• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I have literally only heard of Quibi in the context of it dying, Union busting or stealing content.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is the first time I've heard of this. I've looked at their shows... there is absolutely nothing that seems interesting, apart from that show with Anna Kendrick. And that's only because there's Anna Kendrick in it.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they can produce and host Martin Scorsese's new movie in glorious vertical aspect ratio

Oct 30, 2017
It's such a boomer idea, kids like these snapchats and tiktoks, so they're bound to watch drama and comedy in this format. Despite the fact that long-form (if you can TV length dramas and comedies that) are the most dominant media format to this day.

Nov 9, 2017
I was excited for Reno 911 until I learned I have to install something called Quibi and then forgot all about it and went about my day.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think where the "making fun of quibi" misses the mark for me is that they gave a lot of really talented people a lot of money.
The shows are diverse.
Lots of minority representation
Lots of LGBT representation.

The platform may be a completely failure.
But there are some fun shows that were made by and staring talented and creative people.

It is just a shame most people won't get to see some most of it.
it's also made pretty much entirely to bypass union regulations, so, y'know. let's not go buckwild praising it for The Representation

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what happens to all these shows if Quibi dies? Will there be 16x9 versions available, or are they forever stuck in a vertical video format?

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first time I heard of this service I literally laughed, no I will not be enticed to pay for short films that are meant to be seen on a smart phone.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
The ad campaign for this had to be outrageous. So much money burned.

And how they ever got all this talent to sign up for it is amazing. All for a disaster

BearPawB

Oct 25, 2017
Is Reno 911 good, at least?
It is really really good
As good as the show has ever been

And maybe the only show on the service that feels built for the platform.
They do fun things with mock cell phone footage and stuff that plays really well on the phone format.

TuneTuneGuy

Mar 11, 2020
They launched a short form, quick bite premium series base streaming service when people have a greater than average amount of free time. Is he right? Yeah. Was it gonna be a success before covid? Probably not. There's too many paid streaming services right now and biggest and arguably best one is 15 bucks a month.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm the rare person who thought the idea was pretty good. If I was still traveling for work everyday I would probably use it for the three months trial. I mean it's not the worst idea.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
People keep saying this was aimed at "commuters", yet a huge percentage of people are driving to work every day. So this app's target audience (at least in the US) was basically, like, New Yorkers.

BearPawB

Oct 25, 2017
People keep saying this was aimed at "commuters", yet a huge percentage of people are driving to work every day. So this app's target audience (at least in the US) was basically, like, New Yorkers.

Eh also:
"Waiting for your kid in the school parking lot"
"let me watch something on my lunch break"
Basically any time where you have 10 minutes to kill.

I agree it is a bad strat (i can watch anything on my lunch break). But they came up with a million use cases in their minds lol

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Eh also:
"Waiting for your kid in the school parking lot"
"let me watch something on my lunch break"
Basically any time where you have 10 minutes to kill.

I agree it is a bad strat (i can watch anything on my lunch break). But they came up with a million use cases in their minds lol

Yeah, it just feels like 10 minutes is a lot of time for a time-to-kill session. Usually when I'm killing time on my phone, I'm on for less than 2 minutes. That's why Twitter, Instagram, TikTok work so well. I can scroll through and watch/read anything new and be caught up in 90 seconds. 10 minutes is just such a weird length of time for something that is supposed to be short-form media. Too long for casual time-killing but too short for traditional story telling.

Also, there is this...

BearPawB

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it just feels like 10 minutes is a lot of time for a time-to-kill session. Usually when I'm killing time on my phone, I'm on for less than 2 minutes. That's why Twitter, Instagram, TikTok work so well. I can scroll through and watch/read anything new and be caught up in 90 seconds. 10 minutes is just such a weird length of time for something that is supposed to be short-form media. Too long for casual time-killing but too short for traditional story telling.

Also, there is this...

yeah, that tweet really is the huge glaring flaw that some of the biggest names in the industry just glossed over

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I said it was doomed to fail before Corona hit and I was attacked by people using the "Do you know how many people have cellphones!?" reasoning.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
I saw Quibi ads non-stop for a month and a half before I actually figured out what it was. So they might want to take a look at their marketing also.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Downloaded 100% to watch Reno 911 and will cancel before my free trial is up. Nothing else on this service looks even slightly interesting. If they had more Reno 911 like stuff and a Roku App I would maybe consider but seems that is not even close to being in the cards. Bummed the Reno 911 stuff is stuck here but glad they at least funded what we have.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
You'd think it would be doing better since everyone is at home. I've seen a bunch of Reno 911 ads.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I don't want to mindlessly watch videos on my phone. And in the rare event when I do, it's like 2-3 minute clips on YouTube of something very specific. Most of the time I'd rather scroll through endless lists like Twitter or Instagram. The idea was dumb on its face but becomes even more dumb when you ask people to shell out a subscription fee for it.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Can you only watch these through the phone app? Because if so, there's your problem.

Blaming the virus is stupid, people binge watch TV shows without a global pandemic and are still busy during one. If the entire business model was "our demographic is only people that are commuting", then that's a terrible business model. In reality, no one wanted to pay for short form content. The end.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My animation professor worked at Disney under this guy.

... He had a LOT of unflattering stories.

There's a reason they took out some aggression on him later on in The Incredibles.
EnchantedSpecificBlackfootedferret-size_restricted.gif

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Also you could just go on yourself for free if you need to kill some time or go on your Twitter or Instagram

It doesn't require subscription service

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Who could've possibly guessed that

*checks notes*

charging MORE than fucking Hulu for content starring such huge names as

*checks notes*

Dark Phoenix star Sophie Turner and

*checks notes*

Liam Hemsworth, star of "I'll never be as famous as my brother, even if I live to 200"

wouldn't be successful?

WHO COULD HAVE POSSIBLY GUESSED?
It costs more than fucking Hulu

Like why

It should be alot cheaper if it's a killing time app

This was destined to fail

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
To be absolutely honest, it's the name that kills it for me. I wouldn't sub to netflix was called quibli.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
The idea is fine, the content fucking sucks, I was curious and wateched maybe 4 series to completion and only flipped was something I thought was "good", the others were awful and the whole 10 minute thing felt forced and episodes ended abruptly. They honestly never had a show like house of cards or mandolorian that created enough buzz for people to even give a shit, paid all that money for talent but nothing to show for it, blame their content team.