• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

If I'm not mistaken, the USA has ten times that number per day, with less than three times Japan's population. The USA has as many mass shootings in one or two weeks as Japan has gun deaths total per year.

Anyone making any sort of comparison to the USA is going to be in bad faith because the bigger point is that the gun violence situations in the countries aren't even remotely comparable.

Last edited:

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Maybe a stupid/silly question but can you get shot in the back and then get a heart attack from the shock of it?

He was pretty old.

You can just get shot in the back and then grab your chest because there is significant pain and damage there, especially with a shotgun.

I made that comment because the thread title before it was changed originally read that he was shot in the chest, when subsequent reporting said otherwise.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

Not trying to defend Fox here, but they rarely cover international news unless it directly impacts the US. CNN is the only major news network that has talked about this assassination attempt, and they're the only news organization that's aired internationally. It's just typical bad Fox News shit, but I doubt it's spiteful.

Wait for Tucker, though. He will use this to justify more nationalist bullshit about "defending your own."

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Not trying to defend Fox here, but they rarely cover international news unless it directly impacts the US. CNN is the only major news network that has talked about this assassination attempt, and they're the only news organization that's aired internationally. It's just typical bad Fox News shit, but I doubt it's spiteful.

Wait for Tucker, though. He will use this to justify more nationalist bullshit about "defending your own."
It's less they did it on purpose and more the sheer irony of it.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
NHK seems to be saying the guy was a Nara resident… but also that he didn't run while showing video of him running.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

Abe is/was an awful person, but this is still not a headline I was prepared for. Insane, terrible, momentous. I hope this doesn't push Japan in a worse direction.

May 24, 2019
FXHSw_xaAAAAlut
Not to make light, but I wonder what happened to that person on the left with their legs in the air.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
trending tab on twitter is a mix of tweets from right wingers saying "pray for abe" with pics of him and trump shaking hands and folks i follow saying "rip bozo"

modern political assassination climate

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017

Abe is/was an awful person, but this is still not a headline I was prepared for. Insane, terrible, momentous. I hope this doesn't push Japan in a worse direction.

This is where I'm at.

A gun death in Japan is already extremely rare, but a former PM? That's fucking insanity.

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017

My point was they didn't stop showing this taped program that happened to be talking about Japan and joking about Pearl Harbor. Bad timing, but shows internal incompetence.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
trending tab on twitter is a mix of tweets from right wingers saying "pray for abe" with pics of him and trump shaking hands and folks i follow saying "rip bozo"

Yeah the English discourse is gonna boil down to "he was friends with Trump".

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

Sounds about right. Politics have gotten downright nasty in the latter part of the last decade.

May 24, 2019
Why air this? If you have no one covering something live, then just hold off until people come in the next morning. Finding pretaped segments and airing it just because "Japan" is extremely tone deaf.

Of course, this is me assuming this is old news and not some previously scheduled segment.
It's probably just coincidence. They aren't gonna go off scedule for some international news that just happened.

Edit: and there was probably no editorial oversight at that moment to know that the show would have a segment on Japan in it. Probably just technicians making sure it played in time.

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jesus Christ. That's horrible and terrifying….. a shotgun to the back…..
Yeah like it's one thing when a horrid person dies of like the usual causes, but like it just feels a tad psychotic to be gleeful about a dude going out that way regardless of political leanings.

But Japanese politics is so removed from my life I don't think I can honestly judge this dude because as I said for me I only know him as dude who Trump was buddies with and wanted people to have kids.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Have they said anything about motive? Shooting a former PM is like shooting Jimmy Carter; the only thing that makes sense to me is a whacko or someone with a real ax to grind.

Not to make light, but I wonder what happened to that person on the left with their legs in the air.

They're next to some fencing/guardrails. Likely tried to jump them in a panic and tripped.

In the footage the gun shot sounds like a bomb
Shotguns are pretty loud, especially if the tall buildings change the acoustics.

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia

I do worry about what the assassination of a prominent nationalist politician means.

It will be an awkward moment in international relations if he dies, especially for South Korea and China who (justifiably) hated him. Will they express condolences and go to his funeral?

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
That's insane.

Have they said anything about motive? Shooting a former PM is like shooting Jimmy Carter; the only thing that makes sense to me is a whacko or someone with a real ax to grind.

That doesn't seem like this is a proper analogy as Abe has tremendous influence in the party currently.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017

They're next to some fencing/guardrails. Likely tried to jump them in a panic and tripped.

Shotguns are pretty loud, especially if the tall buildings change the acoustics.
Abe holds a lot of power still. He's no longer PM but he has a huge influence on the LDP

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but shrug, I don't feel bad, Abe is a piece of shit. What worries me is that this will lead to more LDP support.

Meanwookie

Jan 6, 2022
Not being PM doesn't mean he still wasn't active and had influence

Oh he does not sure if you know this but inside Abes party there are different organized factions that have their own names lead by different party members.

Abes factions was the biggest and the most influential if you look at the party structure you could almost compare it to crime organisation.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
looks like we're in the holding pattern of news for now if NHK is reporting on what american media is reporting (as sourced from NHK)

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Not alot of people are familiar with real gun sound, since it seem like movie and tv gun sound is not the same as real gun sound.
TV and movies use a ton of fake sounds because things don't really read in real life as they seem like they should to someone unfamiliar. Guns, horses, eagles, so on and so forth.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
I'm in Japan working right now and I didn't even know until I was messaged about it. Abe is a piece of shit, so whatever happens happens. Obviously this shouldn't happen to anyone.

Farts and prayers 🙏