• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
What a pos company. I don't think I'm ever buying a game from them again. Good thing their games are shit.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I wouldnt enjoy playing a torture or rape scene, but I dont think it is impossible to have them in a game. There was that COD where you had the option to play and kill dozens of innocents, but you had the option to skip the scene and not lose anything. We have those scenes in movies/series/books(/music?), but obviously being part (playing) of the scene makes it way more difficult to 'make it right' and 'acceptable' so idk if we will ever see them in a game.

Considering the backlash from people that saw the torture scene, they didn't do it well. Or maybe it was done too well... I really can't think of a way that those things could be in a game.

And the way they talk about it, it seems that those were things forced by the execs and not something the devs themselves wanted to have in the game, so it was probably just an 'easy' way to get attention and a good indication that those scenes were not necessary at all. Thank god they were cut.

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
We have had plenty torture scenes in games. Just thinking back something as iconic as MGS, which was playable. GTAV had one to, if I remember.

The rape 'game' is worrying. But maybe it was a cutscene or something? Rape isn't really touched upon in gaming and is a really delicate subject for obvious reasons.People are always gonna prototype and push barriers, it doesn't always mean that you should though.

Always hard when these things are taken on of context/you can't see the full picture. Would be interested to find out exactly how these were gonna be used and in what games, they seem to fit in the Far Cry vein.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
The rape 'game' is worrying. But maybe it was a cutscene or something? Rape isn't really touched upon in gaming and is a really delicate subject for obvious reasons.People are always gonna prototype and push barriers, it doesn't always mean that you should though.

Always hard when these things are taken on of context/you can't see the full picture. Would be interested to find out exactly how these were gonna be used and in what games, they seem to fit in the Far Cry vein.

The tweets say that it's in fact not only a cutscene but that it was supposed to be "playable". That you were supposed to "feel" the rape via controller vibrations, which...come on.

If you seriously think that a rape scene woudl fit into Far Cry - a game series where you fly around with a paraglider, siccing elephants onto NPC cutouts while burning down Marihuana plantations to sick Skrilles beats - then you do not appreciate the sensibility and care the implimitation of that idea would really take. There is absolutely no possible way an open world fun time like Far Cry with the few narrative beats it allows itself to have could ever have the necessary gravitas to pull such a scene off without being grossly out of its depth. Hell, that goes for Ubisoft at large. I can't think of a single current franchise they are working on where such a scene would be tolerable, fitting or anything but a disguisting gimmick, ESPECIALLY considering the stories coming out right now. Imagine working on a rape scene as a woman in the culture described by all these reports.

Man

I once listened to the cut rape scene from Beyond

I don't think I'll ever be able to unhear it

I never knew about this and after looking into it I legit feel like throwing up now. What a fucking hack David Cage is.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Disgusting but not surprising considering the real-life sexual assault and harassment at Ubisoft and the culture of promoting and protecting predators.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
As a victim of sexual assault, the "well also torture and violence" discussion angle makes me feel distinctly uncomfortable in ways that I'm struggling to put into words.

That said, this is vile but I guess perhaps not surprising with what has come out about the entire culture at that company. I feel sorry for the women and POC who worked there and I guess it's pretty damn impressive they were able to create some of the things they did despite everything (like Kassandra).

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
The tweets say that it's in fact not only a cutscene but that it was supposed to be "playable". That you were supposed to "feel" the rape via controller vibrations, which...come on.

If you seriously think that a rape scene woudl fit into Far Cry - a game series where you fly around with a paraglider, siccing elephants onto NPC cutouts while burning down Marihuana plantations to sick Skrilles beats - then you do not appreciate the sensibility and care the implimitation of that idea would really take. There is absolutely no possible way an open world fun time like Far Cry with the few narrative beats it allows itself to have could ever have the necessary gravitas to pull such a scene off without being grossly out of its depth. Hell, that goes for Ubisoft at large. I can't think of a single current franchise they are working on where such a scene would be tolerable, fitting or anything but a disguisting gimmick, ESPECIALLY considering the stories coming out right now. Imagine working on a rape scene as a woman in the culture described by all these reports.

I never knew about this and after looking into it I legit feel like throwing up now. What a fucking hack David Cage is.

I said it would be interesting to know context and to have a better understanding. This doesn't mean I support it. Again, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

You are right though, what franchise could this slot into and work for ubi? None really. Their games are generally don't tackle serious issues properly or skirt around them (aka Far Cry 5).

I completely agree though, how it sounds on paper, the franchises that ubi have and their track record with the recent news all point in extremely bad directions.

Oct 28, 2017
This seems pretty on brand with Ubisoft to be honest, even ignoring the recent sexual harassment allegations.

I played Watch Dogs and I distinctly remember being upset at lot of the game's content. Not because I have a problem with the idea of controversial content but because a lot of the dark and perverse content in the game was presented in such an immature manner.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
If you seriously think that a rape scene woudl fit into Far Cry - a game series where you fly around with a paraglider, siccing elephants onto NPC cutouts while burning down Marihuana plantations to sick Skrilles beats - then you do not appreciate the sensibility and care the implimitation of that idea would really take.

Not to forget Far Cry 5 where you kill bulls with a harvester to collect their testicles and beat pigs with a baseball bat to test a strength enhancing drug.. just for shits and giggles.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
I could see it being Far Cry 3. At the end of the game, Jason (your character) has the option to 'Save your friends' or 'Join Citra'. If you choose to join Citra, you get a first person sex scene, which ends with Citra killing you afterwards as some sort of ritual sacrifice. While Jason is dying, Citra mentions that his child will live on to lead the Rakyat.

I could definitely see a scenario where this was originally envisioned as a rape scene. Seems like the 'compromise' was to give the player a choice to partake in the ritual versus being forced by Citra to do so.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you seriously think that a rape scene woudl fit into Far Cry - a game series where you fly around with a paraglider, siccing elephants onto NPC cutouts while burning down Marihuana plantations to sick Skrilles beats - then you do not appreciate the sensibility and care the implimitation of that idea would really take. There is absolutely no possible way an open world fun time like Far Cry with the few narrative beats it allows itself to have could ever have the necessary gravitas to pull such a scene off without being grossly out of its depth.
I've only played the third one and based on that, doing shallow edgy nonsense without care sounds exactly like the kind of thing Far Cry would do.