• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Former Ubisoft devs bring up examples of devs wanting to include rape and torture scenes that involve the player character, and were resources were wasted making them, and other devs thad to expend a lof of effort to try and convine them not to include it in the game. Some of it actually got to mo cap.

I think we can all agree that these examples are really fucked up and should never have been greenlit in the first place. It also shows the amount of energy that minority devs face not only trying to get minority representation in games but to make sure this trash doesn't. A burden that non-minority devs do not have to face.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I understood her tweets as higher ups/execs wanting those thing and devs fighting to cut that shit. Not that devs were trying to put it in, but honestly, it wouldn't surprise me.

Either way is very, very, VERY fucked up and disgusting.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I think we can all agree that these examples are really fucked up and should never have been greenlit in the first place.

Not only that, in a normal workplace these guys should have kicked out the moment they tried to pitch that shit. But we know now that Ubi certainly wasn't normal, at all.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Off the top of my head I can think of 3 different Ubisoft franchises that contain rape and torture that might have been a fit for those tweets. That says something.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Didn't a F.E.A.R. game have such a scene? I've never played them, but heard something like that would exist in them and it is the male protag that it happens to?

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
The player character being raped would have definitely been in a ubisoft game with a mandatory female PC, which as far as I can know is literally only AC syndicate, where you play as both siblings.

OP
OP

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
The player character being raped would have definitely been in a ubisoft game with a mandatory female PC, which as far as I can know is literally only AC syndicate, where you play as both siblings.
Yeah, I would bet real money it was Evie too, they would definetly make it a female character, and from looking at the that dev's linkedin, she worked on Syndicate so I'd say more likely than not.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Jesus Christ...I should be surprised but...I'm not?

Just revolting.

Emiya777

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
The rape stuff is fucked up, but the Last of Us 2 just had plenty of gruesome torture that nobody really seemed to care about.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's fucked up to even get that far and also that it crossed someone's mind.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
WyWIDhp.gif

broderm

Jun 15, 2020
Good Lord.

I once dreamed to work at ubisoft thinking that would be a great place to work. But fuck me. Those stories.

Never.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I want to know the thought process of whoever designed that scene. Feeling rape through you controller. Just what games lacked.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
The rape stuff is fucked up, but the Last of Us 2 just had plenty of gruesome torture that nobody really seemed to care about.

TLOU2 uses torture specifically to make you uncomfortable. You either come across a torture already having happened (most of the game), see torture being done by someone viewed as an antagonist, or that one scene

where you torture nora, which is literally 3 button presses and explicitly intended to make you the player uncomfortable and then the camera cuts away. After this scene Ellie is shown to be an emotional wreck, deeply damaged by what she has done.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness

Ubisoft: "Games with women as main protagonists don't sell, so we don't put them in our games. Except when you can rape them."

It makes me sick.

Last edited:

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
This is crazy to me cause over the years Ubisoft was one of the few studios to seemingly care about inclusion with the cast, characters, and stories of their games.

I wonder how the culture of the studios is so at odds with the actual product they put out.

OP
OP

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
TLOU2 uses torture specifically to make you uncomfortable. You either come across a torture already having happened (most of the game), see torture being done by someone viewed as an antagonist, or that one scene

where you torture nora, which is literally 3 button presses and explicitly intended to make you the player uncomfortable and then the camera cuts away. After this scene Ellie is shown to be an emotional wreck, deeply damaged by what she has done.
And I have also seen multiple people discuss the violence in TLOU2 and whether it was necessary or not, both here in this forum and professional reviewers, so saying no one cares about it is inaccurate.

And bringing up as a "but" in this thread kinda comes across as "whataboutism" and it does not change the actions of Ubisoft that have been described

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Good Lord.

I once dreamed to work at ubisoft thinking that would be a great place to work. But fuck me. Those stories.

Never.
They are a gigantic company matching the content and size of their games, and it doesn't surprise me that there can be shitty people in a big company.
What is alarming is that these shitty people were at the top of decision making and played a big role in how their games turned out. Despite the amount of people working there, you won't be able to get your voice through that bullshit without risking a demotion.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
It's bad enough that it was allowed to be in the game for so long. But they straight up mocapped the scene and were going to make the controllers vibrate and shit while it was happening. That's so fucking weird.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Guess that VP wanted some additional wish fulfillment in his games.

camelkong

Feb 26, 2018
genuinely speechless. I was gonna get valhalla bc i like the ac games but i think i'm gonna wait until half the company gets fired at this rate

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Evie, Aya, Kassandra and now female Eivor, the same story repeats itself over and over and over again. With Hascoët gone, I now sincerely HOPE that it's the very last time we see an Assassin's Creed canon female character being shafted by the marketing team because "WOMEN DON'T SELL!!!". Because yes, this is what is happening to female Eivor as we speak. She was nowhere to be seen, and she's the canon character of Valhalla.

The fact that some devs had to fight in order to stop this rapey mocap shit is mind-blowing to me. This should have been common sense. Holy hell.