• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
The torture scene is almost certainly from Splinter Cell Blacklist, and was shown off to press back in 2012 before it was cut.

Eurogamer said:
The controversial torture scene depicted in the E3 reveal of Ubisoft Toronto's Splinter Cell Blacklist has been cut from the game, following negative reaction to the more brutal direction the series had taken.

Shown at the front-end of Microsoft's conference at last year's show in June, Splinter Cell Blacklist was fronted by a savage take on Sam Fisher who within the opening minutes plunges a knife into an enemy's throat, twisting it around in a player-controlled scene in order to extract intelligence.

The player is then presented with a "moral choice" as to whether to knock out or kill the terrorist they had no choice in torturing.

Tom Bissell's description of his reaction to that E3 demo, in his Grantland review of Spec Ops: The Line, is a piece of games writing that has always stuck with me.

Tom Bissell said:
We've arrived in a strange emotional clime when our popular entertainment frequently depicts torture as briskly effective rather than literally the worst thing one human being can do to another — yea verily, worse even than killing. Inflicting pain and suffering on a captive human being because one person feels like it and the other can't stop it … is this not what we're told awaits sinners in hell? Is this not the domain of Satan?

I left the Blacklist demo sick and infuriated, which was a shame, because the person introducing the demo was a game designer I admire and have long wanted to meet. I really wanted to ask this man how he felt, demo-ing that. Ask the programmers and artists, too, how they felt, bringing that moment into this world. I wanted to ask them all what the deal is with this industry we're a part of. I didn't. Couldn't. I know people who've been tortured. Someone I know was tortured because of something I wrote about him — a cold little bibelot I'll take with me to my grave. I described my Blacklist experience to some gamer friends, a couple of whom thought I was overreacting. Overreacting to a blithe, shrugging presentation of the very definition of human evil, all in the name of "entertainment." I spent a couple days feeling ashamed of being a gamer, of playing or liking military games, of being interested in any of this disgusting bullshit at all.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Is she? I haven't been paying that much attention, but I vaguely remember reading somewhere that unlike Odyssey here the point was that Eivor could be either, as in "history is fuzzy enough about that it makes sense".

This whole Ubisoft business is disgusting though. Already commented as much in another thread, but this is really all kinds of messed up.

She is the main canon character of Valhalla yes. Eivor is a gendered female name.

Subxero

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I kinda wondered why it didn't switch to Aya in Origins. She seemed to always be doing cool shit. Although I really liked Bayek a lot. He was one of the most expressive characters they had done up til then. I actually sympathized and cared about what happened him.

Kassandra was clearly the better character in Odyssey. She was also very expressive and I really liked her eye rolling sarcastic attitude. Her brother seemed like a after thought. I tried to play as him when I double dipped in PC and didn't get off the first island before I went back to Kassandra.

Ubi needs to clean out all the toxic garbage people from the company. I don't care how creative they are. There are plenty of other people that aren't trash that deserve a chance to have their creative voices heard in the industry.

I hope they actually follow through cause I do enjoy their games.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
A former Ubi game dev who worked on AC 2 to 10:

Also this bit about Aya who should have been the lead in Origins:

So yeah, we've been robbed of Aya (although I really love Bayek, my fave male character in the franchise), we've been robbed of Evie too (things were supposed to be evenly split between the twins, the final result heavily gives Jacob the storyline while he's hands down one of the most insufferable male character of the franchise). We almost got robbed of Kassandra (they had to create a male counterpart to justify her existence), and 2 months ago we had to dig deep into the physical collector edition website page to even find a picture of female Eivor back when the 1st trailer got released. Same shit repeats itself.

Last edited:

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
What...?!
The fuck!
How has Ubisoft gone unnoticed for this long with all these crazy things going on wtf

Oct 25, 2017
1. People on the first page doing some whataboutism shit need to shut the fuck up
2. This is so incredibly disgusting I don't even know what to say.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
What...?!
The fuck!
How has Ubisoft gone unnoticed for this long with all these crazy things going on wtf
These companies have strict NDA about not talking about anything going on within it or you may get sued into oblivion. They will force things to get resolved internally as much as possible.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
What is wrong with people?!
This is the worst thing I've ever heard of in the history of gaming! I hate gaming so much right now, this shouldn't ever be able to happen! And it went all the way to mocap?!?!

Wake up! This is NOT entertainment!

Feels like the whole hobby has become a cancer tumour of violence and hate, it just gets worse and worse, the bar is constantly pushed forward, always digging deep into the darkest parts of humanity, when killing wasn't enough they went for decapitations, then Xray deaths, then torture! And now rape!?
Just close it all down. I don't care.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
What...?!
The fuck!
Because if you expose this while still working at the company you'll be fired the next day, and if you expose it after you've left you run the risk of companies not hiring you in the future because they're afraid you'll also expose fucked up shit going on at their company.

OP
OP

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
So let me guess, Ubisoft bad now?
Nah , they were bad before with the numerous rape and sexual harassment accusations that they hushed up and kept the perpetrators in the company, and even promoted them, while they continued those behaviours. This is just what that kind of culture produces

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus that's rough...

My mind is immediately going to Far Cry 5 as being the most likely to have something like this.

The rape stuff is fucked up, but the Last of Us 2 just had plenty of gruesome torture that nobody really seemed to care about.

Yeah, no one said a word about the violence in Last of Us 2...

Seriously now, come on.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Nah , they were bad before with the numerous rape and sexual harassment accusations that they hushed up and kept the perpetrators in the company, and even promoted them, while they continued those behaviours. This is just what that kind of culture produces
For me I think they are, clearly the culture in that company seems to be very toxic. Something I can't support.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Because if you expose this while still working at the company you'll be fired the next day, and if you expose it after you've left you run the risk of companies not hiring you in the future because they're afraid you'll also expose fucked up shit going on at their company.
One would hope things like these aren't so widespread among companies :/ but yeah the fear would be too much.

Inyourprime

Oct 25, 2017
Please keep this shit coming devs. I'm not asking current employees to share their stories, I understand its a small industry, but please if you're a former Ubisoft dev, help us bury the Guillemot family in so much of the shit they've created that they can't ignore and be forced to sell the company.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I don't think "Ubisoft bad" is the proper take to get from this either.
There are plenty of game devs in the company who try their hardest to make amazing progressive games, and fight tooth and nails for them to exist. There are many trying to do god's work (and the fact Kassandra & Eivor exist and were created as canon characters proves as much).
The pressure and the onus should be on the executive part of the company, as well as the editorial/marketing team who often block & hinder that process.

Last edited:
OP
OP

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I have no words...
I'm just happy they aren't with the company anymore.
Where's it say the people who came up with these ideas and implemented them aren't with the company anymore? The former dev referred to in the title is the person sharing these examples who previously worked at Ubisoft but no longer does which is why perhaps she feels comfortable sharing them

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
they even mocap-ped it?! ugh the poor actress
The scene that's being referred to when they talk about mocap is most likely the torture scene in Splinter Cell Blacklist, one that was cut from the game after backlash. On top of being a sequel to a game where one of the selling points was the fact that the player would be directly involved in multiple torture scenes.

I'm also guessing that the other scene involved Buck from FC3, a game that went out of it's way to have edgy controversial scenes that mostly came off as tone deaf, considering what happens before, during, and after you fight him.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The rape stuff is fucked up, but the Last of Us 2 just had plenty of gruesome torture that nobody really seemed to care about.
I cared enough to not play the game. I did my part. I closed my wallet after the unveil trailer. I've been gaming so long that I've seen what gaming evolution does to violence, I'm not going to help it a baby step in that direction if I can avoid it.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think "Ubisoft bad" is the proper take to get from this either.
There are plenty of game devs in the company who try their hardest to make amazing progressive games, and fight tooth and nails for them to exist. There are many trying to do god's work (and the fact Kassandra & Eivor exist and were created as canon characters proves as much).
The pressure and the onus should be on the executive part of the company, as well as the editorial/marketing team who often block & hinder that process.

Agreed. There are people who need to be removed from their positions over this, but it isn't as simple as "Ubisoft bad" because quite frankly there's bound to be stuff like this at every company, even if it's not quite as bad.

deathbunny

Banned
Jun 2, 2020
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing concerns around misogyny; account in junior phase
Is there anything more to go on with this than just a tweet? I've never played an Ubisoft game that came close to any of the shit talked about... can't help but feel like a lot of it is overblown talk. Sexual assault scenes are still in a lot of modern movies, which I don't support or ever want to watch, but it is a thing. In the same way that Last of Us handled torture, I feel like if you are going to put something extreme like that in a game or movie it should always be done off-screen and even then is never really necessary.

Saying "Ubisoft wanted a rape scene in their game" is the same as blaming the entire U.S. on something a single politician said. The problem people should be the focus, not the company. Where do you guys think they are going to go after being silently fired/let-go? Anywhere they want as long as their name isn't in the headline instead of Ubisoft.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Agreed. There are people who need to be removed from their positions over this, but it isn't as simple as "Ubisoft bad" because quite frankly there's bound to be stuff like this at every company, even if it's not quite as bad.

I'm fairly confident in saying that indeed, there must be stuff like this in every company (with varying degrees), as long as the top head of the company is full of white cis het men, and that no women nor minorities are allowed any position of power on the highest levels of the company, this crap is bound to happen again and again.

I talked about that a few weeks ago in the French Era thread when all of this Ubi mess was exploding in the French press, that company boasts about having a higher percentage of women than most video game companies, which, at face value, is good. But how many of these women are in true position of power? How many of them are game developpers and creators? And how many of them are just put in entry-level jobs in which they get harassed for months until they have enough of this toxic culture and quit (and sometimes quit the video game industry altogether)? And how many of them get the promotions they deserve over their male peers that most of their male superiors are heavily biased to favor over them? How many of them are allowed to grind the ladders until they all eventually hit the glass ceiling, usually the same one for all of them called "locker room culture"?

But this is deeper than just Ubisoft, at this point, this is global.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I talked about that a few weeks ago in the French Era thread when all of this Ubi mess was exploding in the French press, that company boasts about having a higher percentage of women than most video game companies, which, at face value, is good. But how many of these women are in true position of power? How many of them are game developpers and creators? And how many of them are just put in entry-level jobs in which they get harassed for months until they have enough of this toxic culture and quit (and sometimes quit the video game industry altogether)? And how many of them get the promotions they deserve over their male peers that most of their male superiors are heavily biased to favor over them? How many of them are allowed to grind the ladders until they all eventually hit the glass ceiling, usually the same one for all of them called "locker room culture"?
Did Jade Raymond ever explain why she left the company?
Maybe she left because of shit like this?

Oct 25, 2017
Evie, Aya, Kassandra and now female Eivor, the same story repeats itself over and over and over again. With Hascoët gone, I now sincerely HOPE that it's the very last time we see an Assassin's Creed canon female character being shafted by the marketing team because "WOMEN DON'T SELL!!!". Because yes, this is what is happening to female Eivor as we speak. She was nowhere to be seen, and she's the canon character of Valhalla.

The fact that some devs had to fight in order to stop this rapey mocap shit is mind-blowing to me. This should have been common sense. Holy hell.

I agree with what you said, but the bolded isn't true.

Female Eivor was all over the Ubi Forward stuff in the gameplay trailer and the 30 minute walkthrough Ubi put out.

And as for Female Eivor being "the canon one" which would make some sense since Layla is the modern day protagonist in the RPG AC games, the writer is saying both Male and Female Eivor are canon and exist at the same time. I personally don't understand how that works, but it does seem like a shoehorned way to not allow for just one character.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
As an example that this doesn't just happen at Ubi, friendly reminder that the earlier concept of The Last Of Us had all the infected be women (only women were impacted by the fungus), until several female developpers repeatedly had to make the point that a game in which all enemies are women is maybe not the brightest idea, and was actually pretty misogynistic in essence. Thankfully Druckmann listened to their feedback, and eventually scrapped that idea.

I'm glad he did. But I imagine there are many people who might not have listened to that feedback at all, or might not even have women in the team in position to even tell them this was a bad idea in the first place. That the idea was even entertained for a while is honestly bad to begin with. That idea should have been scrapped as soon as it first got voiced in the pre-production reunion room. But I wonder how many women were in that room when that happened.

I agree with what you said, but the bolded isn't true.

Female Eivor was all over the Ubi Forward stuff in the gameplay trailer and the 30 minute walkthrough Ubi put out.

You are right, and that is why I used the word "was", since I'm mentioning the trailer that got released back in May, and the subsequent total silence about female Eivor that ensued for 2 months until that Ubi Forward, that happened in the midst of accusations of sexism and sexual misconducts at Ubisoft. I was pleased to finally see her at that Ubi Forward though, but I won't forget the months of silence about female Eivor's existence still, not gonna lie.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
And as for Female Eivor being "the canon one" which would make some sense since Layla is the modern day protagonist in the RPG AC games, the writer is saying both Male and Female Eivor are canon and exist at the same time. I personally don't understand how that works, but it does seem like a shoehorned way to not allow for just one character.
I live in the viking region, Eivor is a woman's name, there is currently 0 men called Eivor in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland. For that reason alone I seriously doubt that male Eivor is canon. You can swap between the characters at any time too so it was probably an easy thing to add a male version if a higher up really wanted it, they just needed to record the audio.

Freddie13

Nov 2, 2017
It's sickening and disgusting. But playable, over-the-top, graphical act of killing isn't really any better. Sexual or not, violence is violence.

Oct 25, 2017
As an example that this doesn't just happen at Ubi, friendly reminder that the earlier concept of The Last Of Us had all the infected be women (only women were impacted by the fungus), until several female developpers repeatedly had to make the point that a game in which all enemies are women is maybe not the brightest idea, and was actually pretty misogynistic in essence. Thankfully Druckmann listened to their feedback, and eventually scrapped that idea.

I'm glad he did. But I imagine there are many people who might not have listened to that feedback at all in the first place. That the idea was even entertained for a while is honestly bad in the first place. That idea should have been scrapped as soon as it first got voiced in the pre-production reunion room.

You are right, and that is why I used the word "was", since I'm mentioning the trailer that got released back in May, and the subsequent total silence about female Eivor that ensued for 2 months until that Ubi Forward, that happened in the midst of accusations of sexism and sexual misconducts towards Ubisoft. I was pleased to finally see her at that Ubi Forward though, but I won't forget the months of silence about female Eivor's existence still, not gonna lie.

Ah, you were speaking about the initial reveal. Yeah, it was kinda weird that her only appearance was via figure, and that pissed people off because "why is the female character in the collectors edition? I am going to play the male!"

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Although I understand the tendency to link this revelation to what we know of Ubisoft corporate culture, it actually just seems misguided and dumb to me.

The first things I thought of reading about this are movies like irreversible.. and not just irreversible, there are countless films with depictions of rape. I prefer to think such scenes are usually not there for salacious reasons (although there are doubtless some) but rather to alarm, shock and confront.. I've seen films that have such scenes and they are actually quite powerful and troubling, and that's the intent, there are reasons.. beyond thematic reasons, where the narrative and horror has meaning and is intended to stay with the viewer / consumer of the content, designed to provoke sadness or shame, anger, desire to see justice / revenge, or to provoke thought or a moment in public discourse - perhaps those depictions of sexual violence might have a place, that's up for debate, I know some victims would find even those depictions problematic... In any case: I can't imagine that place being any Ubisoft game, be it Splinter Cell, Farcry, Assassin's Creed! What the hell were they smoking? Did they forget games are supposed to be interactive leisure?

I can well imagine some gritty edgelord game director wanting to be 'brave' enough to do the game equivalent, but yknow - even MORE shocking - because you can feel it in the controller - wow. Stupid, but I guarantee you I bet they thought they were being artful rather than distasteful.. how it got as far as mocap?.. well that just tells you lots of loyal yes men (and maybe even women) were involved, that people were too afraid to object to it, or that people were ignored. Perhaps the people in charge just did not want to hear it was a bad idea. Having said that, we should probably count it as a small mercy it never actually made it to a production build!

I imagine whoever pitched that idea is watching this unfold now with some shame!

Last edited:
OP
OP

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017

I'm glad he did. But I imagine there are many people who might not have listened to that feedback at all in the first place. That the idea was even entertained for a while is honestly bad in the first place. That idea should have been scrapped as soon as it first got voiced in the pre-production reunion room.

You are right, and that is why I used the word "was", since I'm mentioning the trailer that got released back in May, and the subsequent total silence about female Eivor that ensued for 2 months until that Ubi Forward, that happened in the midst of accusations of sexism and sexual misconducts at Ubisoft. I was pleased to finally see her at that Ubi Forward though, but I won't forget the months of silence about female Eivor's existence still, not gonna lie.
Another example would be the cancelled EA game were you play as Jack the Ripper except dun, dun, dun, he's actually the misunderstood hero. They green lit a game were they tried to rehabilitate the image of a real life serial killer who brutalised women. Honestly there's multiple examples that I can think of horrible , offensive stuff like this that uses minority's trauma as fodder for edgy entertainment. This problem is rife in the industry.

Oct 25, 2017
I live in the viking region, Eivor is a woman's name, there is currently 0 men called Eivor in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland. For that reason alone I seriously doubt that male Eivor is canon. You can swap between the characters at any time too so it was probably an easy thing to add a male version if a higher up really wanted it, they just needed to record the audio.

Yeah, the whole "they both exist at the same time" thing sounds like its going to be a made up "first civ bullshit" thing in the story.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fairly confident in saying that indeed, there must be stuff like this in every company (with varying degrees), as long as the top head of the company is full of white cis het men, and that no women nor minorities are allowed any position of power on the highest levels of the company, this crap is bound to happen again and again.

But this is deeper than just Ubisoft, at this point, this is global.

This is a really important paragraph. Listening to all the women talk about how they had to fight to get the representation we got tells you the story.

Interestingly, I wonder how hard it'd be to fix the corporate culture at this point even if they legitimately started to make the right moves. Like if they fired every harrasser, would women even want to work there now?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
A former Ubi game dev who worked on AC 2 to 10:

Also this bit about Aya who should have been the lead in Origins:

So yeah, we've been robbed of Aya (although I really love Bayek, my fave male character in the franchise), we've been robbed of Evie too (things were supposed to be evenly split between the twins, the final result heavily gives Jacob the storyline while he's hands down one of the most insufferable male character of the franchise). We almost got robbed of Kassandra (they had to create a male counterpart to justify her existence), and 2 months ago we had to dig deep into the physical collection edition website page to even find a picture of female Eivor back when the 1st trailer got released. Same shit repeats itself.

I fucking called it when I saw male Eivor in the world premier trailer that female protag have been playing second fiddle (and get the second billing) and will continue to do so in a franchise that would sell millions regardless. I never played both the last two AC titles but I most definitely noticed that Alexios got the bulk of marketing/promo including the boxart and press-kit. Some people here were defending the even split within the game but when the promotion of the title's protagonists are skewed in favour of status quo, that should tell us something. I am seeing the same thing happen with C2077 and the excuse is always the fucking same-

"It is to ensure that the broadest audience base is reached".

So in other words the publishers/promoters are telling us that the majority cannot handle or relate to minorities and on and on goes the self fulfilling prophecy. Because losing potential sales in pursuit of doing the right thing now and reaping long term benefits is not reward enough.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Where's it say the people who came up with these ideas and implemented them aren't with the company anymore? The former dev referred to in the title is the person sharing these examples who previously worked at Ubisoft but no longer does which is why perhaps she feels comfortable sharing them
Was referring to some of the harrassers, because I imagine Ubisoft is nowhere near done with the cleansing...