• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Microsoft and Sony also taking a 30% cut on V-Bucks purchases? What's the difference here?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Both of the companies just want your money and both are gonna do whatever results in more money for them in the long run.

There are no Heroes here.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
here is a question. should apple be able to control your divice, once you own it? in effect thats what apple is doing by not leting anyone else put their own store on it.
Whether you or I like it or not doesn't matter. The key point is Apples Store has rules. You want to circumvent them, you break those rules. If Epic is allowed special rules then everyone does.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
does anyone know if this "direct payment" method that got them removed from the Appstore is also in the console versions? Or are MS and Sony also restrictive in going outside of their own stores for transactions?
No, all Xbox and Playstation Fortnite transactions has to go through the Xbox Store and the PlayStation Store (and pay the respective stores 30%).

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This will be entertaining.

I mean, we know Fortnite will go back up on iOS but what happens now will be popcorn worthy.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Microsoft and Sony also taking a 30% cut on V-Bucks purchases? What's the difference here?

Epic has had a sweetheart deal with Sony for a long time, they get special exceptions on all kinds of stuff. I would imagine they probably get special terms on V-Bucks commissions as well

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why are people rooting for Epic here? They signed an agreement and broke it. That's business, even corp. like Epic need to Honor them

Because the agreement is shitty and hurts customers, so Apple deserves to be pressured to change it. Honestly they brought this on themselves, it's been a long time coming.

Peekles

Jun 18, 2020
I appreciate the sheer ballsiness of Epic here. Is it all a bit childish? Yeah, but damn this is good entertainment.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Removed als means unplayable? (yeah I rarely game on my phone)
not being on the app store means no updates so whenever the next fortnite update hits all platforms, the game won't be playable on iOS

this PR stunt probs won't even last more than 2 days so as long as you have the game installed, it's not an issue

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Apple's policies are very outdated, but let's not pretend this wouldn't result in even more money for Epic. You're probably going to get more people buying those packs of V-bucks if the price is reduced, even if each individual purchase is still the same revenue for Epic. It's framed for the consumer when it's also very much for Epic.

If Apple reduces the 30% cut on IAP, don't expect the savings to be passed onto the consumers like they did in this publicity stunt.

Also, don't forget that Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo take similar cuts on their platforms. If anything actually changes with Apple's policies, it might create an interesting wave across the other platforms.

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two shitty companies going at it. This was obviously an Epic bait at Apple and they fell right into it. Gotta admire Apple's stubbornness, though.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Why are people rooting for Epic here? They signed an agreement and broke it. That's business, even corp. like Epic need to Honor them
Because Apple's policies are fucking dumb and anything that's done to change it is a good thing even if it's coming from another disingenuous shitty company.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whether you or I like it or not doesn't matter. The key point is Apples Store has rules. You want to circumvent them, you break those rules. If Epic is allowed special rules then everyone does.
Between this and the xCloud/Stadia/GeForce Now debacle and the anti-trust investigation, that's kind of the point. Apple needs to change their App Store policies moving forward.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Apple's policies are very outdated, but let's not pretend this wouldn't result in even more money for Epic. You're probably going to get more people buying those packs of V-bucks if the price is reduced, even if each individual purchase is still the same revenue for Epic. It's framed for the consumer when it's also very much for Epic.

If Apple reduces the 30% cut on IAP, don't expect the savings to be passed onto the consumers like they did in this publicity stunt.

Also, don't forget that Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo take similar cuts on their platforms. If anything actually changes with Apple's policies, it might create an interesting wave across the other platforms.
It's possible Epic has already cut deals with Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo considering the 20 percent discount looks to apply on those platforms.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Who needs Fortnite anyway,

now it's Battlelands Royale and Pixel Gun 3D: Blocky Shooter's time to shine.

fortniteqsjcx.jpeg

Take that Epic!

dakun

Oct 28, 2017
No, all Xbox and Playstation Fortnite transactions has to go through the Xbox Store and the PlayStation Store (and pay the respective stores 30%).
So the only question is if Sony or MS would have removed the game over this issue.. i doubt it because it's huge for both consoles to have this game running.

So Epic chose the company to do this on where they knew they would get removed without much care since Apple really doesn't care about gaming as much. So now everybody will talk about it

fiveshift

Banned
Apr 10, 2018
I was waiting for this after epic announced the work around today, happened quicker than I expected. Surprised there wasn't a thread about it earlier.

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, this is actually great. A really nice one from Epic, other companies should also keep this kind of pressure on.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
but its clear epic is seting up a anti trust fight were apple is going to have to defend why it should mantain control over a divuice it doesnt own.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
On one hand, the 30% cut has been there from day dot. But on the other hand, the world's changed enormously since 2008, cloud services are basically becoming the new external hard drive...

iOS has been my platform of choice since the original iPhone launch, but the policies around stuff like this and the XCloud stuff are absolute bullshit. This might well be a publicity stunt for Epic, but the instant kids can't buy V-Bucks or play cross platform with their mates there will be a shitload of trouble. Not to mention when an update knocks out iOS from the available client pool

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
does anyone know if this "direct payment" method that got them removed from the Appstore is also in the console versions?
Without checking, I'll guarantee you it's not.

Or are MS and Sony also restrictive in going outside of their own stores for transactions?
Yes. If they weren't, publishers would sell you DLC directly through secondary stores. Every major publisher is big enough to operate a payment platform and does enough business on console platforms to make that choice worthwhile for them. They would choose to do so if they had that as an option.

Yes.

The difference is probably some combination of:

- Epic sees starting fights with platform holders as a risk
- Apple have come under pressure recently to change their policies (Epic may overrate how much Apple care about that pressure)
- Apple offer other apps the ability to run direct payment systems, for selling physical goods and real-world services. So there is an approved exception to the rules there, and Epic maybe think they can somehow make it apply to them