• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
mL7LWIo.jpg

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
All these "fuck Apple" posts are dumb as shit. It's like someone cheering a can of Coke being shoplifted because they hate the wide profit margins on soda. There was no deception, fraud, or antitrust behavior. The fees are incredibly clear. A video game is not insulin and Apple can charge whatever the fuck they want to host an app. If Epic believes the platform is too expensive, they can simply drop iOS support.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I think my ideal outcome here is: Case drags for a year and Apple loses the case and must allow competing stores on iOS. However, kids stuck with their iPhones and just find other games to play. Fortnight never recovers. Both companies eat shit.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Except it IS huge corp vs. huge corp. As a consumer, I honestly don't give a shit what Epic's margins are, or whether Apple is taking a cut.

Whatever happens here will only affect Epic's and Apple's pockets.
I mean, I'm 99.9% sure this will not lead to anything except a suuper minor change in climate and exceptance of the closed nature of apple devices, BUT in theory this could lead to a court saying that platform holders are not allowed to charge whatever they want because they have a storefront monopoly, the charges need to be transparent and reasonable for the services they bring to the store's client (meaning they'd need to justify a 30% cut... is that anywhere in relation to the effort it takes them or are they just using their market muscle). And that would lead to industry wide changes that could be interesting and possibly pro-consumer.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Real talk.

What is an antitrust case?
Epic are claiming that Apple's preventing competing app stores and competing payment methods on iOS is unlawful, being an unreasonable restraint of trade.

They argue that Apple's total control over what happens on IOS regarding app stores, payments and the 30% cut is anticompetitive and a detriment to app developers and consumers alike.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Isn't it their right to do so? Their product, their operating system, their choice. They aren't stopping people from buying a competing product for the freedom of such closed platforms. People buy Apple devices, along with many other things, for their closed and curated simplified experience.

PS: I am not pro Apple usually but this case is just absurd. I get it that Apple is too big for it's own good.
It comes to a point with most things that when you gain so much of the market share your responsibilities almost change. It is I guess their right to do so, technically. However doesn't mean they should. Especially since because their market share is so large app developers often have to just accept whatever they are told because if not they lose a shit ton of market share.

When companies get that large, practices like this are abusive to the industry. Full stop.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
they were the first and it paved the way for all streaming apps to benefit.

Apple's app store policies need to be updated and modernized (granted it was a wildly different market in 2008), but twitter slapfights aren't the way to get it done.

Do you have a source that says they negotiated terms? IIRC they simply removed the option to pay in-app and that was within existing iOS TOS at the time.

techcrunch.com

Netflix stops paying the 'Apple tax' on its $853M in annual iOS revenue | TechCrunch

Earlier this year, Netflix was seen testing a bypass of iTunes billing across dozens of markets worldwide. As 2018 draws to a close, Netflix -- the App

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
All these "fuck Apple" posts are dumb as shit. It's like someone cheering a can of Coke being shoplifted because they hate the wide profit margins on soda. There was no deception, fraud, or antitrust behavior. The fees are incredibly clear. A video game is not insulin and Apple can charge whatever the fuck they want to host an app. If Epic believes the platform is too expensive, they can simply drop iOS support.
Sounds like you might soon be proven wrong there, bud.

Truly a shitty day for libertarians.

The Mollusk

May 13, 2019
It seems odd to me that people are so upset about their cloud gaming and Mac discounts that won't acknowledge why lots people buy IPhones. They want the security of the walled garden. It's what makes people feel safe enough to put their bank accounts and credit cards into their phone. The minute you officially allow everyone to load other software that safety vanishes.

I think people very much understand the appeal of the "walled garden" from this aspect. The question for the courts will be if the financial leverage and control Apple is able to exert over developers as a result of maintaining this control is justifiable.

Nintendo's total control over manufacturing and publishing on the original NES in the U.S. was likely heavily beneficial to helping revive the industry in this country, and companies went along with it for years. But time and pressure have a way of changing things.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
I like the apple devices, but being stuck with only their OS and store sounds like a nightmare to me right now, hopefully some good changes can come.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Epic about to get the same medicine they fed Silicon Knights once Apple Lawyers file the Countersuit.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't heard a single consumer complain about this.. only billion dollar companies that want more $$

its an issue for SURE but its not something the normal person is giving a shit about. Some of them can't even pay rent right now.

Many consumers complained actually. Spotify is more expensive through iOS than directly from Spotify.

Nov 14, 2017
I mean yeah of course it does, it's partly why this is such a big deal.
I quickly scanned through the complaint, and it's kind of incredible how much they talk about how the app store operates and the video game market, but completely ignore games consoles. They compare phone OSs to desktop computer OSs, and completely ignore the obvious point of comparison that is games console OSs. XBox in particular runs on a modified Hyper-V with the game running alongside a version of Windows. They must know that the comparison undermines their argument.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't play Fortnite, but did they do anything for the Black Lives Matter movement or the George Floyd protests this year? Surely with their reach, they would use it for good and not to make (even more) money.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Homophobic, transphobic, racist, sexist and crunchy companies
Gamers: I sleep
Company makes slightly less money
Gamers: REAL SHIT.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Epic are claiming that Apple's preventing competing app stores and competing payment methods on iOS is unlawful, being an unreasonable restraint of trade.

Interesting. This is a really bizarre case.

On one hand, I agree that Apple has the right to do whatever they want...Its their ecosystem.

On another hand, is it not basically a monopoly on the mobile game market? Sure, Android exists...But 30% or 0% is basically a "bend over and take it or peace out", right? What does the Android vs iOS marketshare look like???

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
I struggle to see how the argument they make about Apple controlling app distribution on iOS doesn't also apply to Sony or MS on their consoles.

This is why I think this entire situation is either going to disappear into nothing or unravel into a gigantic mess. The argument is essentially going to turn into allowing software to run on hardware regardless of the source since there is nothing wrong with Apple setting rules for their App Store just that there is no way to compete with the App Store in a locked down ecosystem. Then that argument will not only cover game consoles but straight up the operating system that any piece of hardware that is meant to act as a gateway to purchasing software.

Deleted member 69573

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
If this ends up removing the requirement to go through apple for in app purchases this is much much larger than just vidya. It probably wont end up doing that but one can dream and this is at least highlighting the highway robbery apple have been engaged in.

I've had clients waste so much time and money + compromise their products and real life business models trying to get around the hefty cuts and app store requirements apple ask for.

Edit: And that's not even mentioning how much of a hassle and time developers have to waste getting through their app approval process, which is only complicated and difficult because of these policies. So this even has consequences for smaller app developers who aren't even trying to make money on the app store.

A good real world metaphor is to think of it as a toll booth on your way home from work where you need to pay 1 company (not the government so it doesnt even theoretically go to the greater good) 30% of what you earned that day. They more or less control and are making unreasonable amounts of money from a very large part of the internet by doing this (while also arbitrarily crippling the profits of potential competitors), it's 100% anti competitive because no one else has the resources to make a competitive product partly due to their app store policies. It has real world consequences as I outlined above, it's not just big guys like Epic that this fucks over.

The next step in your argument is to ask people to go make their own app store if they're so unhappy.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tbh if not for apple's stubbornness to control the platform epic would have almost no leverage. I can't imagine they can go against Google the same way, since they always point to android's side-loading feature.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm looking forward to see the settlement Epic will have to pay Apple in about half a decade's time.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
A couple of things to note which might help people decide who to get mad at or root for
  • Epic is protesting the 30% Apple revenue cut by bypassing Apples system and is offering only a 20% discount to consumers thereby making even more money per transaction
  • Google Play has exactly the same rules as Apple regarding alternate stores and payment systems. They are just way more lax at enforcing them.
  • Apple, Google, Sony PlayStation, Microsoft, Nintendo, and Steam all have a 30% revenue share and (mostly) similar rules with respect to their platform and ecosystem (Steam being somewhat of an outlier), so Apple isn't doing anything particularly different than the other platform manufacturers
I personally don't see anybody as "the good guy" here, and nobody involved is in this fight for "the consumer".

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You do realize how odd your take here is right?
There are 2 platforms for smart phones. iOS and Android. It's essentially a 2 headed monopoly with both roughly having a 50% split in both areas. If there were a ton for different options you would have a point. But there is only 2. App developers have 2 places to sell. Period. When half the market is on one platform and you are forced into a shitty situation with Apple or you literally lose HALF the market.

The whole "if you don't like it you can leave" is such a garbage mindset when you are talking about industries like this with literally only 2 options

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Consumers choose to be in that barbed-wire garden, but Apple shouldn't have been allowed to have that in the first place.

Apple was clever to provide select streaming provides a "exclusive program" that they can subscribe to avoid the tax. I don't like either of these super rich parties, but I hate Apple more than Epic so it should be a fun fight.

Last edited:

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
This will be interesting to watch. I mean, Apple *should* get some cut of the money, because they aren't running a free platform. If you want the reach and distribution of the app store, you pay something to be there. 30% is a lot (too much), for sure. But 0 doesn't make sense either, otherwise, what's Apple's incentive to keep running the app store at all? All games pay a license fee (the terms of which vary widely) to be on various platforms (consoles, Steam etc).
30% is the industry standard. We've seen stores try to disrupt it (on PC) with mixed success (RIP, Discord store with its 10% cut). EGS is surviving, but it's still funneling enormous mount of money into freebies and exclusives to generate engagement (and their feature set is still shit)

A court isn't going to pick "what's reasonable", because when courts decide what's "reasonable" they tend to..... look at standard industry practices.

And this lawsuit isn't about the amount of the cut. It's about lack of ability to create a competing storefront to distribute iOS apps, or to create an alternative payment method in iOS apps without paying Apple their share.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Google owns a platform too, right? I guess they give Epic options though or else Epic would have done the same thing to Google. Apple should be more like Google.
I hate google, but android doesn't have the same issue. The only way you can install new software (without jailbreaking) is through the Apple App Store. Not so with google. I think the 30% cut is totally reasonable or at least defensible, IFF they allow other people to run app stores on ios, or allow software to be sideloaded somehow. They do on macs and still do just fine.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

On one hand, I agree that Apple has the right to do whatever they want...Its their ecosystem.

On another hand, is it not basically a monopoly on the mobile game market? Sure, Android exists...But 30% or 0% is basically a "bend over and take it or peace out", right? What does the Android vs iOS marketshare look like???
In most countries it's close to a 50/50 split with each having a bit more in some places than others.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
Apple's cut is the same as Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo's cut, yeah? Doesn't it seem kind of odd that they aren't also defendants in this lawsuit? Maybe I'm not understanding something correctly.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
This lawsuit has been coming for a long time. I have a lot of friends in development, and I have heard every single one of them at one point complain about Apple being unclear, restrictive, rejecting apps for certain features while other/bigger companies have had the same implementation of features they want, and just an overall frustration with the limitations they impose.

People who are framing this as something that we as consumer shouldn't get behind, are not fully understanding the power Apple currently holds over the companies who's apps you love using everyday. It is quite frankly strange that we accept that a device maker, especially of a device that we use for general purposes, to collect a fee on all purchases made with that device.

I think it's a great thing that this power gets challenged and in such as visible way. You may not support Epic as a company, Tim Sweeney as a person and I fully get that, I do. They might be in for the profit, want their own store on iOS etc., but if changes are the result it will benefit all of us. Just for consumers: if this lead to increasing the level of choice, whether it's in payment options, stores to download from or otherwise, it would be a great thing.

BTW: Typing this on my Macbook Pro, with myIpad Pro an Iphone 11 in the same room. I'm not in anyway an Apple hater, but will say they have made some disappointing decisions lately. If it was up to me, we would end up in a situation where multiple payment options are accepted, devs pay for the features provided by Apple they actually want to use. Use the store? Pay a fee for hosting and listing. Use the payment system? Pay a fee on the purchases. The result will be choice and competition, and I see that as a good thing.

Last edited:

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
Do you have a source that says they negotiated terms? IIRC they simply removed the option to pay in-app and that was within existing iOS TOS at the time.

techcrunch.com

Netflix stops paying the 'Apple tax' on its $853M in annual iOS revenue | TechCrunch

Earlier this year, Netflix was seen testing a bypass of iTunes billing across dozens of markets worldwide. As 2018 draws to a close, Netflix -- the App

I know it came up during cook's senate testimony, but got the company wrong - it was Amazon who negotiated a better deal, not netflix

techcrunch.com

Apple's App Store commission structure called into question in antitrust hearing | TechCrunch

Apple CEO Tim Cook defended the company’s App Store commission structure in his sworn testimony before the House Antitrust Subcommittee on Wednesday. He

Calling out cook's BS that "every dev is treated equally" when they 100% are not treated equally

"We treat every developer the same. We have open and transparent rules," Cook said, in his testimony. "It's a rigorous process, because we care so deeply about privacy and security and quality. We do look at every app before it goes on," he added.

But emails in 2016 between Apple SVP Eddy Cue and Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, shared here on the House Judiciary Committee's website, indicate that Apple, in fact, appears to have negotiated a special deal with Amazon over its Amazon Prime Video app for iOS and Apple TV. In an email dated November 2016 — before the 2017 launch of the Prime Video tvOS app — Apple agreed to take only a 15% revenue share for customers that signed up in the app using Apple's payment mechanism. (Typically, subscription apps don't drop from 30% to 15% until year two.)

Apple this April confirmed it had a special program for Prime Video and a small handful of other apps, which were subscription video entertainment providers.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London

That's part of what Epic are arguing: that in practice app developers are forced to use the Apple app store (because of the market share for iOS devices) (and Android), because those two together constitute almost 100% of the market. And then they are forced to allow Apple to take a 30% cut, with no option of promoting their apps on a different app store on iOS or offering another payment method on iOS.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Ah yes, a big moneyhatting company getting 20% less money than it thinks it deserves is something totally comparable to Orwell's totalitarian dystopia.

Apple's store and policies need to change quite a bit, yes, but getting the Fortnite audience to annoy any adult they can find to put pressure on the system is not the way to do it.