• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Man, what a thread. Perfectly willing to admit I jumped the gun here. I have very low tolerance for art thievery and with the evidence shown at the time, it really bothered me.

I really hope this is the end of this situation and nothing escalates from it. If people start harassing this kid it might lead to something way worse.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
bB2T9Ba.png
It wasn't a coincidence though.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
People really need to wait, or, at the very least, pump your breaks and if you actually care and don't want to just rage about something to feel some righteous indignation, follow it closely until you get more info.

You'd think people would be a bit more cautious these days. I know I am, and was at least willing to wait to see what the deal was before forming an opinion.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So, what's worse, getting worked by a 13 year old girl or getting worked by someone who does OC sonic fanart on Deviantart?

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The things that happen when a company hits "bitch eating a cracker" status.

Big props to Razor Mom cuz jeez, that's an ugly page.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basically in this day and age you literally can never take anything at face value it seems. The amount of times I've seen twists like this is getting a little ridiculous now, at least it was a good lesson for patience. Wait a while before jumping on a corpse eh guys? At least until the seasoning arrives.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Welp. Glad I didn't say anything when I first read about this. Went shopping, came back and I see shit hit the fan lol.

Feb 4, 2018
Dang what a wild ride. I feel terrible that the (REAL) original artist had to go through this but glad people got to the bottom of it. I was definitely bamboozled at first, had no idea that DA didn't mark that an image was edited until it was mentioned in this thread. What a stupid, stupid oversight. Anyway, major respect to the Fortnite artist, they're the real deal and it's a genuinely good design!

publishing your art is a super super vulnerable act and things like this make me even more afraid to do it ha... ha... ha...

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is honestly embarrassing to look through.

I almost never post right away in these kinds of topics because I feel like the rush to get out ahead doesn't lead to anything productive in discussion.

Edit: at least a decent amount of people are willing to admit they were wrong.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
lol well played. They sure got me, tho to be fair I didn't call for Epic's head. Just joked that it was an epic coincidence :P

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nobody's anything was ruined here, except for maybe the kid who lied, right?

Stories where someone is unjustly pilloried are few and far between compared to people who are deserving of it.

there are inevitably people out there who heard about the story and won't find out that it was faked. that's the way stuff like this works. just because epic happens to be shitty doesn't mean that this wasn't bad for them. imagine someone spreading fake bullshit about you on social media and then having it redacted later. their is still damage that is done.

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Close, but no cigar. In reality, this was all a false flag operation funded by Epic themselves, to portray anti-Epic fanboys as unreasonable and hasty. As a result of this event, everytime another EGS exclusive is announced, anyone negative about the news will be mocked and asked if they want to sue Epic for plagiarism, or get trolled by another teenage girl on Twitter.

It's a truly cunning scheme. My heart goes out to those brave soldiers on the front pages of this thread.

giphy.gif

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
How would we all like the egg on our faces this evening? I'm going with poached and a crank of paprika myself, anyone have a special request?

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really blame people getting worked by this, but at the same time the fact that there's even a Fortnite skin that looks like it's some overdesigned OC is probably bad enough.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Was there enough time to get some juicy rage filled, mob assembling Youtube videos about this? Baiting people on forums is easy, but If you get the usual suspects to produce their daily video on this, that'd be the real coup.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Close, but no cigar. In reality, this was all a false flag operation funded by Epic themselves, to portray anti-Epic fanboys as unreasonable and hasty. As a result of this event, everytime another EGS exclusive is announced, anyone negative about the news will be mocked and asked if they want to sue Epic for plagiarism, or get trolled by another teenage girl on Twitter.

It's a truly cunning scheme. My heart goes out to those brave soldiers on the front pages of this thread.
First, they bought out the some of the best video game developers

Then, they bought out some of the best 13 year old Sonic Deviantartists

The mad lads just won't stop

Feb 4, 2018
there are inevitably people out there who heard about the story and won't find out that it was faked. that's the way stuff like this works. just because epic happens to be shitty doesn't mean that this wasn't bad for them. imagine someone spreading fake bullshit about you on social media and then having it redacted later. their is still damage that is done.
Definitely. Still though, glad Epic's artist wasn't named throughout all of this afaik. Epic makes enough headlines that this will get buried soon enough, but something like this would have ruined the artist's search results and overall rep had they been named.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This thread should be stickied as an example of why the gun shouldn't be jumped before all information possible is at hand.
Honestly, I don't think assuming that this was stolen art from the outset was that bad. It very much seemed that way, and there was nothing to really indicate otherwise until Razor Mom entered. The real question to be asked was why would a professional steal from some random (and of poor quality) DeviantArt account.

Where this really becomes stupid is when the possibility that this was faked surfaces, and the people who were still adamant that things were looking sketchy for Epic or going off of some other kind of conspiratorial tangent. It should have been immediately obvious what was going on when the evidence of the edit date was brought to light.

There's also the part where I feel out of the loop and I don't get why people hate Epic so much, so I'm not here blinded by rage.

Jan 3, 2019
Suuurrrrreeeeee buddy.

(You weren't one of the people demanding a promise of an apology should the plagiarism turn out to be true and then refuse to give one of their own when THEY were proven wrong. I assume you weren't anyway)
I dunno man, I could've done those things and gotten super angry if I didn't like Epic or cared more about Fortnite. Gotta count your blessings.

At least I didn't make an entire video about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.