• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Quasi

Banned
Aug 24, 2021
www.theguardian.com

WTA suspends tournaments in China amid concern for Peng Shuai

The WTA has announced the suspension of its tournaments in China amid concerns about the safety of Peng Shuai

The WTA is suspending all tournaments in China.
Great to see them put human rights before money. The world needs more companies like this.
Very surprising but really good to see that there's at least one organisation with proper morals and principles when it comes to stuff like this.

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
WTA tournaments in China were going to be canned for the foreseeable future anyhow because of China's zero-COVID protocol. Before the Peng Shuai case all tournaments in China had been cancelled, it's a continuation of 2021 policy.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
WTA tournaments in China were going to be canned for the foreseeable future anyhow because of China's zero-COVID protocol. Before the Peng Shuai case all tournaments in China had been cancelled, it's a continuation of 2021 policy.

If China has a zero covid policy that would cancel all WTA tournaments next year, then why are they still planning on hosting the Olympic Games in February?

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
If China has a zero covid policy that would cancel all WTA tournaments next year, then why are they still planning on hosting the Olympic Games in February?

Interesting point about the zero tolerance plus Olympic games with Omicron now emerging. If it is as transmissable as feared, then it is going to be raging world wide by that time.

OP
OP
Ceerious

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian

Before this, WTA and China had been tried to cooperate to bring back tournaments in 2022.

Report from China, last July:

百度安全验证

Steve Simon said: "We look forward to the return of all events in 2022."

Wuhan Tennis Open organizing committee(China official) said: "We look forward to the Wuhan open in 2022 and continue to present wonderful games for you."

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
Before this, WTA and China had been tried to cooperate to bring back tournaments in 2022.

Report from China, last July:

百度安全验证

Steve Simon said: "We look forward to the return of all events in 2022."

Wuhan Tennis Open organizing committee(China official) said: "We look forward to the Wuhan open in 2022 and continue to present wonderful games for you."
I stand corrected.

Peng Shuai retracts sexual assault claims

Deleted member 48201

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2018
Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai has denied that she had accused a former senior official of having sexually assaulted her, in what is believed to be the first foreign press interview since her November essay caused a media storm.

"I wanted to make this very clear: I have never claimed, or written about anyone having sexually assaulted me," Peng said. "With regards to Weibo, it's about my personal privacy ... There's been a lot of misunderstanding … There [should be] no distorted interpretation."

The claim apparently contradicted a 2 November social media post, in which Peng accused the former vice premier Zhang Gaoli of having coerced her into sex.

In Sunday's interview, Peng also answered the Singaporean newspaper's question about her email response to the WTA's CEO, Steve Simon, last month. She confirmed that the Chinese version of the email to Simon was written by her, but said the one published by CGTN, the state-owned English-language broadcaster, was a translation because her level of English was not sufficient.

"But they more or less said the same thing," She said, adding that her email response to Simon was "entirely on my own volition", and that she has been living freely. "Why would there be people following me?" she rebutted, when asked whether the authorities had put her under surveillance.

"The news in that release, including the allegation of sexual assault, is not true," that letter said. "I'm not missing, nor am I unsafe. I've just been resting at home and everything is fine. Thank you again for caring about me."

www.theguardian.com

Peng Shuai retracts sexual assault claims as fears over wellbeing persist

Claim contradicts Chinese tennis player’s social media post in which she accused senior party figure of coercing her into sex

Makes you wonder what they've done to her.

Last edited:

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Has she attempted to claim her account was hacked or something? Maybe I've missed it, but what's the 'official' explanation for the original post?

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Look, it sucks that she retracted her statement, but if this keeps her alive and out of some hole, I will take it.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Has she attempted to claim her account was hacked or something? Maybe I've missed it, but what's the 'official' explanation for the original post?

Why would they need to officially explain a post that never officially happened?

If they erase something from history, that means it never happened.

Smithy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's disgusting. I'm not sure I even want to imagine what they did or how they pressured her to retract the statement.

Deleted member 48201

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2018
This is legitimately disgusting.
It truly is. The CCP is disgusting. It's like they took a history book and looked at all the awful things that happened in history and took it as an instruction instead of a warning.
Chinese government got what they wanted. Now she will really "disappear".
They will keep her around until the Olympic Games are over but after that all bets are off.

Last edited:

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
They are parading her around with Yao Ming and other notable Chinese athletes to convince the concerned international public she is fine and dandy. It's so transparent that It's cringe worthy. I don't think the CCP will be able to make her disappear as long as the WTA stays firm on their ban of Chinese tournaments, we'll always have a reminder of WHY the ban is in place. #FreePengShuai

less

Oct 25, 2017
What a shitty outcome but really no surprise. She had to cave and I don't blame her. In such a position almost everyone could cave to save their life.

No doubt this will be a firm warning to anyone similar that might want to make similar accusations in the future.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It truely is. The CCP is disgusting. It's like they took a history book and looked at all the awful things that happened in history and took it as an instruction instead of a warning.
I'm just glad that one of the more prominent tankies on this site was permabanned so we don't have to see quite so many people run interference on behalf of the CCP over and over again.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Hey, stay on topic. This ain't about y'alls and whatever drama you want to push.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They are parading her around with Yao Ming and other notable Chinese athletes to convince the concerned international public she is fine and dandy. It's so transparent that It's cringe worthy. I don't think the CCP will be able to make her disappear as long as the WTA stays firm on their ban of Chinese tournaments, we'll always have a reminder of WHY the ban is in place. #FreePengShuai
I didn't realize that Ming was such a stooge for the CCP. That's extremely disappointing.

OP
OP
Ceerious

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
www.theguardian.com

Peng Shuai retracts sexual assault claims as fears over wellbeing persist

Claim contradicts Chinese tennis player’s social media post in which she accused senior party figure of coercing her into sex

In the interview she "confirmed":
"She confirmed that the Chinese version of the email to Simon was written by her, but said the one published by CGTN, the state-owned English-language broadcaster, was a translation because her level of English was not sufficient."

Here's a video from 8 years ago.

youtu.be

Shuai Peng Interview

Shuai Peng advances to the second round of the Moorilla Hobart International after defeating top seed Su-Wei Hsieh.
timestamp 2:02

You can see when reporters asking questions in English, she answered them in English fluently. She definetly don't need anyone to translate her word to that dogshit-level English letter by CGTN.

Look, it sucks that she retracted her statement, but if this keeps her alive and out of some hole, I will take it.

Unfortunately this works splendid for CCP. They want everyone in the world to think this way: Yeah, at least she's alive. Their strategy intentionally reduces people's demands on human rights to the lowest level. It dealt huge blows to the human rights condition in China.

A political slogan they have repeated again and again since the outbreak of COV-19: "Survival is the greatest human right".

I didn't realize that Ming was such a stooge for the CCP. That's extremely disappointing.

Yao Ming in China is as powerless as Peng shuai. He was once elected as the chairman of the Chinese Basketball Association, but all his reform strategies were rejected. He was an international star, but for CCP he is just a convenient propaganda tool.

Last edited:

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yao Ming in China is as powerless as Peng shuai. He was once elected as the chairman of the Chinese Basketball Association, but all his reform strategies were rejected. He was an international star, but for CCP he is just a convenient propaganda tool.
It seems like he chose that though. He was a party member for a while and certainly had plenty of chances to move to any other country in the world if he had wanted to. Like Jackie Chan, I understand why he's so willing to tow the party line but that doesn't make it any less disappointing.

Quasi

Banned
Aug 24, 2021
I can only imagine what they've threatened her with to get her to this point.

And this is the country that gets to host the upcoming Olympics, and everyone is just happily gonna take part as though everything is fine. It's so fucked up.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
www.espn.com

Aussie fans asked to remove Peng Shuai T-shirts

Fans at the Australian Open were asked by security to remove T-shirts featuring the slogan "Where is Peng Shuai?" which references the ongoing uncertainty surrounding the Chinese former tennis player's well-being and whereabouts.