• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.buzzfeednews.com

Former Employees Say Ellen’s “Be Kind” Talk Show Mantra Masks A Toxic Work Culture

“If [Ellen] wants to have her own show and have her name on the show title, she needs to be more involved to see what's going on,” one former employee said.
Ellen DeGeneres has built her worldwide, multimillion-dollar brand on the motto "be kind," with lavish giveaways and acts of charity. But behind the scenes, current and former employees on her leading daytime show say they faced racism, fear, and intimidation.

"That 'be kind' bullshit only happens when the cameras are on. It's all for show," one former employee told BuzzFeed News. "I know they give money to people and help them out, but it's for show."

BuzzFeed News spoke to one current and 10 former employees on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, all of whom asked to remain anonymous, fearing retribution from the award-winning NBC daytime talk show and others in the entertainment industry. They said they were fired after taking medical leave or bereavement days to attend family funerals. One employee, who claims she was fed up with comments about her race, essentially walked off the job. Others said they were also instructed by their direct managers to not speak to DeGeneres if they saw her around the office.

Most of the former employees blamed executive producers and other senior managers for the day-to-day toxicity, but one former employee said that, ultimately, it's Ellen's name on the show and "she really needs to take more responsibility" for the workplace environment.
One black staffer's experience:
A Black woman who used to work on The Ellen DeGeneres Show told BuzzFeed News she experienced racist comments, actions, and "microaggressions" during her year and a half as an employee. She said when she was hired, a senior-level producer told her and another Black employee, "Oh wow, you both have box braids; I hope we don't get you confused." And at a work party, she said, one of the main writers told her, "I'm sorry, I only know the names of the white people who work here," and other coworkers "awkwardly laughed it off" instead of coming to her defense.

When the former employee brought up issues of race and representation on the show and asked producers not to use offensive terms like "spirit animal" in segments, her colleagues called her "the PC police."

When she started to speak up about the discrimination, she said, all of her colleagues distanced themselves from her.

"Whenever I brought up an issue to my white male boss, he would bring up some random story about some random Black friend that he had and how they managed to get over stuff," she said. "He would use his Black friend as some way to say, 'I understand your struggle.' But it was all performative bullshit."

After one year at Ellen, she said she asked for a raise after learning another recent hire made double for doing the same job, despite her having worked in the television industry for a decade. Her manager told her "they'd see what they could do," but months went by and nothing happened, she said.
On mental health:
After working on The Ellen DeGeneres Show for nearly a year, one former employee said they took medical leave for one month to check into a mental health facility for a suicide attempt. But the week they returned to work, they were told their position was being eliminated.

Another former employee said they were fired after an unexpectedly difficult year that required them to take time away from the job on three occasions: medical leave for three weeks after they were in a car accident, working remotely for two days to attend a family member's funeral, and then three days off to travel for another family member's funeral. Each request was a battle with supervisors and HR, they added.
A third former employee said they were given a warning for creating a GoFundMe campaign to raise money for medical costs that weren't covered by their company health insurance and then sharing it on social media.

Just 24 hours after posting the GoFundMe, they said, they were called into the department head's office and told to take it down because of concerns it might hurt DeGeneres's image.
The employees who spoke to BuzzFeed News said they worked in a culture dominated by fear. One of them said a general feeling among staffers was "if you have an issue, don't even think about bringing it up."

"I never felt like it was safe to go to my manager when I had issues — because this was the same person who would wait for me to go to the bathroom and then message me, asking me where I was and why I wasn't at my desk," one employee said.

"People focus on rumors about how Ellen is mean and everything like that, but that's not the problem. The issue is these three executive producers running the show who are in charge of all these people [and] who make the culture and are putting out this feeling of bullying and being mean," another former employee claimed. "They feel that everybody who works at The Ellen Show is lucky to work there — 'So if you have a problem, you should leave because we'll hire someone else because everybody wants to work here.'"
TL;DR: 10 staffers are speaking out about how terrible the work environment at Ellen is.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not that she doesn't deserve it but man it feels like this entire year has just been everyone just dunking on Ellen and exposing her for being an awful person. I swear I was hearing all this same stuff at the start of the year.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Not that she doesn't deserve it but man it feels like this entire year has just been everyone just dunking on Ellen and exposing her for being an awful person. I swear I was hearing all this same stuff at the start of the year.
She certainly has had enough rumors about her to justify some of this blame, but almost all of these interviewees are speaking about other people in charge being the main source of the issue.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, she was a terrible person before, and once she got her own show it seems like everybody forgot.

RAWcolour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Yeah this has been steeping for a while now. I wonder when will this going to bite her and have consequences. Feel like she has been getting away with this for too long.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
These aren't new things. She has been rumored to be a horrible person for years. Treating her employees like shit has been around a long time. The racist stuff is new I think but it's certainly not surprising given how she reportedly treats people.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not shocked at the fact that the Ellen Show is also a racist workplace in addition to a generally shitty one, but goddamn we keep getting the "generally shitty" stories and nothing happened, so maybe this'll do something. Fuck Ellen.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I remember seeing this story from people I knew from BC on Facebook years ago. Sad...

www.runnersworld.com

Ultra Run to Ellen DeGeneres Ends at Studio Lot

Curtis Hargrove ran 1,500 miles to deliver a custom blanket and raise awareness about nonprofit that helps sick children.

Eh, I can understand not wanting to accept as it sets a bad precedent. You want to meet Ellen and get on her show? Do something crazy to get her attention!

Still, everything I've heard about her paints her as terrible.

Absurdeity

Jun 2, 2018
Eh, I can understand not wanting to accept as it sets a bad precedent. You want to meet Ellen and get on her show? Do something crazy to get her attention!

Still, everything I've heard about her paints her as terrible.
Isn't that how people get on her show though?

They had those Damn Daniel guys on the show ffs

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
In the comments on that article I learned about this story from 13 years ago, when she adopted a dog and quickly gave it away to her hairstylist's daughters, breaking her contract in multiple ways. She went on her show, cried about it, and sicced her fans and legal team on the shelter.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
"I think it is a lot of smoke and mirrors when it comes to the show's brand," a former employee said. "They pull on people's heartstrings; they do know that's going to get likes and what people are going to go for, which is a positive message. But that's not always reality."
Which breeds a culture of fear. Fuck Ellen and those enabling assholes.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember how she would go on rants about Bernie and his supporters. I mean, you don't have to like Bernie but it's pretty obvious that she hates him because he was gonna raise her taxes. Also fuck those managers.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
It's been known for years she's trash. They don't call her Ellen DeGenerate for nothing.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
This has been known for yeeeeeeeeears, awful person to work for, it's like she relishes being shit to her people, strangely contemptuous

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
ellen-bush.jpg

Dec 31, 2017
"They feel that everybody who works at The Ellen Show is lucky to work there — 'So if you have a problem, you should leave because we'll hire someone else because everybody wants to work here.'"

This in general is a huge problem with work culture in the USA. Workers are considered disposable. Basic dignity is considered a luxury. Everything is a battle with HR, who are clearly there to protect the company. The examples given above of medical leave and family funerals should in no way be controversial reasons to take off of work. The problem is that the culture frowns upon it. Extremely toxic.

Last edited:

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Ugh, that sounds awful.

And at a work party, she said, one of the main writers told her, "I'm sorry, I only know the names of the white people who work here," and other coworkers "awkwardly laughed it off" instead of coming to her defense.

And I have no words for this. That's not a microaggression either. That's outright racist loathing.

"They feel that everybody who works at The Ellen Show is lucky to work there — 'So if you have a problem, you should leave because we'll hire someone else because everybody wants to work here.'"

This is a problem with working culture in general. It's horseshit designed to make you feel worthless (and accept a shit paycheck while working yourself to death).

Statik

alt account
Banned
Jul 17, 2020
Ellen showed love for Trayvon Martin and Mike Brown. She invited on her show and donated money to James Shaw Jr., a black man who took down a white supremacist mass murderer who killed multiple people at a Waffle House in Tennessee. She's done more to show her solidarity to black lives matter than anyone else in her orbit.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Ellen herself is not part of this investigation. I'm not sure if that's done in an effort by Warner to protect their asset or if she's really not involved.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Ellen showed love for Trayvon Martin and Mike Brown. She invited on her show and donated money to James Shaw Jr., a black man who took down a white supremacist mass murderer who killed multiple people at a Waffle House in Tennessee. She's done more to show her solidarity to black lives matter than anyone else in her orbit.

Um, so what?

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

How is that not invalidated by the obviously toxic and racist workplace culture that she's allowed to perpetuate?

Everything she does is a fucking ruse.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It might have been nothing more than to make herself look woke. And if the behind the scenes stuff is true, then it most certainly was just self serving to make her look good.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018

They do these for the brand, not for the goodness of her own heart. Is it too much to ask for her to show her staff the same kindness she tries to show to her audience?

If you had a nice looking apple, only to bite it and find it was filled with worms. Would you still eat it?

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A person who is friends with known war criminal George Bush perpetuates a toxic work environment? No surprise there.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
uuhhhh

And at a work party, she said, one of the main writers told her, "I'm sorry, I only know the names of the white people who work here," and other coworkers "awkwardly laughed it off" instead of coming to her defense.

Sounds like the work place sucks if you're black. She should clean up her staff if shes' really about BLM.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
There really is a problem here with messageboards when people can't even read the op.

This article is barely by Ellen. It's mostly about her management team.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has been known that Ellen and her top brass are assholes behind the scene even if they put on a good face to the public.