• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Was he seeking some sort of position or was he stumping for his party?

I haven't been keeping up with politics there as much as I used to, but I'm pretty sure he stepped down for supposed health reasons and there wasn't any rumours about him trying to get back in again. Could easily be wrong, though.

What is the political climate in Japan right now? I know he's a former PM, but are things that divided/intense?

The ruling party there is essentially the only party with real power, I think.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Saw the notification on my phone initially just saying he collapsed. This is quite the update, holy shit.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Just insane. This is a huge story. We're too immersed in it to even realize how big this is.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think it was that crazy. I mean, I knew he was a dick but he's not exactly in power anymore so this is a bit unexpected on several fronts.

It is weird, but he is kind of known as the puppetmaster in the party. I couldn't tell you who might be responsible, but dude is connected to some not so nice organizations so maybe something there? Someone pissed off about his plans to change the constitution? Yakuza?

I suppose we'll find out soon enough though, sounds like they got the guy.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
wow, arent guns pretty rare in japan?

I've never lived full time in Japan, only visited, but I've always heard it's very different to get guns of any kind, yes. A local told me once that for a civie to get drugs or guns in Japan, you either have to be really well connected or go down some really dark alleys.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Extremely unsettling considering Japan's history of political assassinations.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I don't understand why he would even be a target. He wasn't even in power.

His party is in power and remains in power near indefinitely. Even if he's not the PM, he remains a significant behind the scenes figure. This was done at stump speech, so clearly he still has sizable political power, and that isn't a secret

OP
OP
Mankoto

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
NHK Live Link

www.youtube.com

LIVE: NHK WORLD-JAPAN News

Every Hour. Every Day. Live News from Japan, Asia and the World.Latest News On Demand:https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/programs/?cid=wohk-yt-org_site_...
They shot him twice. The first caused him to fall backwards. On the second shot, he fell to the ground. The attacker didn't flee, he just stood there.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Holy shit. And with a shotgun too?! That's insane! I don't even know if he will survive one, let alone two shots.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Pre-attack image

FXHNjHJacAAzwMr

How the hell does someone sneak in a shotgun and get close at a public event like this?

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, a shotgun blow to the back? Considering how rare guns are in Japan that sounds like an assassination.