• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I tried it and it's really stunning. A12X is a beast. I mean, it runs full-spec Civ 6 with all the expansions. Not at a great FPS, but it's still very playable.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
Dude, I am happy with 60 FPS on consoles as that is a task that is unreachable right now. I don't even want to think about 120FPS. I don't, I can't.

But it is good to see that on PC these things are normal and now iPad as well.

Feb 1, 2018
lol at all the "well ackshually" responses

Just give Apple's mobile chip team the credit and move on. Nobody's forcing you to buy an iPad

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
you could hit 120fps on a calculator if you just turn the graphics way down.
Lots of people don't understand that and say stuff about how devs can finally hit 60fps next gen, ignoring that they can always improve the effects and visuals instead and end up back at 30fps. Anything can be any frame rate if you make it technically compromised.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Apple chips are fucking beasts in the mobile/tablet space, nothing comes close. I can't wait for them to up their chip game and start using them in their macbooks. Fuck intel.

You know that ipad gets hot as fuck you if you play for more than 20 minutes.

Who cares? So do laptops. You just connect a controller and you play while it sits in front of you.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
Lots of people don't understand that and say stuff about how devs can finally hit 60fps next gen, ignoring that they can always improve the effects and visuals instead and end up back at 30fps. Anything can be any frame rate if you make it technically compromised.
But what do we gamers want..? Shouldn't that matter. I honestly don't care for effects and visuals - Just give me 60 frames on consoles. I have been waiting for 10 years. Over 10 years.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
But what do we gamers want..? Shouldn't that matter. I honestly don't care for effects and visuals - Just give me 60 frames on consoles. I have been waiting for 10 years. Over 10 years.
Frankly, there's a lot they can still improve about game assets, scope, and graphics. I'd expect many games, particularly open world or single player campaigns, to push to the point of needing 30fps for a long time. If every 60fps game looked as good as the 30fps blockbusters, then sure, we have hit diminishing returns in consoles and the additional detail is not worth losing 60fps anymore. But we aren't there at all.

Nov 8, 2017
I'm baffled everyday as to why Sony and MS let AMD put a fucking Jaguar cpu in their systems.

Because it was a complete solution from a single vendor on x86 at an excellent price, which is what they wanted.

Then again, they probably didn't realise that it was going to be quite that bad when they first inked the contracts. These things are planned many years in advance.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Frankly, there's a lot they can still improve about game assets, scope, and graphics. I'd expect many games, particularly open world or single player campaigns, to push to the point of needing 30fps for a long time. If every 60fps game looked as good as the 30fps blockbusters, then sure, we have hit diminishing returns in consoles and the additional detail is not worth losing 60fps anymore. But we aren't there at all.

I'll personally take 60fps over improved graphics any day of the week. I won't notice the graphical decrease after a handful of minutes, but i'll notice the framerate the entire time i'm playing. But framerate vs graphics is a debate as old as consoles.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Jaguar was really weak back then, it was a pretty poor low power solution for PS4/XBO

The PS3 and 360 launched with fairly high power consumption and had trouble cooling two components. The APU was a nice single unit that used a low amount in total. Seemed as though both Sony and MS wanted to avoid the mess of the mid 2000s and this is just where AMD were at in performance sadly.

Even Intel's 2009/10 CPUs walked all over AMD's 2011-13 offerings in games. All AMD could offer is more low IPC cores, they struggled for a long time. These were useless for high framerate and not better than the Athlon and Phenom from around 2008/9. Some bulldozer actually had lower perf than older Athlon/phenom in games.

In recent years low power 15w Intel CPUs have eclipsed i7 930 and i5 2500k that are still decent. The Jaguar comes well under i7 930 i5 2500 and these are being smashed by Intel's 15w laptop CPUs in last couple of years. Apple's CPU are up there as well so for the CPU side of things these consoles running Jaguar are well behind. Good news is today AMD are right up there.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I mean how would the consoles even output 120Hz besides VR? They don't have any VRR support or anything, right?

But there isn't any doubt the A12X is a more powerful CPU than what the consoles have by far (at least peak / burst performance).

Apple chips are fucking beasts in the mobile/tablet space, nothing comes close. I can't wait for them to up their chip game and start using them in their macbooks. Fuck intel.

I mean on one hand, it's a macbook, so whatever. But on the other hand that will be terrible. When Apple just decides to drop hardware support for your older software every few years so they can sell you a new higher performance CPU, and when hardware loses OS support within a few years? I pray that day never comes. I'd take Intel every day over Apple in that space.

Isn't that reprojected 120?

In Polybius, no.

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
I love my ipad pro, but I've never played a game on it. I didn't even realize it was capable of this, pretty cool actually!

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I love my ipad pro, but I've never played a game on it. I didn't even realize it was capable of this, pretty cool actually!

The iPad Pro is a low key beastly gaming tablet. It has a way better screen the Switch, 120hz support, way better quad speakers and support for the PS4/Xbox controller. The games (that is has) are a lot cheaper than the eShop versions as well.

Ox Code

Jul 21, 2018
My guess is that more than a "120 FPS mode" this is an "unlocked FPS mode", I doubt it's a constant 120. Would love to be proven wrong tho. Dark1x you know what to do

Apple claimed the 2018 iPad Pro has the graphics performance of an Xbox One S, and Digital Foundry didn't even bother discuss it, let alone test it.
I'd be surprised if they tried this, tbh.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
framerates is only a third of the equation, what about settings and resolution when compared to consoles and other mobile versions.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Amazing how a mobile tech can achieve something that a console technology can't achieve as of yet. It's an odd world we live in.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean an iPad Pro from 2019 that costs 1500 dollars runs a game better than 2013 consoles that can be had for less than 250?

No way.

Oct 29, 2017
Impressive, but the mobile version of Fortnite is not the same as the console version. It has heavily stripped down assets & visual features compared to its console counterpart; unlike the Switch version, which uses exactly the same assets seen on the other console versions (including Xbox One X).

That's something that usually gets forgotten when looking at mobile platforms that run Fortnite.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Impressive, but wasteful. Most humans can't see past 60fps anyway. It's why most devs settle for the super smooth cinematic 30fps. Diminished returns and all that.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have an iPad Pro but I hate Fortnite... however I might need to see this for myself.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have an iPad Pro but I hate Fortnite... however I might need to see this for myself.

There are other 120fps games that I find more fun. Hyper Light Drifter and Grid Autosport are pretty damn good.

Monster Hunter Stories apparently does too, but I've not tried it.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Console can't because it has targets that you can't really edit. And even if you could edit they probably wouldn't let you put the framerate above 60. Maybe the xbox with a freesync monitor would allow it.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, yeah. iPad Pro, 120 FPS, controller.

First time playing, won the match.

This isn't fair.

You're put into matches with lots of bots when you're new now. Getting wins early is not uncommon.

It's the same issue with a lot of mobile games where you think you're amazing for 10 levels, then you start to see real people. They should make it much clearer.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
You're put into matches with lots of bots when you're new now. Getting wins early is not uncommon.

It's the same issue with a lot of mobile games where you think you're amazing for 10 levels, then you start to see real people. They should make it much clearer.
Ah, makes much more sense.

I know I suck, thought it must have been the responsiveness.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
People demanding 60fps at all cost are enough. i have absolutely no appetite for higher fps at all cost beyond 60. Buy a pc or some other modular device if your looking for that imo.

Then if we get that we get the cryjng about graphics or scale of the game. I say let console devs optimize games how they want based on their design goals as they always have.

Vr should be the only thing looking at fps above 60

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
There are always so many headlines like this right before a new gen of consoles, it's almost like a tradition.