• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Hi today I fucked up

I mean like...all I said was fuck epic for stealing dances and it was the exact same design so everything I said was accurate???

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Era: Wow, fuck Epic and fuck the artist for stealing

Razor Mom: *Passionately defending their friend*

Era: Wow, can you settle down? You're being a bit harsh

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From now on we can just listen to me on this stuff, not because I'm smart but because I have common sense and apparently that's a rare commodity in certain kinds of threads.

Also I can't take Sterling seriously until he posts a video apology on his main channel. He had no qualms posting the video that fueled suspicion of an innocent person on his main channel, so that's where the retraction should go as well

In the mean time let's all
Try to self reflect a little.

Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot of what is effectively 'sorry I got caught' in this thread. Self reflection required indeed. I don't think it's going to change anyone's behaviour though.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Thank you for the bountiful feast, Era.

Good on the people who apologised to Razor Mom. While this place is too quick to judge others, it is nice to see some people have good manners which is more than you can say for almost any other public forum.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
who wants to bet the next time a similar accusation happens people will completely forget what happened here and just go back to dragging someone thru the mud.

sometimes its ok not to be you Era.

Got Danny

Nov 8, 2017
this probably wont change anything on this forum, i wish moderators would atleast try to keep forums level headed b4 the facts come in. like atleast try

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
You could point your finger at ERA, but it's no different from any part of the internet. Twitter, other forums, discord, etc, all do the same.

What everyone needs to ask themselves in any situation like this is if they need to throw their stone as well. It's ok to sometimes just watch a story unfold, without having to pass judgement at either side publicly.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
some of y'all just come across as looking for any ammo to fire in Epic's direction.
^^^^^^^

Era, Fortnite is the most inoffensive game ever. You, the person reading this. Offended by the existence of Epic. If you're offput by the success of Fortnite then you've put too much of your identity into video games and need to self reflect.

Oct 26, 2017
I will only say that when I saw this yesterday, I thought it was a little odd. Odd, because when something like that happens (artist steals a design), it's usually more a heavy-inspiration of the original design, and less a 100% carbon copy, like in this case.
Hell, usually when real concept art from a game company is finally translated to a game (3d model), there are usually some differences here and there, the similarity is more at 90%, and that's an official, 'legal' adaptation from 2d to 3d. Here instead it was uncanny how accurate was one version over the other one.
It was strange than the artist 'stealing' the design would carbon-copy in a better way than they usually do when they are supposed to do it (from the concept arts of his work mates).

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this thread.

Props to Razor Mom for sticking to their friend. A lot of people owe Razor Mom an apology...

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
I just had a genius idea, can't we shorten the term "Fortnite Skins" to "Foreskins"?

Evilcrane

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It´s embarrassing how quickly some people on Era bring out their pitchforks and gleefully condemn people and big bad corporations without any actual facts. It really brings down the quality of the whole site when people are just waiting for any reason to jump on the hate train.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
How do we know that the artist is 12 years old?

Who has 4 DeviantArt accounts, including a commision account at 12 y.o.?

Edit: From his Twitter bio. The Twitter account which he used to lie even more.

ywxGlfo.png

Anythings possible but I'm assuming the original artist based their OC on some pre-existing cultural clothing/design and epic used the same reference? We'll learn soon enough. Just seems like a stretch that the artist would have to go deeeeeeeeeep into deviantart for inspiration.

This reminds me of a less wholesome version of the dad who translates his kids doodles into illustrations.

Artist Thomas Romain
thomasintokyo_10_8_2017_17_6_35_58.jpg

thomasintokyo_10_8_2017_17_6_23_663.jpg

thomasintokyo_10_8_2017_17_6_33_199.jpg

thomasintokyo_10_8_2017_17_6_31_659.jpg

thomasintokyo_10_8_2017_17_6_26_599.jpg

That is awesome.

Last edited:

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
This thread was a fantastic read, thank you all. The biggest corporations will usually attempt to cover their asses on matters like this because the owners know they could get royally taken to the cleaners if they did something this stupid. They actually have enough spare cash to pay lawyers, meaning they're collectively less suspicious than anyone smaller. Think of it this way-- a company with as much cash as Epic could hire a entire platoon of lawyers to cover every aspect of their product 24/7/365 for the cost of even one possible small copyright lawsuit against them. So they're going hire lawyers to watch for this stuff.

I don't care for Epic for a variety of reasons, but at least I don't need to add this to the list.
I like the episodes where they bring the guy in for questioning and they let him go on a lead, and then it turns out it was first guy all along

extra twist
They pull this JUST often enough to make sure you can never trust the first guy!

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just catching up with the thread. Wow. It's amazing how much people hate this company here.

Oct 25, 2017
Goes to show you how quickly people will jump on the bandwagon to hate on some companies despite very little proof.

I'd be embarrassed to be on the first few pages.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just catching up with the thread. Wow. It's amazing how much people hate this company here.

I knew from the minute I saw this thread that almost every hot take would be fueled mostly by

MUH STEAM

Never mind it's an innocent artist freelancing for epic having their name dragged and *their* design essentially stolen since the mob believed that it was created by a 12 year old... Muh steam, fuck epic, etc.

I hope some of these posters one day find out what it's like to spend years of your life honing a skill and developing a style only to have their reputation attacked and their art essentially stolen from them by a hate mob (and negativity/outrage mongers like Sterling) because of business deals on game launchers that are completely out of their control

score01

Oct 27, 2017
It´s embarrassing how quickly some people on Era bring out their pitchforks and gleefully condemn people and big bad corporations without any actual facts. It really brings down the quality of the whole site when people are just waiting for any reason to jump on the hate train.

It's not just ERA though, it's the internet at large. People should take a deep breath and pause, wait for more concrete info and not jump to immediate conclusions. I think this thread should be stickied as a reminder to folks.

Raybunzy

Oct 26, 2017
If you are as fast as judging a situation like you did in the first pages as you are with your own life, well... I pity you.

Baircade

Aug 21, 2018
Europe
I hate how people here and on the rest of the internet immediately jump to conclusions and board the hate train, maybe wait for proof first? sheesh. SMH

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017

I've been using Era less and less these past few weeks just because of the overwhelming negativity that can be found here. It's depressing man. It's easy to say "Well just ignore those threads" but when most of the threads are full of some sort of controversy then you have to ask yourself "is it even worth browsing through anymore".

I love this place but it's becoming hard to stick around for as long as I used to. It feels like the place becomes less and less about actual "games" as the weeks go on.

/rantover

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I've been using Era less and less these past few weeks just because of the overwhelming negativity that can be found here. It's depressing man. It's easy to say "Well just ignore those threads" but when most of the threads are full of some sort of controversy then you have to ask yourself "is it even worth browsing through anymore".

I love this place but it's becoming hard to stick around for as long as I used to. It feels like the place becomes less and less about actual "games" as the weeks go on.

/rantover
I don't think it's the last few weeks. It's been like this since day 0. It's entertaining when you're in with the negativity. But I've grown long past that and the rampant "smart" cynicism that seems to dominate most threads here. It seems some people are more interested in generating controversy than anything else.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished getting caught up on the events here. I think we should all try to learn something from this with future topics.

When I was browsing ERA yesterday I saw this thread and my mind immediately jumped to the conclusion that Epic stole the costume design, then I just moved on without challenging that thought. We are so used to bad stories about the world like this happening, that it's just a typical day to do a negative reaction post to the news and move on.

Having Razor Mom tell us the real world impact about a freelance artist who was terrified for their career due to an internet lie + reactionary mob made me feel regret about my own initial reaction. This is a situation none of us want to be in or worry about in our own lives. It shows us exactly that there are potential victims to these kinds of stories all the time, and our own actions play a part in that. I think trying to be more introspective about our thought patterns and challenging them would do each of us a lot of good, if not collectively as a community, then at least on an individual level.

Jan 3, 2019
I just finished getting caught up on the events here. I think we should all try to learn something from this with future topics.

When I was browsing ERA yesterday I saw this thread and my mind immediately jumped to the conclusion that Epic stole the costume design, then I just moved on without challenging that thought. We are so used to bad stories about the world like this happening, that it's just a typical day to do a negative reaction post to the news and move on.

Having Razor Mom tell us the real world impact about a freelance artist who was terrified for their career due to an internet lie + reactionary mob made me feel regret about my own initial reaction. This is a situation none of us want to be in or worry about in our own lives. It shows us exactly that there are potential victims to these kinds of stories all the time, and our own actions play a part in that. I think trying to be more introspective about our thought patterns and challenging them would do each of us a lot of good, if not collectively as a community, then at least on an individual level.
1 million times this.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
No regrets here, I'll always prefer believing a smaller artist over a fucking corporation.

And Epic stealing ideas is pretty fucking well known at this point.
In general, thats fine, but i think the lesson here is to get more facts on the table before making a conclusion, regardless if that or those persons work for a big or small company. Everyone, both big and small, can make things up, even if its ment as a joke or a deliberate lie.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.