• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck, getting shot in the back and with a shotgun? And in Japan of all places? And a former PM? This will shock the nation for a long time.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
i hope this doesn't lead to some right wing reactionary shit from Japan's government. Both Abe and his successors are hardcore rightwing nationalists so depending on who did this this could escalate super quickly. Like imagine if this was someone of chinese origin (not even necessarily a Chinese citizen or someone affiliated with the chinese government, just somebody with Chinese heritage). Could easily be used to enflame shit
We're on the same page. LDP will totally use this and do even better in the polls in a few days. Japan is never escaping the LDP.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel this is the first time I've ever heard of a major Japanese gun crime, makes me wonder if the media will crack down on gun-based toys and guns in media like the US has.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Unbelievable. Gun violence is extremely rare in Japan as it is, let alone targeted at a major political figure.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's odd in a way because this is an all-time huge historical event that we're witnessing in real-time yet because of that it's hard to appreciate what is actually happening here.
Yeah, I don't think there's been an assassination of this magnitude in decades. Not in my lifetime, at least. You'd have to go back to, like, Rajiv Gandhi? Even if Abe wasn't sitting Prime Minister, he was probably the most influential politician in one of the most influential countries on Earth.

One for the history books. Absolutely crazy.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
So I know very little about guns, but aren't shotguns what it's normally used to hunt larger animals?

Shotguns are useful for hunting small things that move quickly like birds or rabbits.

I should have figured. Maybe there more limitations than I think there are, I mean as opposed to hunting rifles, that would make shotguns "ideal" as the only firearm you can legally aquire.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't think there's been an assassination of this magnitude in decades. Not in my lifetime, at least. You'd have to go back to, like, Rajiv Gandhi? Even if Abe wasn't sitting Prime Minister, he was probably the most influential politician in one of the most influential countries on Earth.

I would think he would have had more security. Even if he is "only" a former PM.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Damn, that's crazy. A world leader, former or not, to be attacked like that is a major security failure. It's been decades since any head of state of one of the major powers was seriously attacked, let alone killed.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
2 shots, allegedly, at close range and at that age… I don't think he's making it. This is crazy.

shounenka

Nov 22, 2017
Yokohama
A far-leftist? Someone with a personal grudge?

Either way, we know what party's winning the Upper House election on Sunday now. Not that it was ever really in question.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I know he was controversial and had some garbage agendas, but he did not deserve this of all things.

Yes, shotguns are available in Japan. This older dude I knew in Narita had one on his farm and his brother has one just to scare some wildlife off, but not kill them. They have to go through background checks and post checks while owning it.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
This is fucking nuts. I wonder what the motive could possibly be?

What a weird choice, to have a shotgun, of all things, be the only legal firearm in a country. I would think that, if it were any single type of firearm, it'd be something that would really only be effective for hunting. You know, something that's not specifically made to kill a person.

Shotguns are used to hunt all kinds of small game. They're extremely common as a hunting weapon. A long barrel shotgun has good stopping power but isn't all that reliable at killing a person.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf kind of thing is this ??
honestly even if you think Abe was an asshole (and he absolutely was) and even if you think he deserved to die for that, this type of death literally only strengthens the power of people with similar beliefs who will parade him as a martyr. Like again at the risk of sounding tin foil hatty i can't help but feel like the people who'd stand to gain the most here are other members of his own party who now have a power vacuum they can fill and an event they can use as propaganda. obviously that's not the only reason, a dude like Abe has accumulated tons of personal grudges and even a lone nutjob, while unlikely due to Japan's gun laws, isn't impossible. and of course the worst case option of this being a hit by a foreign country isn't off the table yet either

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The dude who was assassinated at that art gallery a few years back maybe? But even then the fact I don't remember the name probably speaks volumes.

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia

Benazir Bhutto was the last really big one I can remember

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
That was the case anyway. They have had control for 62/66 years since their founding.

Yeah. Suffice to say I haven't kept a close eye on the inner national politics of the country recently but were this politically motivated then I imagine it would be futile, as literally shooting political officials will likely do nothing but augment the political monopoly.

Who knows if it was personally motivated or something else, though.

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
For some reason this is making me remember Oumu Shinrikyou's politically motivated terrorism and murders. LDP is for sure going to wield this for political gain, but I am hoping this stops here. I am hoping its a lone wolf and not some fanatical faction.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
What a weird choice, to have a shotgun, of all things, be the only legal firearm in a country. I would think that, if it were any single type of firearm, it'd be something that would really only be effective for hunting. You know, something that's not specifically made to kill a person.

Unlike video games would have you believe, shotguns are mostly for hunting game

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Fair warning NHK is playing footage of the apparent shooting on loop. No blood but you may want to avoid

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
So what kind of policies did he advocate for in life?

If he was ultra right wing, then that means there was probably a good chance he wanted to make life hell for anyone not evil.
FXHURMAUcAEDBz_