• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Derrick's statement - just wow.
I feel so bad for the guys because I was a podcast listener and always had the feeling that something was off, but they were so professional about so I thought I was just imagining things.

At this point I'm only waiting for Ash's statement because I'm not expecting anything from Andre. This has been a long time coming and he had months to address the situation or prevent this outcome.
Reading Derrick's statement and then remembering how often they would talk about Andre taking constant trips to Disneyland in the Real Talk podcast really puts it all into perspective.

I hope the new crew and Tom are doing okay.
Yeah....the signs were all there.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
This is worse than I imagined. Seems like Andre's job was micromanaging the team at GX who did the actual work and he's bad at it , extremely controlling and jealous of their time away from GX.

I was so happy for them when they hit 1m subs a few years back. It felt like they were friends doing this youtube thing, but it was all a lie.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
That's genuinely upsetting. Andre what what the fuck.

It feels like shit to support him now.

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
I am so sorry Derrick. You did not deserve all of this. I am so glad you are a lot more happy now. I am so glad you are out of that toxic environment.

Andre. What the literal fuck.

It seems like most of the crew was honestly saved by the partners. Honestly, Steve's Wife is so brave for putting this forward. Props to Aimee for letting Derrick thrive in his own space. She has honestly changed helped Derrick change for the better. He looks so much healthier.
They both are so much happier than their past situations, hope this gives them a good follower bump for their family. I know I subbed and am watching!

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Getting mayor Trump vibes from that Loyalty talk in Derrick's Statement - disgusting. Dude been killing himself providing GX with non stop updates and been essential to the growth of the channel...and you question his loyalty while he is about to become a father and covid going on ?
Here is some more context I saw based on what Ashley (Steve's wife) said on the subreddit when asked about it:
Yet Steve was kinda pissed for a couple days. Makes sense considering the context he was earning next to nothing for the content he produced yet the one free thing provided, his well off boss claimed for himself as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Here is some more context I saw based on what Ashley (Steve's wife) said on the subreddit when asked about it:
For some reason, this phone incident strikes me as the cruelest part of the whole story (though the non-compete clause is up there too).

It's just so flippantly greedy. Like Scrooge gleefully plucking a winning scratch-off ticket from the hands of an underpaid worker just because he had it in his possession while on company property his own personal Twitter account.

So glad the old GX crew is onto bigger and brighter things. I really feel for the new hires, though. If GX survives this storm I'll only be happy for their sake... but it might be smart for them to start considering backup job plans a lot sooner than they were probably expecting (even if only because they now know how flimsy and unappealing their long-term career path with the company will likely be)

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, Derrick's statement really sheds some light on this whole situation. Really too bad Andre got a taste of the good life and wasn't willing to share. Capitalism is a hell of a drug.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
The phone thing doesn't make sense at all. I guess MS posted it to their business address being Andre's place and he wouldn't give it back?

CrimsonDawn

May 29, 2018
The phone thing doesn't make sense at all. I guess MS posted it to their business address being Andre's place and he wouldn't give it back?
It was sent to Steve, he actually did an unboxing of the phone on the channel. It was part of promoting GamePass I believe. It seems like Andre wanted it and had Steve send it to him afterwards.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
This really shows the level of cognitive dissonance that can occur between people's stated political beliefs and their own actions. Some people are such hypocrites...

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I always found it weird that Derrick's Metroid movie pitch wasn't uploaded onto GameXplain's channel. Maybe Andre had something to do with that

CrimsonDawn

May 29, 2018
For some reason, this phone incident strikes me as the cruelest part of the whole story (though the non-compete clause is up there too).

It's just so flippantly greedy. Like Scrooge gleefully plucking a winning scratch-off ticket from the hands of an underpaid worker just because he had it in his possession while on company property his own personal Twitter account.

So glad the old GX crew is onto bigger and brighter things. I really feel for the new hires, though. If GX survives this storm I'll only be happy for their sake... but it might be smart for them to start considering backup job plans a lot sooner than they were probably expecting (even if only because they now know how flimsy and unappealing their long-term career path with the company will likely be)
The new hires are probably in a tough spot. Even if they decided to move on and consider backup jobs, they probably had to agree to the non-compete clause.

Last edited:

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
Live footage of Andre working in his statement:

9d1.gif

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Man all of this is just making it evident how much the success of GX was built on Derrick, Ash, Steve, and Jon. The fact they were barely compensated well and had other weird management moments and still gave their all to the channel speaks to another level of their passion. Then there's the fact they still insist to not disown the GX crew and still with them luck in the future despite having rough working conditions only prove they're all class acts especially compared to Andre.

I just feel bad for everyone involved especially the new GX crew. Here's hoping Andre can get his head out of his ass and get to making GameXplain a more inviting place to work at. No reason anyone especially the people giving their all for the sake of the channel should get shoddy treatment. Surely maintaining the integrity of the channel and your workers is more important than constant trips to Disneyland. Mental

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The new hires are probably in a tough spot. Even if they decided to move on and consider backup jobs, they probably had to agree to the non-complete clause.
I doubt the clause would hold up in court, to my knowledge similar clauses have already had a precedent of being struck down, and the merit of such a clause is even more absurd in the context of this industry. Of course it's still a super scummy practice and feels like one of those things people include even if they know they won't pass legal muster because the people on the recieving end won't necessarily know that and there's no punishment for trying

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt the clause would hold up in court, to my knowledge similar clauses have already had a precedent of being struck down, and the merit of such a clause is even more absurd in the context of this industry. Of course it's still a super scummy practice and feels like one of those things people include even if they know they won't pass legal muster because the people on the recieving end won't necessarily know that and there's no punishment for trying
Yeah a non compete is only really a thing in specific instances where you can bring knowledge or ideas from an old job straight to the competition. It can be an actual thing, but in this case the idea of it is pretty laughable

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Andre always came across as a manipulative and narcissistic control freak, but bloody hell.

It was always whiplash for me watching and listening to GameXplain because his vibe was completely at odds with the relaxed, upfront, and open nature of the other members of the team, who have always been a joy to listen to.

There was a clear uncomfortable and unspoken hierarchy and the conversations never felt on an equal footing. I always wondered why Andre had to maintain leadership and control over the operation rather than it feeling more like a team of partners. The answer became increasingly apparent, but I'm glad GVG seems to be exactly that - a relaxed, open partnership. Looking forward to finding time for their content soon. Kudos, guys.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah a non compete is only really a thing in specific instances where you can bring knowledge or ideas from an old job straight to the competition. It can be an actual thing, but in this case the idea of it is pretty laughable
Looking it up it varies by state with some states regularly enforcing them and some like California where they're almost never enforcable. Not sure how this'd apply to an online business like Gamexplain though (like would it be the laws of where Andre lives, where the company pays taxes in, where the employee works?)

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The phone thing was clearly a personal gift to Steve that Andre then demanded under the false argument that it was actually given to the company. Super petty.
It 100% wasn't a personal gift. MS would never do that, it would be an ethical nightmare. It was just a device to test and produce content for Game Pass streaming. Still super shitty for Andre to take it, would have been a nice little perk of the job.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
It 100% wasn't a personal gift. MS would never do that, it would be an ethical nightmare. It was just a device to test and produce content for Game Pass streaming. Still super shitty for Andre to take it, would have been a nice little perk of the job.
Yeah that's true. In any case it sounds like it was sent to Steve. No reason he shouldn't have been allowed to keep it for work purposes.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Wow, those statements. I've loved GX for years and hate to see this. I miss having everyone together, but after reading this I'm glad Derrick, Jon, Ash, and Steve are off the hook and enjoying what they're doing.

nodakel

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I've been following this thread, and wow, it is really damning to read everything about this. Sounds like it was an absolute nightmare working on the channel. Can't believe some of the stuff Andre was trying to pull; I don't see how there can be any explanations for his antics.

Thank you all for speaking out, and I am sorry you all had to work under such rough conditions. You are all class acts!

Really glad Ash, Derrick, and Steve started Good Vibes Gaming (and thanks to Jon for being so generous with donating the channel to a good cause). It's a treat to have TNT on in the background while doing other tasks. If you haven't checked the channel out, you absolutely should. The future is bright for GVG!

Last edited:

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
I'm curious what Ash's statement will entail. I have to wonder if Ash and Andre had issues about creative differences. Ash seemed to always want to do "different" things but never really did. Maybe not allowed or determined it wasn't worth the pay. I don't know. Just speculating, which probably isn't a good thing. But now all of the little things that stood out are creeping back in lol. I used to notice things that seemed off, but I figured that these were grown adults who were friends so it's fine.

Little did I know these little things were not in fact little. They were signs of a bigger and cultural issue within the company itself. Like everyone knew Andre did less work than Derrick. Everyone knows Derrick was treated a bit harshly especially when it came to E3. We also knew that Andre just found ways out of podcasts. Kind of wondering if all of those times he was "busy" working on a project or something was a lie. It seems like that now lol.

For me, I can't watch GX if Andre is associated with it. I like a couple of the new guys, but if me viewing their content is in any way awarding shit behavior...I'm out. I'm so exhausted with supporting content that award crap people/bad behavior. It is very much like buying a game from like Ubisoft or CD Projekt. People internally debate whether or not they want to support the hard work of the employees vs awarding the evil of their superiors. This past year, I decided I can't award the bad behavior anymore. It's why I canceled preorders for Ubisoft games, and trust me I looked forward to Assassin's Creed. I had just gotten back into the series, so I was super hyped. Supporting the hard workers is just not doing it for me and it's not doing it for society either. The new employees need to check the analytics, talk to each other about what each are making, bounce that shit off with other people in their life and actually truly understand if they are satisfied. Derrick and Steve didn't put it all together until those who actually cared for them told them the raw truth.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can tell you he most likely won't release a statement now. Nothing can change at this point . Thanks for making the wiiu gen fun GameXplain but gvg you will be my new go to on youtube

Brandon's Statement

Steve

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Parts Unknown
Hey everyone, Brandon Miracle asked that I post his story, as his Era account is awaiting approval from the mods.

For those of you that don't know, I met Brandon at E3 2019 at a GX fan meetup. Since then I've become friends with him and partnered with him on some projects for both GX and GVG.

Anyway, this isn't my statement to make, so without further ado, here's Brandon:

Brandon's Statement said:
I worked freelance for GameXplain for the majority of 2020. It started with the 10th Anniversary of GameXplain video. I was elated to be asked to work with my favorite YouTube channel of all time. Unfortunately my experience wasn't what I hoped for.

I put maybe 15-20 hours into that video and (me being new to freelance) we settled on $150. I was so excited by the opportunity that I let the low ball slide. This set an unfortunate precedent.

Later on in the year I was offered the opportunity to edit every episode of Game Club. This was some of the most stressful work I had to do for GameXplain and I asked for a pittance of $65 per video. I value myself higher than this now but I believe Andre could have stepped in and told me I was low balling myself. But he didn't. With future projects I started sending invoices with what I believe I was owed to no contest from Andre.

Now most of you probably don't know I was even involved with GameXplain for as long as I was. That's because Andre made little to no effort to give me credit of any kind. The most blatant instance was when he asked me to edit the Super Mario 3D All Stars review.

I worked the entirety of the night up until 45 minutes before the embargo to get that video done. Andre's Twitter made it sound like he worked through the night when it was me. He didn't finish writing his review until that evening putting me into a corner and allowing him to coast through that night while I worked. I was furious. At this point I decided I was going to walk away. I was making no strides in my career because nobody knew I was doing the work. Steve thankfully would edit Andre's descriptions and add credits for me or tag me on Twitter himself.

After completing what was supposed to be my last video, Andre asked me if I would work on another video. I told him I likely wouldn't have the time to do it and his response upset me. He made it sound like it wasn't a ton of work. If it wasn't, why didn't he do it? What did he do all day? I still don't know. I accepted the work, disgruntled, and that was the end of my time at GameXplain. I wanted to be done with it.

During this entire experience I was one of the candidates to be hired for GameXplain. Andre knowingly used this to pressure me into more work for little money. I found out I didn't get the job before deciding to leave because Steve was kind enough to let me know. I didn't hear this from Andre himself until mere days before the new hires were announced. And I know for a fact it was decided I wouldn't be hired quite some time prior. I've never felt more used and taken advantage of in my life. It hurt me on a deep level and I still struggle with it.

That said, I have immense respect for Tom, Tris, Chris, and Joey and wish them all the success in the world! Please don't harass or direct hate at Andre, or anyone else at GameXplain. Thank you.

For now, I've been helping out with Good Vibes Gaming and I've had an incredible time. I feel like I belong and that I'm treated with the respect I deserve. I love these guys and am so happy that they're doing GVG.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
It's a shame 'cause I actually really like Tris but man, I had to cancel my Patreon pledge.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, Brandon Miracle asked that I post his story, as his Era account is awaiting approval from the mods.

For those of you that don't know, I met Brandon at E3 2019 at a GX fan meetup. Since then I've become friends with him and partnered with him on some projects for both GX and GVG.

Anyway, this isn't my statement to make, so without further ado, here's Brandon:
Wow, it gets worse and worse.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8

It just doesn't stop coming

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Glad the original team is better off at GVG. And hopefully the new team at GX is compensated fairly for their work.

Andre sure has been taking long to reply, and knowing what happened I cannot stay subbed to GX. Hopefully some good comes out of having this out in the open.

CrimsonDawn

May 29, 2018

I'm not too familiar with how freelance pay works, so what would have been a reasonable pay for those kinds of jobs?

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018

Hi Steve thank you for the viewpoint of Brandon.

I like all the new hires at GX, but I have a lot of trouble supporting Andre if the style of him being the boss and how he managed is still there.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Reading the statements just now, I'm in utter disbelief! By this point I had already unsubscribed from GX; Andre's lack of a response has made it uneasy for me to continue to do so. I'm definitely hoping for the best for the new team.

Nov 17, 2017
From Derrick's statement, it sounds like Andre realized how valuable Derrick was to the channel but instead of rewarding him for his value, he looked for ways to exploit and control it. Like that non-compete clause and trying to stop him from doing his own things outside of GX is just... like you either value someone or you don't.

I hope it doesn't sound too petty but Andre was easily the least likable member of GX - it was really Derrick and Ash (and whoever joined after) who were the likable personalities on the channel. I get the impression that Andre knew that and leveraged them to that effect (plus just for the workload). But it seems really foolish to mistreat people that valuable to you if you rely so much on them and want to keep them around... I guess greed trumps all.

"Stay subscribed to GameXplain"... after reading the statement from Derrick, how am I supposed to do that? lol That's awful.
Right? Like I get that Derrick is just trying not to be vindictive but like, how could you stay subbed to GX after hearing all of that?

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Even the GameXplain Discord isn't having this incorrigible treatment, so Andre will have to make a statement eventually.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
The fact that folks are consistently saying to not direct ire towards Andre after the flood of testimonials we keep getting is striking. I'm not sure if he has earned that kindness.

Deleted member 70647

User requested account closure
Banned
May 31, 2020
Can someone showcase this new info on Twitter? I feel like it needs to get out there more, I don't want Andre walking away from this with minimal repercussion.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The fact that folks are consistently saying to not direct ire towards Andre after the flood of testimonials we keep getting is striking. I'm not sure if he has earned that kindness.

I have to wonder if there are legal reasons or if people are just taking preventative measures against harassment? Because, uh, he certainly seems worthy of ire.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I think harassment is generally wrong and I don't think anyone should be doing stuff like death threats or hounding him on social media constantly, neither is productive or helpful, but I definitely think given what's going on we should be encouraging people to stop watching/subscribing to GameXplain. I get the concerns this might hurt the other staff there, but frankly given what's been said I feel like staying on with GameXplain in the long run is probably not worth it for them either

Starkiller

Jan 30, 2018
What has Andre been doing all day given that he assigns way too much work to Brandon, Derrick, etc., underpays them, and doesn't really narrate any videos that are released on GX?

Oct 27, 2017

It's not really a "kindness" not to harass someone. That's just the default. If you want to make sure you're not supporting unfair labor practices, don't buy the product.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have to wonder if there are legal reasons or if people are just taking preventative measures against harassment? Because, uh, he certainly seems worthy of ire.
Could also be hedging bets in terms of not hurting their chances of getting employment with other outlets if GVG doesn't end up working out for them