• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CrimsonDawn

May 29, 2018

This is gonna make it all a bit more mainstream. I've seen a number of notable journalists and people in the industry (like Cory Barlog) retweet and comment on it already.

This quote was particularly awful to read:
Bowling, for example, was working a full-time job while contributing to GameXplain on the side, and Segers would ask him to schedule lunch breaks so that he'd drive home and make a video for GameXplain during it.

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
So someone on reddit posted Andre's alternate Twitter

edit-deleted

Not super sure why this should be shared now? The only thing here even remotely relevant is the part about how analyses are draining. But, like, some of these just seem like genuine depressive thoughts and idk about those being made open here. Like yeah he sucks as a boss but that doesn't mean his mental wellbeing is now free real estate to speculate about

Last edited:

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Not super sure why this should be shared now? The only thing here even remotely relevant is the part about how analyses are draining. But, like, some of these just seem like genuine depressive thoughts and idk about those being made open here. Like yeah he sucks as a boss but that doesn't mean his mental wellbeing is now free real estate to speculate about
I think they probably posted it mostly from that analysis part, and maybe the Reggie thing. I'll delete the link though. I agree about that.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Might be worth editing your post for the same reason.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Wait, current staff are trying to discredit GVG's statements? WTF?

The GVG staff have handled themselves with nothing but class and professionalism thus far.

They shared their truth, while not wishing ill-will on their former employer. I can't say in the same situation I would have been as classy after being treated like they were.

GX responses to this are on brand based on the stories

Jan 11, 2018
The GVG staff have handled themselves with nothing but class and professionalism thus far.

They shared their truth, while not wishing ill-will on their former employer. I can't say in the same situation I would have been as classy after being treated like they were.

GX responses to this are on brand based on the stories

For sure. Mad respect to them for showing restraint and taking the high road.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Jan 11, 2018
Not sure I know who that is, but the person is Joey? I don't really know the new staff aside from names.

Oh ok, I only knew of Chris and Tris as far as the new staffers. Tom has been there the longest, even before Derrick I believe, but wasn't as visible.

Joey blocked Steve's Wife for liking a few tweets which were critical of his statement about Andre which in a way may have been interpreted as he downplayed the experience that Derrick, Ash, Steve and the rest went through at GX with Andre

Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up!

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Hopefully the new people are starting to find new work. The GX ship is starting to sink with this story now starting to get some coverage. I wonder if they'll start getting less review codes.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
All Andre had to do was not close down the reddit posts, and do a "sincere" apology and things would at least be better off than now.

Alooful

One Winged Slayer
Mar 27, 2020
In that Vice article, it's reported that Andre didn't make Steve rush that FFVII but didn't stop him either.

Do we know if Andre knew he was doing that?

CrimsonDawn

May 29, 2018
In that Vice article, it's reported that Andre didn't make Steve rush that FFVII but didn't stop him either.

Do we know if Andre knew he was doing that?
On the subreddit, Ashley said that Andre told Steve that if didn't have it up by embargo, there was no point in doing it at all. Here's the full post:

Steve was in contact with Andre during the review period. Andre kept in contact via discord in the group chat and additionally would DM Steve whenever he was working on anything for updates if Steve didn't respond in the group. After Steve had a shower and sat down to write the review, get the footage and audio up, the video put together etc. Andre was on the other side of the computer making sure they got it done. They got it up with like no time to spare before embargo. GX tweeted it out just after 3am our time. Steve's retweet here.

Steve had to work hard to get the copy of ff7r. There were multiple emails to many people in addition to lengthy phone calls. I don't remember how long it went on. Maybe a week? GX was, to the devs, an "influencer" site. They were not recognized as a gaming news outlet. Steve had to get the GX website back up and running in order to get the copy. Once it was up, they were cleared.

A review in progress would have been great, but per Andre, if it didn't go up by embargo, there was no point in doing it at all. It took Steve so much work to get he review copy, he was already invested and yes, wanted to get something up to to reflect the work he put in. He cared about the success of the channel because he truly thought if he busted his ass, his "friend" would see it and agree to a pay raise. He didn't.

This is exactly why Joey's statement pissed me off. Andre let you have more time? Great. But the long time employees who just left frequently weren't afforded that. They were guilted by a friend and told their time put in wouldn't matter if it wasn't done by embargo. You want to put out a statement? Great. Do it at an appropriate time, not right after the "sorry not sorry" from Andre with a message trying to dismiss what they went though by saying "well he's the best boss I've ever had" after three months of employment. What a big fuck you to the old crew.

Oct 25, 2017
This is something I haven't seen brought up much, but the unsung heroes of this story are without a doubt the wives. They seem like such badass pillars of their respective relationships, and I'm sure it's not lost on the GVG crew how lucky they are. Mad respect to those ladies.

Also I've had some drinks and I really want to just go into how disappointed and disgusted I am in the depth of Andre's depravity, but I know that won't contribute anything worthwhile.

I will say, though, that Derrick has the most wholesome voice I've maybe ever heard, and I didn't know who on the GX crew had that ridiculously sweet way of expressing themselves until this whole saga. But goshdarn if I wouldn't love to have the ability to call Derrick and have him reassure me IT WILL ALL BE OKAY whenever I'm feeling down!

Last edited:

SirShorse

Jul 16, 2020
Someone responded to Joey's twitlonger tweet basically saying "Hey it's great to hear he's been good to you, it doesn't disprove or excuse what happened in the past." Instead of touching that subject Joey just straight up says: "Andre has treated me better than any boss I've ever had. Period." Like what an asshole thing to say

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Unfortunate that it took this long but it is a much better statement. Sounds like an issue of the Peter Principle where the channel rose to the point beyond where Andre could competently run it, and everyone suffered for it. And he finally accepts some responsibility & ultimately apologizes in this one (even if it comes across as weak still imo). Certainly doesn't excuse his actions, but hopefully those affected will at least feel like their grievances were acknowledged rather than hand-waved like the first statement kind of felt like.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020

This should've been his statement yesterday. It's not perfect, but it's "good enough."

I wonder if the statement yesterday was because of Klepek. He hadn't really put down into words how he was thinking but he wanted to give Klepek something. I don't know. At the end of the day this story is done. People will do as they please in accordance with their morals I guess. I doubt I'll go back to Gamexplain. The stuff with Jon and Derrick is just a bit much. Especially Derrick.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
A longer response from Andre:

This is without a doubt a better apology statement. He should have never sent the first one out and just sent out this instead when he could put it out. Time will tell if his words mean anything more than just words. Also the news of trying to get people to release statement of support and the no pay for a couple months with constant reminders doesnt really help.

I still feel there should be some type of lump sum payment given back to the former GX members. Unless the GX channel supporting the GVG Patreon is some way of repayment back to them

Last edited:

Alooful

One Winged Slayer
Mar 27, 2020
Andre didn't handle it well (as we've all gone over) but in all fairness he did not make Steve work those crazy hours for the FFVII review. Steve also expected extra compensation that wasn't agreed upon with Andre either. If Andre says the optics don't make a late FFVII review worth than the investment - well it's possible that's just the truth. In my job at least, statements like this are made sometimes and it's not personal.

Just hope that if anyone's in a position like Steve's, they don't put themselves through 2 all nighters when they don't have to. Or they discuss compensation they can receive from their boss for doing that, before they actually do that (say, maybe a rest day or 2 after the video is posted, idk how flexible Gamexplain work life is).

I have friends like Steve who work super long hours voluntarily and they suffer unnecessarily, and am used to encouraging them to talk to their boss or stop working so much.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Glad Andre' is taking steps to meet bare minimum requirements, like setting up a payroll service to automate payments to his employees. I get where he's coming from though in a sense. He's a gamer... not an entrepreneur, and probably had no intention of running his own business. But, his youtube channel took off and he needed staff, so he tried to do the clerical and accounting work himself, and failed in several aspects. I hope his words are true, and his new staff is benefiting from his hard lessons learned in running a business.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Andre didn't handle it well (as we've all gone over) but in all fairness he did not make Steve work those crazy hours for the FFVII review. Steve also expected extra compensation that wasn't agreed upon with Andre either. If Andre says the optics don't make a late FFVII review worth than the investment - well it's possible that's just the truth. In my job at least, statements like this are made sometimes and it's not personal.

Just hope that if anyone's in a position like Steve's, they don't put themselves through 2 all nighters when they don't have to. Or they discuss compensation they can receive from their boss for doing that, before they actually do that (say, maybe a rest day or 2 after the video is posted, idk how flexible Gamexplain work life is).

I have friends like Steve who work super long hours voluntarily and they suffer unnecessarily, and am used to encouraging them to talk to their boss or stop working so much.

Glad Andre' is taking steps to meet bare minimum requirements, like setting up a payroll service to automate payments to his employees. I get where he's coming from though in a sense. He's a gamer... not an entrepreneur, and probably had no intention of running his own business. But, his youtube channel took off and he needed staff, so he tried to do the clerical and accounting work himself, and failed in several aspects. I hope his words are true, and his new staff is benefiting from his hard lessons learned in running a business.

Before you completely let Andre off the hook, just remember that people worked for him for months and months and were never paid for it. I noticed that Andre didn't bother to mention that part in his apology.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm sympathetic to the distress the criticism and backlash Andre has faced this week has caused him, but the wording in that statement is gaslighting 101, implying that he is the one being attacked by his former employees whilst dismissing the validity and truth of the specific pay issues they raise.

He offers up various hypothetical possibilities as to why they considered the pay to be '$1 to $2' an hour, positing various 'maybes'. I have witnessed this behaviour personally - it is manipulative gaslighting and indicative of narcissistic personality disorder.

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
Unfortunate that it took this long but it is a much better statement. Sounds like an issue of the Peter Principle where the channel rose to the point beyond where Andre could competently run it, and everyone suffered for it. And he finally accepts some responsibility & ultimately apologizes in this one (even if it comes across as weak still imo). Certainly doesn't excuse his actions, but hopefully those affected will at least feel like their grievances were acknowledged rather than hand-waved like the first statement kind of felt like.

Been following this thread since the beginning and these are exactly my thoughts as well. If Andre is stressed about deadlines and such and as forgetful as he says he is, then he needs someone else on board to help him some of the higher level decision making.

The fact that everyone down to the Discord mods had to get approval from him for even the smallest things leads me to believe that he has his hands in too many pies, and doesn't want to offload some of this work because it's "his" channel and brand. And to be fair, it is, but (and this is all just my speculation) his refusal to just let someone other than him make decisions is doing/did far more harm than good.

Alooful

One Winged Slayer
Mar 27, 2020
I still feel their should be some type of lump sum payment given back to the former GX members. Unless the GX channel supporting the GVG Patreon is some way of repayment

In salaried jobs you don't get paid by the hour, so there's no obligation for this to happen. Good companies will usually take extra hours worked into account though when giving out raises or holiday bonuses.