pay"? Trying to spin this as Epic being greedy for Epic's benefit only as a lot of people here area doing is people just shitting on Epic to shit on Epic, no other way around it.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This should be zoomed out once more to show Epic pointing a gun at itself as it destroys every ounce of goodwill it possibly had in this situation with that ludicrous 1984 / Apple video and the subsequent mobilization of its fanbase.
I'd say it's more of a bet on Epic's part where they are wagering all their clout in hope of forcing Apple's hand

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
And uhh Apple doesn't spend billions developing new iPhones annually?
Yeah the argument has a lot more nuance to it to it than this. Tim / Epic conveniently blot out certain realities.
Is he really this fucking dumb, that is literally Apple's model too.

Not here defending him, but I think what he's saying is that PlayStation and Xbox's entire existence of their platform is to sell games and he doesn't view that Apple/Google's PC/Mobiles platform's were built for gamers, they were built to sell phones/ads etc.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Where does this end?

You can only buy Fornite currency on PS4 and Xbox via their respective stores which take their cut, so will they drop next?

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The point is, why make it more difficult for the users of your devices to be able to get certain apps on your phone, just because you want to say "Fuck the consumer you HAVE to buy using Apple Pay"? Trying to spin this as Epic being greedy for Epic's benefit only as a lot of people here area doing is people just shitting on Epic to shit on Epic, no other way around it.
oh, i'm not trying to spin anything, i was just responding to a comment saying apple loosening restrictions would lead to cheaters or something which doesn't make sense. :)

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Not here defending him, but I think what he's saying is that PlayStation and Xbox's entire existence of their platform is to sell games and he doesn't view that PC/Mobiles platform's were built for gamers, they were built to sell phones/ads etc.

Yeah, I fully agree with that, still there's far more to it than that on both sides of the argument. If Sony and MS were not giving Epic favourable terms, you can bet they'd be in the firing line also.

ScubaSteve693

Banned
Mar 26, 2020
oh, i'm not trying to spin anything, i was just responding to a comment saying apple loosening restrictions would lead to cheaters or something which doesn't make sense. :)
I'm also not trying to say you in particular are spinning this to be a "Apple good guy" scenario, speaking in general terms as people seem to only hate on Epic because it is Epic, even when Epic does in some instances provide some very consumer/developer friendly moves!

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
still don't understand how iOS is different then the consoles. Sony/MS/Nintendo have closed ecosystems that only accept payment through them and exist at the whim of the company. Should epic be suing everyone?
It's about monopolisation. Apple have such a huge market share of one of the main forms of an everyday electronic device that almost everyone owns and they have complete control over everything to do with it, to the point where any competition within the iOS software market can be snuffed out on their whim. That's just not comparable to Playstation, Xbox and Nintendo.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
What's their leverage now? I don't get it. Where do Fortnite players switch to if neither Apple nor Android have the game..?
Android owners can still play the game if they are willing to jump through a few hoops (most are not).

However I don't think Epic's plan was ever to play these two stores off against each other by withholding Fortnite from one but not the other. They knowingly took actions that would get them booted off both stores. It looks like their plan is to use that removal to give them standing to sue Apple (the suit they've already filed), and I guess we have to wait and see what they intend to do about Google.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but pretty sure they were already doing that before Epic Game Store was a thing, so it legit didn't matter
Off course! Everything epic has been doing is to stir the pot to get the attention on themselves, epic game store or their products like fortnite. pick a fight with valve, pick a fight with apple under the disguise of being freedom fighters for the little guy. whatever epic does only benefits epic, not the indie devs or the small studios. just epic, like money hatting exclusives that in the end only serves epic in the long term.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Scenerio A: Epic gets their clock cleaned, and in the process cements 30% as the digital distribution store cut into case law. Valve spends a week kicking themselves for preemptively reducing their store cut.

Scenerio B: Epic and Apple reach a settlement, which will almost certainly involve Epic getting the special treatment they blatantly want for themselves exclusively, and everyone else has to live with the 30% store cut. Everyone calls Tim Sweeny an opportunistic hypocrite.

Scenerio C: Epic wins, and immediately uses the case to badly undermine the business model of PlayStation, Xbox and Nintendo. After all, they do get a significant cut from all copies, physical or digital, and they don't allow any third parties, such as Epic, to distribute console games digitally. Everyone who's been vocally supporting Epic realises they've been swindled.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Android owners can still play the game if they are willing to jump through a few hoops (most are not).

However I don't think Epic's plan was ever to play these two stores off against each other by withholding Fortnite from one but not the other. They knowingly took actions that would get them booted off both stores. It looks like their plan is to use that removal to give them standing to sue Apple (the suit they've already filed), and I guess we have to wait and see what they intend to do about Google.
Bold strategy, Cotton.

ScubaSteve693

Banned
Mar 26, 2020
Off course! Everything epic has been doing is to stir the pot to get the attention on themselves, epic game store or their products like fortnite. pick a fight with valve, pick a fight with apple under the disguise of being freedom fighters for the little guy. whatever epic does only benefits epic, not the indie devs or the small studios. just epic, like money hatting exclusives that in the end only serves epic in the long term.
So, you legitimately don't see how not having to use Apple's payment services, which in turn will increase the cut developers get from sales, isn't good especially for indie developers? What the actual fuck?

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not here defending him, but I think what he's saying is that PlayStation and Xbox's entire existence of their platform is to sell games and he doesn't view that Apple/Google's PC/Mobiles platform's were built for gamers, they were built to sell phones/ads etc.
No not really

Consoles are either sold at a loss or for little profit

they make their money on licensing games

also their 30% existed pre digital sales and now they handle download bandwidth....constant large bandwidth...for the same cut

Apple sells phone for huge profits from moment one

Honestly android is sort of like console makers with only getting a licensing fee