• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
'petty', really?

So when it concerns a thing you like, critical work conditions are acceptable? Is that what's at play here?

André absolutely deserves flak for propagating crunch conditions.

For the record, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying this habit of trying to find every single thing a person has ever said/tweeted and trying to tie it into whatever drama is happening is unnecessary and unhealthy. The discussion about Gamexplain and Andre's running of it can still carry on.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I assumed GX couldn't make enough money on ad revenue to pay adequately, but I was wrong. Sure looks like Andre is pocketing most of the money while overworking the underpaid employees, it really is disappointing.
Explains why the vibe and energy was kinda off in many of the episodes and Andre was MIA for many episodes per year.

Must have been weird recording a podcast when you know your staff is struggling and yet keep showing up, putting as much work into your company.

Overall just a sad affair. GX is slot bigger than other outlets that seem to be able to treat their staff just fine.

You know the staff was dedicated to videogames and the community, because there is no way they would have showed up for what they where earning under these conditions.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
For the record, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying this habit of trying to find every single thing a person has ever said/tweeted and trying to tie it into whatever drama is happening is unnecessary and unhealthy. The discussion about Gamexplain and Andre's running of it can still carry on.
It takes all but 2 seconds of googling 'Andre Segers Crunch', first result shows the tweet.

Pointing out the hypocrisy is well warranted.

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing to hear albeit not surprising given the mass exodus. GameXplain really was Jon, Steve, Derrick and Ash to be, so seeing them all leave meant GX was basically done for me.

I've really been enjoying watching GVGs videos and I'm glad to hear everyone is doing much better now. They absolutely deserve it

dabbling

Dec 3, 2018
Tim Rogers' review of FF7R: May 25, 234,438 views, 3:18:55 long
Tim overworks and I worry for his health, but he does it to himself as he's effectively a one man band. Plus his patreon numbers are public knowledge and he's clearly doing fine financially.

The gamexplain situation is inexcusable and I only hope the newer staff members are on better financial terms.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Disappointing to hear albeit not surprising given the mass exodus. GameXplain really was Jon, Steve, Derrick and Ash to be, so seeing them all leave meant GX was basically done for me.

I've really been enjoying watching GVGs videos and I'm glad to hear everyone is doing much better now. They absolutely deserve it
Ive been really enjoying the GVG streams and their daily discussions - love these guys, great to see them finding a healthier path for expressing the love and enthusiasm for the medium.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
Bullshit.

And brainchild, this may be even harder to hear for you.

So I actually went ahead and did a bit of math here. So I decided to count the amount of views they have in a single month. I went for April, because that was the whole FF7 debacle, the team was still all there, and it was before they started to have the new crew on.

So I counted the viewcounts of april. For the record, I started on Last of 2 Delayed, and I ended on TONS of New Xenoblade Screenshots. Just so people can check my math. I merely counted all of the views from the videos, and man is it staggering. There were a total of 9,252K views. Now this gives us a great baseline, considering that youtube/advertisers grant a certain amount per thousand views.
Now the actual numbers can change and vary, depending on ads and stuff. But the common wisdom, is that a youtube video will make around $3-$5 per thousand views.

Even on the low end, it doesn't look great for Andre. If every video made $3 per thousand views, that means GameXplain racked up a total of $27,756 within the month of April. Alone. At the high end, it means GameXplain racked up a total of $45,260 in the month of April. And yes, advertisers change, so the answer is likely somewhere in the middle, and it stacks up with what Steve's Wife was saying. And this is even before their extra sources of revenue. They have a patreon, are brand ambassadors for Amazon(they get a cut from amazon links in the description), and they also sell some merch. Not to mention donations from streams, and ect. Looking at this.... It is absolutely disgusting that Steve wasn't paid. With this amount of monthly revenue, even on the low end, they would be able to pay each person at GX(at the time) at least 80K a year, with a lot left over. Hell even 40k would be pretty substantial for the "part timers" like Steve and Ash.

This is absolutely disgusting.
I get where you are coming from and I don't want to say that the channel is not making enough money to pay its employees. But 3$-5$ per 1000 views as an average is for a lot of channels just to high. Gamexplain has many really short videos without much original content. And as far as I know, on videos which aren't longer than 2 minutes you can't have inbetween ads. The average per 1000 views could easily just be about 2$. Especially older videos will probably make less money per 1000 views. Of course with Covid, where YouTube increased the amount of ads per video, this could have changed this year. But even if the cpm is under 1$ for some less "optimized" videos, gamexplain should still be able to pay more than just 1-2$ per hour. Especially when you have Amazon, Patreon and merch.

Last edited:

Arkai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So my expectation on this is that staff at GX are salaried but given the amount of hours needed to produce content for the YouTube channel, it works out to be beyond normal working hours of something like 9-5 and as a result effectively reduced what the $/hour rate would ultimately be due to the time investment.

It's also exceptionally telling that Andre is silent about this. So thinking he had salaried staff and was conscious about the fact they would be overworking more so leveraged it in his favour instead of a basic per hour salary.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Do the bigger outlets actually pay their staff for time spent playing a game? I've never been paid for time played, only actually writing a review.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Well all of you that were excusing this for bogus reasons such as "YouTube is hard" or "Gamexplain's videos aren't doing well enough to pay all of their staff" should really be put to shame.

The question is: where has all of this money been going? I think we all know the answer here.
Bullshit.

So I actually went ahead and did a bit of math here. So I decided to count the amount of views they have in a single month. I went for April, because that was the whole FF7 debacle, the team was still all there, and it was before they started to have the new crew on.

So I counted the viewcounts of april. For the record, I started on Last of 2 Delayed, and I ended on TONS of New Xenoblade Screenshots. Just so people can check my math. I merely counted all of the views from the videos, and man is it staggering. There were a total of 9,252K views. Now this gives us a great baseline, considering that youtube/advertisers grant a certain amount per thousand views.
Now the actual numbers can change and vary, depending on ads and stuff. But the common wisdom, is that a youtube video will make around $3-$5 per thousand views.

Even on the low end, it doesn't look great for Andre. If every video made $3 per thousand views, that means GameXplain racked up a total of $27,756 within the month of April. Alone. At the high end, it means GameXplain racked up a total of $45,260 in the month of April. And yes, advertisers change, so the answer is likely somewhere in the middle, and it stacks up with what Steve's Wife was saying. And this is even before their extra sources of revenue. They have a patreon, are brand ambassadors for Amazon(they get a cut from amazon links in the description), and they also sell some merch. Not to mention donations from streams, and ect. Looking at this.... It is absolutely disgusting that Steve wasn't paid. With this amount of monthly revenue, even on the low end, they would be able to pay each person at GX(at the time) at least 80K a year, with a lot left over. Hell even 40k would be pretty substantial for the "part timers" like Steve and Ash.

Well, ill eat crow. My numbers where way lower when i calculated how much, and going by word of so many small youtubers that had a quarter of those subs and more views per video that it wouldnt pay without patreon made me think that even it they are that big, paying 6 people would be hard.

With your numbers...yeah, thats bad, really bad. Especially with cases like brainchild and MykonosFan, for whom i thought that those where also payed, even if they where not part of the core staff.

Its time for a public statement of Andre. I dont expect one of the current team (its their job after all), but andre should make a statement.

Good work on the research.

Jon_Sama

Aug 19, 2018

Ah I see, apologies if I came off a bit too strong. When it comes to years old posts/tweets I'd agree with you, as I believe people should be given room to grow from their past mistakes. Ofc that's only valid if they have grown and not stuck to their old harmful ways.

This case though? The tweet's very recent, and came not too long after the exodus that resulted in the formation of Good Vibes Gaming, so the callout is warranted.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Ah I see, apologies if I came off a bit too strong. When it comes to years old posts/tweets I'd agree with you, as I believe people should be given room to grow from their past mistakes. Ofc that's only valid if they have grown and not stuck to their old harmful ways.

This case though? The tweet's very recent, and came not too long after the exodus that resulted in the formation of Good Vibes Gaming, so the callout is warranted.
Im on the "dont dig stuff up" side, but youre right here, that it sits right therer in the timeline where they themselve had such problems (the FF7 review was shortly prior to that, was it?)

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
I'm not going to go into too much details about my own job in gaming journalism - I'm satisfied BUT that is because I don't review a lot of games. Maybe 4 or 5 a year, only games I was planning to play anyway. Instead I focus on news and other stories. Dunno how it is everywhere else but in the Netherlands gamesites pay you per story mostly, so reviewing a game gives you very little money for the time you have spend, especially if its a big game.

I don't if thats the situation here - havent had the time to read the entire topic so my apologies if Im off the mark - but thats what I learned when I went from fulltimer to freelancer: stick to stuff that is worth it money-wise. If you have that luxury, of course. I don't work for media that don't fit with that philosophy.

Edit: I want to repeat that I understand that a lot of people in my field don't have that luxury, so I hope I don't come off as oblivious to the troubles these people go through. I sympathise with them greatly. I was just in luck that after five or so years of doing a lot for the minimal amount of money, I scored a full time job with normal paywage, and after ten years I build up enough connections and reputation to leave that job and go freelance and pick and choose the work that fitted my needs the most. Looking around, its an exception to the rule. And I'm betting that working in YouTube instead of dedicated sites, as well as in another country like the US, makes even more difference. Just to give some context.

I have a feeling a lot of my indirect colleagues are caught between a rock and a hard place. You want to work in this field, but beggars can't be choosers. Most have very little leverage, and I think a lot of media companies think: 'if you won't do it for that price, we will find someone else who will'. Its something that even goes through my head every time when taking an assigment: you don't want to price yourself out of the market. It's a tight rope to balance on. That's why I scoff whenever I see posts claiming game journalists have it easy, playing games for work all day and living the good life. Lol, talk about not knowing what's going on.

This post got a lot longer than I anticipated thanks to multiple edits. I want to end with saying that I hope that the people who quit can find a way to stay in the field, but have a healthy work/life balance with a decent salary. If nothing changes, we could be looking at the beginning of the end for this field. The current economy makes it even more important to bag a decent salary.

Last edited:

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Ive been really enjoying the GVG streams and their daily discussions - love these guys, great to see them finding a healthier path for expressing the love and enthusiasm for the medium.
I'm loving GVG as well but I do wonder how sustainable it is. There are so many Nintendo channels right now, For example you have Player essence, Nintendo Life, AndresRestart, Nintendo World Report TV, Switch Watch, Switchforce, Switch Stop, Commonwealth Realm, Source Gaming and of course GameXplain.

Then there are channels that focus heavily on Nintendo and are among the bigger gaming channels. Spawn Wave, Scott The Woz, BeatEmUps, Arlo and RGT 85 for example.

There needs to be some sort of constant flow of content to go alongside the talkshow

Currently only their vids with big guests like Rogers Base and Scott are doing decent numbers. Everything else is around 5000 views. I hope that will grow, same goes for their Patreon number that's not showing that much growth unfortunately.

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Bullshit.

That's really interesting, thanks for taking the time to explain that! I stand corrected

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bullshit.

Yikes... I didn't think they got that many views myself. This is just sad. I hope everyone involved is getting better deals right now.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I had found it odd that Andre was not in many vids and seemed absent from any of the live-streams I watched guess It makes sense now. I subbed to GVG once it went live. This news I'm now unsubbed from GX. Also lets not forget how Andre "accidentally" blocked boundary break when this stuff was happening and questions were in the air.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm loving GVG as well but I do wonder how sustainable it is. There are so many Nintendo channels right now, For example you have Player essence, Nintendo Life, AndresRestart, Nintendo World Report TV, Switch Watch, Switchforce, Switch Stop, Commonwealth Realm, Source Gaming and of course GameXplain.

Then there are channels that focus heavily on Nintendo and are among the bigger gaming channels. Spawn Wave, Scott The Woz, BeatEmUps, Arlo and RGT 85 for example.

There needs to be some sort of constant flow of content to go alongside the talkshow

Currently only their vids with big guests like Rogers Base and Scott are doing decent numbers. Everything else is around 5000 views. I hope that will grow, same goes for their Patreon number that's not showing that much growth unfortunately.
Rogersbase was guest on GVG?

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I had found it odd that Andre was not in many vids and seemed absent from any of the live-streams I watched guess It makes sense now. I subbed to GVG once it went live. This news I'm now unsubbed from GX. Also lets not forget how Andre "accidentally" blocked boundary break when this stuff was happening and questions were in the air.

yeah this is an aside but I always found it weird that he claimed it was an accidental block. That's a whole lot of precise accidental clicks lol (unless there's a way to block I'm unaware of).

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

You have to start somewhere and YT views arent everything see EZA and co. that all have not that many views on YT and are still viable because of Patreon. We are also still in the mid of a pandemic with alot of things slowing down. Most important thing is they can do what they want and can decide how much wort to put into whatever they get out of it - as long as they are healthy and happy...all other stuff will come in time.

Rogersbase was guest on GVG?
www.youtube.com

Today's News Tonight w/ RogersBase! (12/18/20) - Putting Supernova's Length to Shame

The one and only RogersBase joins the GVG crew to discuss Sephiroth joining Smash Ultimate, the Super Nintendo World Direct, One Piece's impending 1,000th ch...

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
TheCongressman Handicapped Duck QuixoticNeutral and anyone else who mentions me in this thread:

I'm gonna check out now since I think I've said more than enough (mainly out of frustration and disappointment) but I'm extremely grateful for everyone's support and I'll never be the same after this. Thank you all.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm most angered by the hypocrisy since Andre was such an appreciated liberal voice in the gaming media sphere leading up to the election. You can't in good faith call out others—no matter how much they deserve it—while simultaneously enacting economic oppression on your own dedicated and extremely talented group of employees.

AndreGX - where's your response?

Oct 28, 2017
So my expectation on this is that staff at GX are salaried but given the amount of hours needed to produce content for the YouTube channel, it works out to be beyond normal working hours of something like 9-5 and as a result effectively reduced what the $/hour rate would ultimately be due to the time investment.

It's also exceptionally telling that Andre is silent about this. So thinking he had salaried staff and was conscious about the fact they would be overworking more so leveraged it in his favour instead of a basic per hour salary.

No. Most likely they are contract workers paid per article. They have to develop their own contacts, get their own codes for review and then play the game. To the extent there's crunch, that's less the fault of the site and more the publisher giving keys to long games with little time before the embargo.

I don't know what happened here specifically, but this is how games journalism works pretty much everywhere. It's like this because there aren't many articles but there are a great many looking to get into their dream job.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bullshit.

Goddamn. I really have no words besides what the fuck Andre.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
The longer this allows to gestate without Andre addressing it the worst it'll be for his channel. It's already starting to hit their videos. Just looked at the comments in the new video. We got "Tris, I hope you are treated better than the old gamexplain team," "Did the person get paid 1 dollar for this?" "Good work Tris. Here is one dollar for your good work this hour." "Andre's response is also lagging!" "Thanks for the video, now get back to crunching an earning less than you should."

SirShorse

Jul 16, 2020
Andre been real quiet on Twitter the past few days, he's usually really active. I'd like a response to get everyone's side.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
The longer this allows to gestate without Andre addressing it the worst it'll be for his channel. It's already starting to hit their videos. Just looked at the comments in the new video. We got "Tris, I hope you are treated better than the old gamexplain team," "Did the person get paid 1 dollar for this?" "Good work Tris. Here is one dollar for your good work this hour." "Andre's response is also lagging!" "Thanks for the video, now get back to crunching an earning less than you should."
I agree. I've been a GX fan from back when it was just Andre, Derrick, and occasionally Tom, but this is super disappointing. He's probably working with a lawyer or whatever, but the longer he lets this go the worse it'll be.

Especially gross since he has publicly advocated against crunch and for fair distribution of profits in the gaming industry.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I'm most angered by the hypocrisy since Andre was such an appreciated liberal voice in the gaming media sphere leading up to the election. You can't in good faith call out others—no matter how much they deserve it—while simultaneously enacting economic oppression on your own dedicated and extremely talented group of employees.

AndreGX - where's your response?

People really need to stop abusing the tag function to call users out. It's only going to lead to harassment and it's not going to get people to respond faster.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
This silence is pretty deafening.

Sucks to learn the GX team were being exploited like this, and for so little money. Glad this has come to light but upsetting it went on for so long.

Oct 25, 2017
People really need to stop abusing the tag function to call users out. It's only going to lead to harassment and it's not going to get people to respond faster.
It's a mighty fine reach to call my post an abuse of the tag function or an incitement for harassment. Public pressure is one of the few tools available for accountability in situations like this.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018

They started in a down period for nintendo news, and there wasnt much while theye are up and running.
The GX discussions where big, bit they usually had big topics. But whats there to talk about in gaming currently?
So its just a nice nerd podcast, but those are a dime a dozent on youtube.

Classic content? eh, done to death. I wish them the best in getting some semi regular series on the channel that can help them grow.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
I agree. I've been a GX fan from back when it was just Andre, Derrick, and occasionally Tom, but this is super disappointing. He's probably working with a lawyer or whatever, but the longer he lets this go the worse it'll be.

Especially gross since he has publicly advocated against crunch and for fair distribution of profits in the gaming industry.
I'm right there with you. I found them during the Discussions for Smash 4, I think. What a sad state of affairs. There was nothing quite like a good analysis video from them. Now this just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I'm still subbed but I'm starting not to see a way that I could justify supporting the channel even if Andre responds.

Also, stop tagging him. He's been tagged enough. He knows the shitstorm is there. He'll respond soon enough.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
This is so disappointing. I've been following GX for so long now, and I really thought (/hoped) that he was a class act.

TheCongressman Handicapped Duck QuixoticNeutral and anyone else who mentions me in this thread:

I'm gonna check out now since I think I've said more than enough (mainly out of frustration and disappointment) but I'm extremely grateful for everyone's support and I'll never be the same after this. Thank you all.
I loved the stuff you put out. Clearly so much time and passion went into those videos, and it's so shitty to find out you got treated the way you did in return. I wish you all the best.

Oct 25, 2017
Bullshit.

they also do a lot of live streams on YouTube. You can donate and subscribe(pay) each month on top of the views. So they would be making money from that as well. Who knows how much more they were making.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Damn this sucks. Don't watch the channel as much as I used to but still....

Andre should make a statement soon.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't think of any review channels, but there's people like Nin10doland and Switch Stop that are pretty okay.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Nintendo Life and NateTheHate are pretty great as well.

Nintendo Life is genuinely great, totally agreed on that. Not sure what you mean by NateTheHate, that's just podcasts and discussion, mostly. Unless he has another channel?