• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How many enemies does the former PM have? And I don't just mean people who disagree with his politics and views. I can't imagine why any opposition party would benefit from his assassination.
I'm sure he has amassed plenty in his political lifetime. This seemed particularly personal given the killer's calm reaction after shooting Abe and the homemade aesthetic of his shotgun.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Absolutely looks like a homemade weapon, haven't seen anything like that before. There's another photo showing it from a different angle too- it's seemingly double barreled

Maybe a homemade sawed-off. People on Twitter are speculating that it's 3d printed but it looks pretty rough.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know exactly what U.S. news will say, and I am not happy about it. Between this and the Denmark shooting, any further restrictions on guns in the U.S. are gonna be hard blocked. Worse still if the weapon was homemade.

As far as how Japan reacts to this; I genuinely don't know and can't speculate.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit considering how rare gun violence is in Japan
this is why i think this was a hit. you'd think your average angry at the government types in japan would be more likely to use a knife or some other type of hand weapon that is easily available. whoever did this really did not want abe to survive.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
What???

This man must have like 4 guard around him tho, this is insane

I imagine they weren't prepared for this, since it's so rare. They may have been more prepared for a stabbing, as those are more common.

NHK is saying there was secret service guards, which answers the question I had as to whether an equivalence existed there.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
NHK is referring to this as "suspected murder." Is this the same as "attempted murder" or is this confirmation Abe has died?

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
I am watching the 0テレ stream, and they showed them pick him up and carry him away. I don't believe he was conscious on the way to the hospital. His body was completely limp.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
this is why i think this was a hit. you'd think your average angry at the government types in japan would be more likely to use a knife or some other type of hand weapon that is easily available. whoever did this really did not want abe to not survive.
either that or they have a really deep grudge, yeah

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I know exactly what U.S. news will say, and I am not happy about it. Between this and the Denmark shooting, any further restrictions on guns in the U.S. are gonna be hard blocked. Worse still if the weapon was homemade.

Eh US didn't flinch when a US congressman got shot in 2017. So this is par the course.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
That's a strange looking shotgun. I've never seen anything like that. It almost looks like a zoom lens camera. How terrible.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I play Horizon for like an hour and this happens.

World please chill for 2 seconds.

Insane. Abe definitely made a lot of enemies. Someone wanted his ass gone for good.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
No tear will ever be shed for fascist pigs, but the repercurtion could be very worrying.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Updated the title as the video seems to show the shots coming from behind

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
In the footage you can see him (the shooter) just waiting in the background the whole time.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
NHK is referring to this as "suspected murder." Is this the same as "attempted murder" or is this confirmation Abe has died?

nhk probably scrambling interpreters live, wouldn't read into it right now. mistakes in interpretation especially under these conditions is going to happen

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
For those saying that people in the U.S. will use this to condemn gun control - is there literally anything that could happen that gun advocates in the U.S. wouldn't spin in a pro-gun way? You have at least one mass shooting every day and hundreds of one-off shootings on top of it and even that can't maintain a firm gun control narrative.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely fucking wild. And yeah the way it's being described I'll be very surprised if Abe actually makes it.

This has been a really wild fucking week, holy shit.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

Which is crazy, because more people have died of gun deaths in the US in the past week than both of those other countries combined.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if you go to the trouble of making a homemade shotgun to kill someone, you must want to be really close and for it to hurt like hell, for sure.
Yeah, the fact that it seems homemade makes it seem more likely this is just someone with a really deep personal grudge. Getting guns in Japan is super difficult, but it's not impossible so I feel like any larger organization would have provided something more reliable

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how you make legislation for homemade guns. It's not like you can enforce a ban of all the over-the-counter materials you need to make one.

Oct 26, 2017
news.yahoo.co.jp

【速報】安倍元総理が銃撃され心肺停止 発砲は背後から拳銃2発『左胸や首に命中』ドクターヘリで病院へ搬送 元海上自衛隊員の男を逮捕 奈良・近鉄「大和西大寺駅前」で演説中(MBSニュース) - Yahoo!ニュース

7月8日、午前11時半ごろ奈良県にある近鉄「大和西大寺駅」駅付近で、演説を行っていた安倍晋三元総理が銃のようなもので撃たれ、心肺停止の状態です。 

Not sure if posted but this says he is in cardiopulmonary arrest