• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory accusations across multiple posts, multiple prior bans for trolling
If you buy an Ubisoft game, you are directly supporting rapists...

You are sending a message that you like rape and that rape is ok.

Your support of Ubisoft needs to end. Now.

Subxero

Oct 25, 2017
United States
That's just disgustingly gross.

I really hated that Red Dead 2 had (the player character) Arthur getting raped in one of the exploration missions in the swamp. It added zero to the narrative and shouldn't be there at all.

I think that's about when I stopped playing the game. I remember it just made me angry and disgusted with the game.

I don't recall much talk about that at all looking back.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
.................Shit like this just makes me hate gaming. I hate that being a women who like this medium, I have to really deal with creepy MFers who think its compelling or cute to play with women's bodies or do sick shit like try to make real pain and trama that millions of women across the world feel as some sort of interactive experience for men to get off to.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
.................Shit like this just makes me hate gaming. I hate that being a women who like this medium, I have to really deal with creepy MFers who think its compelling or cute to play with women's bodies or do sick shit like try to make real pain and trama that millions of women across the world feel as some sort of interactive experience for men to get off to.

100% this.

pretzel

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 9, 2019
Germany
And here I thought the Chico tapes in Metal Gear Ground Zeros were the most fucked up thing in gaming.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone involved in creating that idea should be fired and investigated

Oct 25, 2017
The rape stuff is fucked up, but the Last of Us 2 just had plenty of gruesome torture that nobody really seemed to care about.

Murder is fucking Murder. We don't have to argue about that. Everybody cares about the gruesome nature of how people are killed

But in 2020 we still can't agree on what rape is. Shit like this clearly isn't considered rape because it was being presented as a game play mechanic! Its only called out as rape because the women designers and other sensible people KNEW that shit was dead ass wrong. I think its clear what we absolutely need to care about.

Oct 27, 2017
Depicting a rape scene is something I wouldn't expect Ubisoft to handle correctly, but that somehow a controller vibration is meant to make the player 'participant' of the crime is, at the very least, a fucking disgusting concept, and downright sociopathic. Something that an edgy 14yo bou would come up with.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What the hell is wrong with this company? I'm glad that a few devs were able to do what they could, but this does not speak well of the company's culture.

Or, in plain terms, WTF Ubisoft?!

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I would bet real money it was Evie too, they would definetly make it a female character, and from looking at the that dev's linkedin, she worked on Syndicate so I'd say more likely than not.

I wouldn't take that bet. Syndicate is so jaunty that I literally cannot imagine such a scene being intended for it.

It may be that the dev didn't work on the game in question but was aware of it from co-workers.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
That's just disgustingly gross.

I really hated that Red Dead 2 had (the player character) Arthur getting raped in one of the exploration missions in the swamp. I didn't the no that needed to be there at all. I think that's about when I stopped playing the game. I remember it just made me angry and disgusted with the game.

I don't recall much talk about that at all looking back.
Definitely saw a thread about it here since thats where I learned it could actually happen. Since it was sidething probably not everyone ran into it or misunderstood what happened. I did see videos on YouTube addressing it even then they weren't titled with it to avoid that word being on their YouTube video title.

OP
OP

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I wouldn't take that bet. Syndicate is so jaunty that I literally cannot imagine such a scene being intended for it.

It may be that the dev didn't work on the game in question but was aware of it from co-workers.
They were going to have you feel it through vibrations through your controller, it's not exactly a classy depection of rape, and I bet you that it would have to be a female character they'd do it too, and RecLib's right that I think AC Syndicate is the only console Ubisoft game were I think you have to play as a female protag. Not that I think there's any game where this idea would be tone appropriate

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Yeah, when i´ve read this it was like

tenor.gif

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They were going to have you feel it through vibrations through your controller, it's not exactly a classy depection of rape, and I bet you that it would have to be a female character they'd do it too, and RecLib's right that I think AC Syndicate is the only console Ubisoft game were I think you have to play as a female protag. Not that I think there's any game where this idea would be tone appropriate
You can play as a man or a woman in other Ubisoft games. Being a woman is not a requirement to be a victim of rape.

Subxero

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Definitely saw a thread about it here since thats where I learned it could actually happen. Since it was sidething probably not everyone ran into it or misunderstood what happened. I did see videos on YouTube addressing it even then they weren't titled with it to avoid that word being on their YouTube video title.

I must have missed that thread at the time. Probably for the best with how pisses I was it was at the time. I saw there are load of YouTube vids on it now when I was looking for a news article before I posted. I didn't want to link any of them though.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
The fact that they even thought of putting those scenes is fucked up

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think it's guaranteed at all that they would only do it to a female character.

Plus, it's not clear from the tweets linked that it was a game that the dev worked on directly. It could be from the Far Cry franchise. It's been a long time since I played FC3 but did the player character actually consent to sex ritual thing in FC3?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I can only imagine that it's incredibly difficult to work around the men who pitched those ideas, and fought hard enough to get them in the games that they made it to motion capture.

The bitterness and toxicity of the environment has to be terrible.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The second that shit got pitched it should've been shut down immediately with some serious discussions happening afterwards.

The fact that it got greenlit and pushed along as far as it was is just disgusting.

Emiya777

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Murder is fucking Murder. We don't have to argue about that. Everybody cares about the gruesome nature of how people are killed

But in 2020 we still can't agree on what rape is. Shit like this clearly isn't considered rape because it was being presented as a game play mechanic! Its only called out as rape because the women designers and other sensible people KNEW that shit was dead ass wrong. I think its clear what we absolutely need to care about.

I'm going to use this reply to reply all comments have gotten because maybe I wasn't overly clear earlier. All forms of non consensual sex are rape, all sexual contact where one or both parties are intoxicated is rape. A situation where one person of a much higher position of power coerces another person into a sex is rape. All of those situations are vile and the perpetrators should be shamed and prosecuted. Ubisoft's gamification of rape is horrid and vile. All of the backlash towards it is deserved. However the title of the thread said rape and torture as if in separate scenes, and I was referring to the scenes of torture in my comments. I just felt that many modern games have incredibly gory and violent scenes, and I felt people attacking them for unspecified scenes of "torture" was unfair. All of the comments levied about their use of rape are justified. I'm sorry if I came off as trying to defend Ubi or using "Whataboutism".

OP
OP

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
You can play as a man or a woman in other Ubisoft games. Being a woman is not a requirement to be a victim of rape.
It's not but as a woman who plays games and actually if you look at women's depection in other media, I bet they put this idea for a female protag. Enduring sexual assault as a trauma is a trope that's very common to be used to have as a "strong female character", specially by male creators. Like I love Dragon Age Origins but in City Elf Origin they have a scenario where you get kidnapped at your wedding and your captors want to rape you and you have to escape. That's only if you pick a female protag. If you pick a male protag for that same Origin, it's your Bride that gets captured and you have to save her. I just strongly suspect from how this is generally treated in media, and the fact it's not exactly good representation of rape, and how Ubisoft treats women in their company, it's probably a female protag.
I don't think it's guaranteed at all that they would only do it to a female character.

Plus, it's not clear from the tweets linked that it was a game that the dev worked on directly. It could be from the Far Cry franchise. It's been a long time since I played FC3 but did the player character actually consent to sex ritual thing in FC3?
See above. I suspect it was a female protag generally because this is a trope that is used a lot for female characters

I fully admit I could be wrong though. It's still horrifying either way.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
as a survivor of assault I would have never been able to forgive Ubisoft for reigniting trauma in thousands of players in such a way. imagine having to sit through that, imagine thinking it's a good idea for something to include in a videogame.

and yes it's highly unlikely they considered doing this to a male character.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
It's not impossible to have rape be part of a story and it not be terrible, it is however extremely hard and requires the devs to be extremely careful. It also 100 % shouldn't just be a bunch of men writing it since that will not end well for obvious reasons.

I have about 0,00000000001% fate Ubisoft would have been able to pull it off. And that is still highballing it probably.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
What the absolute fucking fuck? Everybody in charge at Ubisoft should be thrown to the wolves. Reboot that whole fucking company from the ground up.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
The player character being raped would have definitely been in a ubisoft game with a mandatory female PC, which as far as I can know is literally only AC syndicate, where you play as both siblings.
Ubisoft: "Games with women as main protagonists don't sell, so we don't put them in our games. Except when you can rape them."

It makes me sick.
I'm leaning towards it being a male victim and it being played for laughs. That along with the native american spirit quests screams Far Cry.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
this is quite possibly the worst thing I've read in a good long while.

what the fuck is wrong with these people at Ubisoft

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
Good thing the "Rape Vibrate" stuff died before the Switch's HD Rumble or PS5's DualSense came to market...

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
This is how Ubisoft treats women

The women who work for them

And the female characters they create..... Absolutely disgusting

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
The dev also says this so I don't think it was meant to be for laughs?

Which is why I don't think it's Syndicate. Trauma is just not a part of that narrative in any way shape or form. There are other AC games where that fits more (suffering trauma that is,), but this really feels like something that is much more linked to Far Cry where the franchise delights in putting the player character through hellish ordeals.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft Quebec did not work on a rape scene for Syndicate. Just looking at the priorities of the people who led development on the game should make you sure of that.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
What the ever-loving fuck is wrong with these people?

Words fail to describe my utter bewilderment how someone could possibly think "playable rape scene" would be a good idea for a mass-market AAA game.

jackdoe

Oct 27, 2017
100% has to be Far Cry. Hell, I thought the tweet was describing a specific scene in Far Cry 3.

DarkTom

Nov 9, 2017
If you buy an Ubisoft game, you are directly supporting rapists...

You are sending a message that you like rape and that rape is ok.

Your support of Ubisoft needs to end. Now.

So if you buy a game where you kill people you are sending a message that you like murder and that murder is ok ?

I mean I'm shocked by what I've read, but murder is almost an every day thing in video games (I mean one of the most famous series is literally called Assassin's Creed) and I'm not. I'm genuinely wondering why.
Maybe it's because in a way, I feel rape could happen more realistically to one of my loved one than murder, which is based on nothing scientific or statistic, just a feeling.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Evie, Aya, Kassandra and now female Eivor, the same story repeats itself over and over and over again. With Hascoët gone, I now sincerely HOPE that it's the very last time we see an Assassin's Creed canon female character being shafted by the marketing team because "WOMEN DON'T SELL!!!". Because yes, this is what is happening to female Eivor as we speak. She was nowhere to be seen, and she's the canon character of Valhalla.

The fact that some devs had to fight in order to stop this rapey mocap shit is mind-blowing to me. This should have been common sense. Holy hell.

Is she? I haven't been paying that much attention, but I vaguely remember reading somewhere that unlike Odyssey here the point was that Eivor could be either, as in "history is fuzzy enough about that it makes sense".

This whole Ubisoft business is disgusting though. Already commented as much in another thread, but this is really all kinds of messed up.

OP
OP

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Is she? I haven't been paying that much attention, but I vaguely remember reading somewhere that unlike Odyssey here the point was that Eivor could be either, as in "history is fuzzy enough about that it makes sense".

This whole Ubisoft business is disgusting though. Already commented as much in another thread, but this is really all kinds of messed up.
Eivor is a female name, it's not actually a neutral name that could apply to either gender/

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Evie, Aya, Kassandra and now female Eivor, the same story repeats itself over and over and over again. With Hascoët gone, I now sincerely HOPE that it's the very last time we see an Assassin's Creed canon female character being shafted by the marketing team because "WOMEN DON'T SELL!!!". Because yes, this is what is happening to female Eivor as we speak. She was nowhere to be seen, and she's the canon character of Valhalla.

The fact that some devs had to fight in order to stop this rapey mocap shit is mind-blowing to me. This should have been common sense. Holy hell.

This goes back to having diversity of opinions not only in the dev team and project management but also the execs because that is where true power lies. The higher ups in this company had virtually absolute power and their behavior goes unchallenged.