• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
For new page
mslAtqX.png
woah is that a DIY shotgun? Looks like a couple of short barrels duck taped together? At first I thought this was a double-barrelled shotgun like Scout uses in TF2

image.png

But that just looks like straight up homebrew.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
The responses in this thread led me to the wiki for Abe. I don't really have commentary on him but his controversy related to article 9 took me to the Japanese constitution. It literally enshrines the freedom of academia from censorship.

It makes me sad given the flaws in ours…

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
On my Japanese foreign exchange app I notice some people posting pictures of social media comments from Chinese people and getting angry. What's the deal with that? Is there current tension between China and Japan connected specifically to Abe?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
On my Japanese foreign exchange app I notice some people posting pictures of social media comments from Chinese people and getting angry. What's the deal with that? Is there current tension between China and Japan connected specifically to Abe?
It ain't just China. A lot of SEA hates that guy.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Abe was a hardcore war crime denier and directly related to a notable war criminal himself. To say he's unpopular in places like china would be an understatement

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
The responses in this thread led me to the wiki for Abe. I don't really have commentary on him but his controversy related to article 9 took me to the Japanese constitution. It literally enshrines the freedom of academia from censorship.

It makes me sad given the flaws in ours…

That does not play out at all. Look at the academic reforms of just the last 5 years, let alone the entire textbook controversy. That is why all those crying anime faces on Twitter saying Abe ganbare probably don't know what butcher of Manchuria means etc.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Abe was a hardline rightwing conservative at the top of Japan's government for ages and tension between China and Japan has been a thing forever. It's not hard to do the math here

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Japanese right wingers blame everything and anything on Koreans so I don't really see the point of spreading their dumb as shit tweets.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
It's the anniversary of a massacre committed by the Japanese against the Chinese, and tensions are high

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Japan in East Asia in World War 2 was the equivalent of Nazi Germany in Europe; they were the aggressor engaging in massive crimes against humanity.

Shinzo Abe is a historical revisionist who denies this, which naturally leads to tension to the people who are descended from the victims and may see the effects of that history even now.

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of countries that Japan invaded during WW2 kind of have a reason to hate the guy. He basically wouldn't admit that Japan was the aggressor which is pretty wild.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
That does not play out at all. Look at the academic reforms of just the last 5 years, let alone the entire textbook controversy. That is why all those crying anime faces on Twitter saying Abe ganbare probably don't know what butcher of Manchuria means etc.

Ok. Is the war not taught in japan regularly or has it been morphed to cover up the bad parts? For some reason I would have thought it would be similar to Germany where it is taught and freely discussed in all of its details.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Huh. My NHK stream just moved to a prerecorded documentary about the Andes.

How far in advance do political rallies normally get announced? Seems odd to me that the shooter just happened to be in the same city with a homemade shotgun if it's a short notice thing. Not odd in a conspiracy theory way, but in a 'Franz Ferdinand got shot because his originally failed assassin stopped for sandwiches' way.

Ok. Is the war not taught in japan regularly or has it been morphed to cover up the bad parts? For some reason I would have thought it would be similar to Germany where it is taught and freely discussed in all of its gory details.

My understanding is the longer from the war it's been, the less they talk about it at all. It's crazy, because a lot of Japanese movies I've seen 10ish years after the war talk about the atrocities that the main political party sometimes denies ever happened now.

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia

Abe was hated in China due to his stance on removing the pacifist clauses from the Japanese constitution. He was also widely disliked in China, South Korea, the Phillippines and many other parts of Asia due to his stance on historical revisionism about Japan's role in WW2. He was a denier about the Japanese troops using comfort women, and he visited the Yasukuni Shrine (where some Japanese war criminals are buried). He was a controversial figure in many places, even in Australia amongst the WW2 veterans community.

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
This comment makes no sense given that this is set in Japan. Germany is in Europe.

I think this comment is predicated on Japanese pure blood theory. These comments are not merely xenophobic but based on the belief that Japanese essence (pure blood) would preclude such behavior. Unfortunately, in far right circles this is a thing to attack all minorities, sexual, racial, etc.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Abe was a hardcore war crime denier and directly related to a notable war criminal himself. To say he's unpopular in places like china would be an understatement
Yeah, honestly can't exactly blame people from countries like China and Korea for absolutely hating this guy when he openly denies that the war crimes committed against their grandparents and generations before that ever happened.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Abe was hated in China due to his stance on removing the pacifist clauses from the Japanese constitution. He was also widely disliked in China, South Korea, the Phillippines and many other parts of Asia due to his stance on historical revisionism about Japan's role in WW2. He was a denier about the Japanese troops using comfort women, and he visited the Yasukuni Shrine (where some Japanese war criminals are buried). He was a controversial figure in many places, even in Australia amongst the WW2 veterans community.

He also enacted laws that prevented Japanese journalists from criticizing the government. He is not a good person.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
The world really is going to shit isn't it. It doesn't matter that the man was a dick. To be assasinated like that is something that doesn't happen much anymore. Stuff like this can send ripples across the world.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Knowing Japan, the shooter is gonna turn out to be an even more right-wing nationalist who thought abe was too friendly with the US or something.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
Ok. Is the war not taught in japan regularly or has it been morphed to cover up the bad parts? For some reason I would have thought it would be similar to Germany where it is taught and freely discussed in all of its details.
no, it's barely acknowledged. think of it like how america discusses the civil war, or vietnam. they'll touch on some bad things happened but this entire history of this era is a black box at best as far as the mainstream japanese public is concerned. this is all very deliberate, in the same way how the civil war and vietnam is taught, because generation by generation abe's forebearers eroded the public memory of imperial era and reshaped it into a message of sunny nostalgia of when japan was in the driver's seat.

the idea that academia and public exchange of ideas in japan is protected is farcical. one of the reasons why there was so little political violence in japan for so many decades was because of how many student leaders and progressive thinkers were killed or imprisoned after the storm of violence in the 1960s. there just wasn't even targets worth killing so brazenly after that. this also being a period of history that japanese curriculum largely doesn't cover.

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018

Honestly, it has gotten better, but that is absolutely not the case.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
its fucking wild how the rape of nanjing is downplayed or outright denied considering how much is known about it

but then again the downplaying and denial is not about ignorance, its an agenda
For what it's worth, "how much is known" isn't static; it only survives as long as efforts to keep that information available survive.