• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like it never hurts to be skeptical about Retro's output capacity. I can believe that the next Retro game we'll see is Metroid Prime 4. Wouldn't mind an HD release of Trilogy, but Metroid is a low priority franchise for NIntendo.

Heh, remember when some people were convinced there would be some unannounced new game from Retro in between Tropical Freeze and Metroid Prime 4, cause Retro couldn't have gone all those years without something to show for it?

skobuffs

Mar 21, 2021
I'm so thankful I was able to find my Wii and Prime Trilogy Collection in storage last summer. HD graphics would be nice though.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah MP3 had the whole hand rotating locks.

I should replay MP3 i really enjoyed it.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I still believe a Prime Trilogy will come out. There's too much fire for the rumor to not be true, but we'll see at E3

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
We ain't never gonna get HD Metroid Prime in an official capacity lmao

Please, just give me MP1 at least

RevoDave

Banned
Apr 17, 2021
I feel like it never hurts to be skeptical about Retro's output capacity. I can believe that the next Retro game we'll see is Metroid Prime 4. Wouldn't mind an HD release of Trilogy, but Metroid is a low priority franchise for NIntendo.

Heh, remember when some people were convinced there would be some unannounced new game from Retro in between Tropical Freeze and Metroid Prime 4, cause Retro couldn't have gone all those years without something to show for it?
They have spent quite a good amount of resources for being a low priority. I mean, started from scratch to a new studio, and it's clearly a AAA title. Samus returns in 2017, this year thw rumoured metroid 5, prime 4, probably prime trilogy. It sells like shit, but it's still important for Nintendo.

Aug 15, 2020
Wikan said:
it could take a year with a full time team of four to five people to rebuild the hundreds of interaction sets in Metroid Prime 3 as well as retuning the gameplay "to take in the slower engagement pacing of conventional controls".
This doesn't seem like a lot. Even with that cost added on top of the usual porting process and low balling MPTHD at 1 million copies, they'd return their investment several fold over.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't a reliable insider say it was more less ready to go? I'm almost sure I've read that. But Nintendo wouldn't just sit on a completed game this long, especially after the MP4 delay. Did I dream this?

Jan 11, 2018

People used to go on and on about how Retro would be a two team studio and put out games faster. Those were the days haha.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I wonder if it would actually be cheaper to just have the game be Physical Only and come with a new Switch compatible Wii-Mote + Nunchuk (and then have Mario Galaxy 2 pop up with compatibility with them).

Didn't a reliable insider say it was more less ready to go? I'm almost sure I've read that. But Nintendo wouldn't just sit on a completed game this long, especially after the MP4 delay. Did I dream this?

Prime Trilogy would likely sell best as a promotion for Prime 4, so if it did exist and was done and I was Nintendo I wouldn't release it until Prime 4 had a more concrete date. They're making money hand over fist with Switch, doesn't really seem like they'd need to put out Prime Trilogy early. I always assumed if it existed it got delayed when Prime 4 did so they could come out the same year (Trilogy around E3 and Prime 4 around Black Friday).

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, I'd take a Metroid Prime 1+2 HD port to Switch. Baggage from a nightmare MP3 port job doesn't have to be a deciding factor for throwing out the first two.

Jan 11, 2018
Alright, I'd take a Metroid Prime 1+2 HD port to Switch. Baggage from a nightmare MP3 port job doesn't have to be a deciding factor for throwing out the first two.

It'd be kinda weird to be like, "Here's Metroid Prime 1 and 2, now please be excited for Metroid Prime 4!"

I guess they could remedy it by dropping the 4 and just giving it a subtitle though. I don't want them to pretend 3 doesn't exist though... It's a great game.

RevoDave

Banned
Apr 17, 2021
It's really weird, Zhuge was one, right?

I love Nintendo, but some of their decisions are hard to understand. If the game is genuinely finished they should have released it shortly after the MP4 delay.
Not sure about Zhuge, but Nate, Emily, king Zell, Thugstas, among others.
But the game is nearly finish now, not two years ago. The rumour says it's MercursySteam who is making the game, and they released Samus Returns in 2017. So it makes sense as a develop cycle of 4 years. I think they haven't bringed anything during this time.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
the effort part suggests that they'd need to spend money and effort to do it and these games won't sell enough to justify that (remember the original Trilogy release never got to a million and that was the easy port)

though i'd be fine with a Prime 1 + 2 combo. if they can emulate the first 2 in the same way Sunshine was emulated, that's be enough.

Oct 25, 2017
México
It'd be kinda weird to be like, "Here's Metroid Prime 1 and 2, now please be excited for Metroid Prime 4!"

I guess they could remedy it by dropping the 4 and just giving it a subtitle though. I don't want them to pretend 3 doesn't exist though... It's a great game.
Metroid Prime 3 is a great game.

But it also takes me back to a time where I wanted to convince myself that it would look better than 360/PS3 games and it makes me cringe.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
Even if it's hard it doesn't mean Nintendo hasn't done or are doing it. He probably knows as much as we do about what's happening inside Nintendo regarding Metroid too, so I wouldn't take his word as gospel about the future of any Metroid game.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
It's 100% finished, sitting right there on the shelf next to Star Fox Grand Prix. Nintendo's just waiting for the right moment.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like 4-5 people working in it for a year isn't that big of a deal? I was kinda under the impression most remasters took a few dozen people a good few months, which would about equate...

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Never got around to playing Metroid Prime 2 (I don't know why I own 1 and 3, I almost bought Trilogy during blockbuster closing sale but someone knicked it before I got there), I was hoping the rumors of Nintendo sitting on the Trilogy for Switch were kind of true. (MP2/Trilogy Wii go for $100+ CDN apparently)

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like 4-5 people working in it for a year isn't that big of a deal? I was kinda under the impression most remasters took a few dozen people a good few months, which would about equate...

No, I'm with you. A handful of people spending a year or so seems.. reasonable?

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Seems like he left the company 8-10 years ago? I'm sure he's correct about the technical challenges but not necessarily the corporate decision making to still do it or not. It's not like retro has exactly had a lot of output in the last decade to have distracted them away from potential technical challenges anyway

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I've always said that we have 0 real proof that Metroid Prime Trilogy HD exists. It would be great if it existed but we just don't have proof.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
I found original traditional controls horrible so I hope they make a more modern focus on them :/

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Should have bluepoint do it.

Seriously though I guess that rumor about Nintendo sitting in the trilogy waiting to release it was bullshit.
But so many insiders claimed to have knowledge that it was done and ready.

Either way, I'll be interested to see if it does release on Switch. If not, I own the GameCube games, the physical trilogy and Wii and I think the digital version on Wii U.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
But so many insiders claimed to have knowledge that it was done and ready.

Either way, I'll be interested to see if it does release on Switch. If not, I own the GameCube games, the physical trilogy and Wii and I think the digital version on Wii U.

Could have been a controlled leak by Nintendo to root out leakers.

Oct 27, 2017
Great. So probably no MPT port, no Eternal Darkness port, but thanks for half-assedly porting some fucking Mario games, Nintendo. Why port some actually interesting stuff when there's Mario games to milk? 🙄

Oct 25, 2017
If we don't get a Prime Trilogy, I might not play Prime 4 . It's wack to start a game-series with a 4 in its name unless it's self-contained with no references to the other games, which is unlikely.

If true, It's disappointing as time goes by that my Switch looks more and more as a Xenoblade/FE machine.
Even if we get Prime Trilogy, I am entirely sure they are developing Prime 4 knowing most of the audience has never touched a Metroid game before.

Samus95

Jun 18, 2020
Even if we get Prime Trilogy, I am entirely sure they are developing Prime 4 knowing most of the audience has never touched a Metroid game before.
Yeah, especually if Tanabe goes on with is obsession with Sylux, and you dont need any contest for it

But they will probably reference the Phazon, maybe in some log or scan

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
A year's work for a team of four to five people doesn't sound exactly hard to overcome, though? That's what, a 1.5 million development budget? Seeing how software has been selling on Switch, that seems easy enough to turn profitable, even accounting for logistics and advertising. Especially if there's a halo effect for Metroid Prime 4.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Huh, I thought a Switch Prime trilogy was already confirmed. My mind must be playing tricks on me.