• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, ok? This is misleading,I guess, because I don't think that they are on equal ground and this hardly is indicative of actual computing power.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Never played Fortnite but tempted to try this just to tax my iPad Pro. Not sure my PDF reading is pushing it hard enough.

DieEnteWurzel

Oct 31, 2017
120fps Sure must feel nice

could someone with an iPad Pro Provider an ingame Screenshot? Would be really interesting to see (resolution & assets)

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
The iPad Pro is a low key beastly gaming tablet. It has a way better screen the Switch, 120hz support, way better quad speakers and support for the PS4/Xbox controller. The games (that is has) are a lot cheaper than the eShop versions as well.

what I really want on it is Disco Elysium since I'm that would work well on a tablet and Switch probably isn't getting that.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Well with the hardware next-gen consoles have, they can do 240 FPS at 4K.
I hope they consider it and uodate the fame especially that it is a store game so universal at does need only an update.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
People demanding 60fps at all cost are enough. i have absolutely no appetite for higher fps at all cost beyond 60. Buy a pc or some other modular device if your looking for that imo.

Then if we get that we get the cryjng about graphics or scale of the game. I say let console devs optimize games how they want based on their design goals as they always have.

Vr should be the only thing looking at fps above 60

Try 120 or even 144fps games. You'll quickly change your tune.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah that would be cool on console too but why would they bother?
I don't think a lot of people have their console hooked up to a 120hz capable tv or screen.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I'd say 120 FPS @ Medium settings on a mobile device that isn't dedicated to gaming and isn't cooled by a fan is nice no matter which way you look at it. There are other games that support 120 FPS as well. Always nice to see more.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Here's a clip of 120fps on the 2018 iPad Pro for an idea of what the detail looks like. Also, I captured this with the built in iOS screen recording so not sure how that would effect the quality.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
This too. We need more detail on this. Constant 120 FPS at the screen's native resolution and decent settings isn't the same as "up to 120 FPS" at a low resolution and everything set to ultra mega super low

I thought high frame rate fans didn't mind lower quality graphics to achieve those frame rates?

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I have an iPad pro brand new model. I might test this.

Fucking thing cost my company a fortune so it being this capable isn't surprising, what else can it do like this?

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The consoles could so easily do this running the iPad spec version of the game. The visuals are cut down significantly from the main version.

The big issue with consoles and high frame-rates is that very few consumer TVs even support higher than 60fps.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure this game looks much better on Xbox and PS4. If they downgrade it to iOS level graphics they'd also run with 120 fps.

Edit: just saw dark1x' comment

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

Yeah in performance mode on the 2018 model. Looks decent but it's definitely blurrier with some missing effects.

I'm pretty sure this game looks much better on Xbox and PS4. If they downgrade it to iOS level graphics they'd also run with 120 fps.

Edit: just saw dark1x' comment

The most impressive thing is the screen itself. It's even crazier to think that the 2017 model basically had the same one.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
For those excited that this can run at 120fps, Moonlight game streaming (Nvidia only) can stream games at 120fps on capable iPads as well. I played a bit of Fortnite at 120fps on my iPad months ago with it and it's pretty nice. I've got a 2017 Pro so I can't try this version out.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
When I set to 120fps it changes the graphic quality to medium. I've not really played Fortnite before so not sure how it compares. There is also high (60fps) and epic (30fps) graphics settings.

Oct 26, 2017
People demanding 60fps at all cost are enough. i have absolutely no appetite for higher fps at all cost beyond 60. Buy a pc or some other modular device if your looking for that imo.

Then if we get that we get the cryjng about graphics or scale of the game. I say let console devs optimize games how they want based on their design goals as they always have.

Vr should be the only thing looking at fps above 60
This trend benefits everyone. The more demand there is for very high fps the more games will at least aim for 60 rather than 30 on mid-range devices such as consoles.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
For those excited that this can run at 120fps, Moonlight game streaming (Nvidia only) can stream games at 120fps on capable iPads as well. I played a bit of Fortnite at 120fps on my iPad months ago with it and it's pretty nice. I've got a 2017 Pro so I can't try this version out.

ooh nice. Only have a 1080 but that should still be decent for some games. Never tried 120hz as my monitor doesn't support it, but going to try grid and fortnite (never played fortnite)

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This trend benefits everyone. The more demand there is for very high fps the more games will at least aim for 60 rather than 30 on mid-range devices such as consoles.

On closed boxes it makes sense to sqeeze as much as devs can out of the hardware. As long as its not a fighting game i have no issues with 30fps. If devs want to make a game 60fps from the start of development thats fine. But i have no interest in mandating res or fps in favor of other things related to games. Just my opinion.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Here's a clip of 120fps on the 2018 iPad Pro for an idea of what the detail looks like. Also, I captured this with the built in iOS screen recording so not sure how that would effect the quality.

Looks awful compared to the console versions of the game. Streaming in level of detail at like 5 feet from the player, including shadows. A very compromised way to play the game.

I suppose it would be more work on the developers part, but it would make more sense to me to use the increased performance to push for better detail as opposed to a higher framerate.

Oct 26, 2017
On closed boxes it makes sense to sqeeze as much as devs can out of the hardware. As long as its not a fighting game i have no issues with 30fps. If devs want to make a game 60fps from the start of development thats fine. But i have no interest in mandating res or fps in favor of other things related to games. Just my opinion.
I think users should be given the ability to choose between settings whenever possible.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Didn't know the iPad's screen supported such a high refresh rate. Doesn't it kill the battery?

Only on the second and third generation iPad Pros. It dynamically changes depending on what app/content you're using so the battery life is still very good. It's by far the best feature of the Pro and ruins 60hz devices once you go back, even for basic stuff like scrolling a web page.

iPhone should be getting it this year I assume.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
It's been years waiting for TV standards to move forwards. HDMI 2.1 is a wonderful blessing and will be a huge step forward for next-gen consoles and gaming in the living room. And thankfully we have LG with their OLED C9+ products that's pushing forward and getting this technology out in the markets in time (epic fail from Sony's TV division in contrast, I wonder how their meetings with PlayStation went down).

I'm guessing Fortnite might be one of the first 120hz experiences we will see on the next-gen consoles. But for most experiences, just for developers to dare aim for 60hz would be an enormous upgrade (pushing past 60 and we're seeing diminishing returns, 30->60 is equivalent leap to 60->165+).

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The consoles could so easily do this running the iPad spec version of the game. The visuals are cut down significantly from the main version.

The big issue with consoles and high frame-rates is that very few consumer TVs even support higher than 60fps.

Yeah, they're getting there at least. Even some mid ranges have 120Hz panels like some Vizio models. Just wonder how consumer upgrade patterns will actually make it even somewhat commonplace though.

Fortunately, running PC games at 1440p 120Hz on my LG C9 is such a lovely experience. Roll on 3080ti or Big Navi with HDMI 2.1.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Apple chips are fucking beasts in the mobile/tablet space, nothing comes close. I can't wait for them to up their chip game and start using them in their macbooks.
I think the main obstacle for that would be software, not hardware. They need to adapt OSX for arm, and achieve a large degree of software compatibility. I'm sure they are working on it though. Battery capacity on MacBooks are going through the roof once it's achieved.

Oct 27, 2017
120 fps is fine, but the game looks veeeery cut down from even the switch version ( yes I'm aware it runs at 30fps but still)
I don't think I would enjoy playing in this mode

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I only own a monitor so I haven't really encountered this, but don't a lot of tvs still cap out at 60fps?

This could be a big problem if some next gen games are going higher than 60fps.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Even the base consoles could run this game at 120+ fps easily with these settings. It's the output to display that's limited and locked.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Only on the second and third generation iPad Pros. It dynamically changes depending on what app/content you're using so the battery life is still very good. It's by far the best feature of the Pro and ruins 60hz devices once you go back, even for basic stuff like scrolling a web page.

iPhone should be getting it this year I assume.
iPhones might be getting a version more aggressive with switching between 60/120 than the Pros which are 99% battery and charge off 12W power warts