• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
You sure it's not being made by a bunch of former Sonic Riders devs instead?
O1KwwML.png

304660-sonic-riders-playstation-2-screenshot-in-game-3-stage-1-left.jpg

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
The whole surfing on top of another person still gets to me when it comes to this game.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Guys when you post news from Nintendo-only websites, please look up to see if it's not only on Nintendo systems. (Edit: Or read the first sentence of the link you're pulling the news from.)

It's also coming to Steam on December 12, and PS4 in Q1 2020.

And yah it's former Mario Kart developers, but I don't know to what extent they worked on the games / series.

Here's the official press release:

Unties said:
Tag-Team Racer GENSOU SkyDrift Flies onto Nintendo Switch, Steam Dec. 12
PlayStation 4 Version Sprints for Q1 2020 Release

TOKYO – Nov. 12, 2019 – Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) publishing label UNTIES and the former Mario Kart developers at illuCalab will release the spell-slinging tag-team racer GENSOU SkyDrift onto Nintendo Switch and Steam for Windows PC on Dec. 12, 2019. A PlayStation 4 version will enter the track in Q1 2020.

Race through the beautiful and magical land of Gensokyo at break-neck speeds in a kart racer where your partner is your vehicle. Choose two racers from a roster of 20 magic-infused characters, each with their own driver handling stats and set of power ups, and swap between them on the fly. One racer steers the other, and swapping positions enables dynamic mid-match strategy changes.

Speed through more than 15 breathtaking stages to pulse-pounding music. Navigate through hoops scattered across the tracks to gain temporary boosts and charge racers' mana. Unleash havoc on opposing teams by drawing devastating spells from character-specific decks of offensive and defensive abilities.

Test your skills in Story, Versus, and Time Attack modes or compete against up to seven friends in online multiplayer matches. GENSOU SkyDrift's pool of characters are pulled from the beloved and long-running Touhou Project in a fan-made entry allowing old hands and newcomers alike to see the girls like never before—flying on one another's backs.

"GENSOU SkyDrift offers something new for kart racing and Touhou fans alike," said Mao Mitani, G&R Representative, UNTIES. "Since each character has personalized stats and an expansive list of spells to use, each race is unpredictable and delightful. Playing GENSOU SkyDrift is a rush, one with amazing depth and room for strategy."

GENSOU SkyDrift will be available on Steam for Windows PC and Nintendo Switch for the regular price of $23.99 USD/€ 21.99, and support English, Japanese, and Chinese (Simplified and Traditional). Nintendo Switch pre-orders will begin on Dec. 5, 2019. A 20% launch discount will start when GENSOU SkyDrift goes on sale for each platform.

For more information, please visit the official website and follow @UNTIESWORLD on Twitter.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the creativity of the Touhou fandom. Truly video gaming's most creative fanbase. The sheer amount of fan content is awesome. No one else can compare.

I'm still holding out for a Next Level Games Mario Strikers vs Touhou Soccer crossover since both franchises care just as much about actual football and more about how they can disintegrate the competition even if one's a soccer RPG and the other is an action game

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
This game has been around for YEARS. I remember seeing this game at Comiket close to 4 years ago. Cool to see it finally coming out.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
It's difficult to be a fan of this series sometimes for a variety of reasons. I'm sticking with the main games so far for my own sanity.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I've listened to so much Touhou Eurobeat and watched Initial D. Why didn't I realize Touhou, Eurobeat, and racing were such a wonderful combination. I want this.

upandaway look!

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
For me initially it was the look of everything, I've come to appreciate ZUN's art kindasorta but it doesn't stop a lot of the characters from looking like they are dressed at random. The 'story' in the early games (I'm starting with pc-98) is nonsensical. The brutal difficulty to the point of ridiculing and demoralizing the player for their skill. And then there's how some people overly obsess over all the main characters being little girls a little too much.

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
I actually was really hyped when I saw the title. I like the idea of more cutesy kart racers, but the art style kills it for me. :( I just wish Atlus would bring Snowboard Kids back.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey it's that doujin game making its way to Switch...

...Now where's Touhou Luna Nights?

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird but it actually looks fun. I would have preferred them be using something else like maybe... actual vehicles or... other characters, but it does look kinda fun.