• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
They should've had whoever did Neo The World Ends With You's localization edit Forspoken's script. That game's dialogue felt much more normal and modern compared to Forspoken which feels like whoever wrote it tried their damnedest to channel Whedon.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
DRAMA [Trivial: Failure] — So just so we can touch base here... we're
kiiiiinda some sort of superstar cop (yeah, like that's a thing). Turns out
I'm
stuck here in Wacky Future France because I need to solve a murder;
maybe the butler did it? Just my guess. Tiny little problem is, I got no idea
who I am, I'm hung over like Hemingway, and, oh yeah, get this: I'm
talking to my own freaking brain. All of them. All of the brains. And each
brain talks like they're listening to
C-SPAN while reading a thesaurus. So
before I start getting all political in here - just FYI, I think monarchy is the
queen bee's knees - I think I need to find my pants before I talk to my
total dweeb of a partner. ...He's right behind me, isn't he?

KIM KITSURAGI — Detective, why are you talking like that.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm thinking the other way around. Organically this game's marketing is now trending

This. I'm convinced they're thanking their stars for this.

Free publicity over something trivial. More people will see the graphics and the masses don't care about the "cringe" aspect of this kind of voice over. It worked for many movies. no reason it won't work here.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely has big *record scratch* "yeah, that's me" vibes.

I know it's going for a more casual "Marvel" style and it's a normal human girl from New York or something sucked into magic land, but I dunno. I feel the whole isekai thing is played out so having real human beings sucked into magic fantasy lands and being all "woooow, ok I'm the chosen one with magic tools. sooo crazy!" comes off as the character kind of humble bragging. Like "Yeah, that's me, sucked into this magic world and shooting fire balls and flying and fighting massive dragons. Oh, yeah, it's not that cool, just another day for me in my new super awesome cool life!".

And yeah, I don;t doubt AT ALL that there is a lot of idiots hating on this game purely for the black female lead but don't pretend that people also didn't meme on Jack Whiteman-McKillChaos in Final Fantasy: Angry White Man Simulator 2022 (or 21, whenever it was farted out).

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Would've worked much better if she was narrating a single continuous shot as she's doing all that stuff, not as a background voice, but they're probably not going for that Spider-Man quipping style.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Bro Scott Lynch is dunking on the game, you know it's bad when one of the nicest and best fantasy authors does it.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Urghhh...Square-Enix marketing is the worst. Can you imagine if Horizon marketed itself like this? Even Borderlands trailers aren't this cringe.
Its written by western writers.

Also this popped up in my feed just now and was posted today. I thank her for her contributions to Uncharted, but.. has she made anything in the past 8 years that's coming to market other than Forspoken?
The game has like 5 writers with Amy Hennig being brought in last. Doubt her input will matter much if she's just there to polish up some dialogues.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I feel like this narration comes from an era before we were all as tired and jaded as we are now.

We just apply 'cringe' to everything, when I assume this is just trying to be earnest. Sure, it didn't resonate with me, but it feels like it might be targeted at a 16-25 audience? I dunno.
I think that's what makes it so off-putting, is how clearly you can hear the writers trying to hit that demo, and falling short. Buffy was a huge deal, but it's old hat here in 2022.

Hopefully this is just a case of poor marketing exacerbating the issue. Ella Balinska deserves better

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The reaction to this game continues to be embarrassing. Like, I'm not about to hand out the Pulitzer for this stuff, but people are out here acting like this is some affront to God, meanwhile…*gestures at 99% of story based games*

Yeah, not to say that there's nothing to criticize in the footage that they've shown for the game, but some have made it pretty clear that they really dislike the XV team or the writers and that would explain why there's such a wild disconnect between the trailer we just saw and the reaction to it.

Again, there's going to be plenty of legitimate criticism for the game and i'm not trying to hand waive them, but some of the comments surrounding this game (especially the protagonist) are very suspect.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
This dialogue is arriving at a time where people are tired of Whedonspeak, but it's also after people were doing gymnastics at Olympian levels to shield Stranger of Paradise.

Seeing how some constantly latch onto any opportunity to feel justified in bashing this game so hard for the sake of it (and not because of questionable comments like the hip hop walk one) is definitely getting a little weird.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
it's not a good trailer, but i still have hopes for the game

good thing i was already sold on it before this trailer lol

square enix's western marketing really sucks

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm
before I start getting all political in here - just FYI, I think monarchy is the

Holy shit, lmfao.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely has big *record scratch* "yeah, that's me" vibes.

I know it's going for a more casual "Marvel" style and it's a normal human girl from New York or something sucked into magic land, but I dunno. I feel the whole isekai thing is played out so having real human beings sucked into magic fantasy lands and being all "woooow, ok I'm the chosen one with magic tools. sooo crazy!" comes off as the character kind of humble bragging. Like "Yeah, that's me, sucked into this magic world and shooting fire balls and flying and fighting massive dragons. Oh, yeah, it's not that cool, just another day for me in my new super awesome cool life!".
I totally feel the opposite here in that the protag's dialogue is pure "so let me get this straight, I'm gonna do this AWESOME THING???"

It's too enthusiastic for humble bragging, if you ask me.

And yeah, I don;t doubt AT ALL that there is a lot of idiots hating on this game purely for the black female lead but don't pretend that people also didn't meme on Jack Whiteman-McKillChaos in Final Fantasy: Angry White Man Simulator 2022 (or 21, whenever it was farted out).

Jack Finalfantasyorigin Bullshit Garland is a treasure.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
The reaction to this game continues to be embarrassing. Like, I'm not about to hand out the Pulitzer for this stuff, but people are out here acting like this is some affront to God, meanwhile…*gestures at 99% of story based games*
Yeah, this is what I think whenever there is a big commotion to criticize a game's story presentation for some reason. There are so many games with terrible writing that people love, including a lot of the people with anime avatars that are leading the charge

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
User Banned (1 Month): Trolling; Inflammatory Generalization; History of the Same
If you don't like the game you're racist

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
This is effectively all I've seen of this game, or at least all I can properly remember having seen, and it's... not promising, but I would assume also not necessarily representative of the game's writing. Ads are terrible all the time.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, we've barely heard anything of fancy British bracelets right? I'm sure they will say all sorts of cringy stuff or overly explain tecnobabble (magibabble?) before saying something funny like "just shoot the magic crystal!".

Game still looks good though. Magic looks really cool and fun. Worst bit about the game is the pricing on PC though, trying to charge what was it, £70?

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
It's unfortunate that Square Enix breaking the mold and having a black woman as the protagonist for their JRPG for once is coupled with Whedonspeak of all things(not to mention all the sus things they were saying about Frey and her background)

Amedo310

Nov 15, 2017
This doesn't seem out of place from these type of stories. Isn't this a "travel to a different world" one?

Raigor

May 14, 2020
If this girl was ANY thing else but BLACK half of these "criticisms" wouldn't even exist. Have fun laughing thooooo.

Was there any criticism for Johanna in Deathloop? No it wasn't.

Also, this game, despite starring a black woman it's written by white people and they went all the way to put the most embarassing stereotypes available for them.

My newfound fears weren't helped when Rymer and Stashwick described Frey's origin story, which came off as a tired amalgamation of Black stereotypes. Those stereotypes included her "being very angry," her having "fallen through cracks of society," and being "on the verge of prison," before being teleported to Athia. The cherry on top of my newfound dread was motion capture and voice over director Tom Keegan describing Balinska's mannerisms during her motion capture performance as having a "very hip-hoppy kind of walk."

Yes, i'm having fun laughing when the best they can do was stereotyping the shit out of the character.

Neo_ladeen

Jul 26, 2020
I'm

Hahahahaahahahahahahahah.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I want to like this game but it feels like square is making it damn hard to do so. Every showing rings like a squandered concept, rife with trappings of a particular tone of media that I just can't stand.

It doesn't help that the gameplay showings have been...mixed and that it's not really clear that Luminous has fixed the core issues with XV in its moment to moment game feel and the like.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
People are comparing it to the likes of Marvel? What exactly were people expecting...

I don't get the issue with this.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
Who am I? You sure you want to know? The story of my life is not for the faint of heart.

spidermanmaguire.jpg

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
I'm

Amazing. Though clearly this Harry would be an ultraliberal.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
It's unfortunate that Square Enix breaking the mold and having a black woman as the protagonist for their JRPG for once is coupled with Whedonspeak of all things(not to mention all the sus things they were saying about Frey and her background)

A japanese studio making a title aimed at west starring a black woman and written by white people.

If only they had black people in the writing department or someone with a strong understanding of black culture we wouldn't have to deal with this shit.

Simon-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I'm

Perfection.gif

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
Cheesy dialogue in a video game!? No way!?

I don't really see the big deal. Sounds about the same as anything I heard in almost any mainstream game.