• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Do we have any insight into wage situation post Witcher 3?

Curious if it improved since then.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I love how it's "if this is your first gig you shouldn't be able to rent a place to live." Like SERIOUSLY

Nope but if it's your first gig, in a big city like Warsaw; you don't usually seek to live in a 50 square meters appartment for minimum wage.
(animators seem to be as screwed as Junior QA; when junior devs get 2x minimum and senior devs 3x minimum + bonus)

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Minimum wage is an employer saying "I would pay you less if I could". Fuck CD Project.
82056888.jpg

Nov 16, 2017
ready for the greatest hits of "Why didn't she quit and find another job?" and "She has Witcher 3 on her resume now, she should be grateful"

Absolutely fucking disgusting company CDPR is slowly unraveling to be. Don't give them your money. If you absolutely must play CP - buy it used.
Buying used has been my plan for months. It is looking more and more justified everyday.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Your Europe must does not consist of Balkans then.

Which Balkans, exactly? Because average salary in Romania, Croatia and Bulgaria is between 1300 and 2000 USD per month (yes I know it's 2020, but those salaries did not double or triple in the last 6 years). 450 USD is not great even in the Balkans, much less so in Poland. And even much less so for a prominent gaming studio animator, for Christ's sakes. What point are you making, exactly?

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
Guys this problem is not just CDPR!
Its S-E, its Ubisoft, its EA, its Bethesda ,its every single triple AAA company

I KNOW I ALMOST MADE THAT MISTAKE 3 years ago! Calculating how long I could live with my money saved up to work in the VG industry. I was almost ready to pay from my saved up money to work in the industry for a year in HOPES to make it in a position with better pay.

My situation was 99% better than most people that applied and I still said no.

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
So what you are saying its normal for the average polish person to work and not be able to afford their rent with one full time job.

Is this true?
Of course it's not normal, I'm just saying that unfortunately it happens everywhere. In what city can you actually rent a decent place on Minimum wage?

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To give you an example, the IATSE, the oldest and biggest union of technician, artisant and stage workers. You dont become a member instantly, its a process that still takes time.

Wage wise, back in 2014, one of their big fight (and still lost), was to raise minimum wage of cinema complex workers for cineplex who after 5 years of service was still nearly at minimum wage. 6 years later, the pay is still shit.

I'm not saying they are okay with it, i'm just saying that even with a union, the fight can still be lost for livable wages.

Unlike most construction union, that have WAY MORE political power. There is no minimum wages that have been set by the union. So if Poland minimum wage is 480$, then that's the standard. If with 5 years of service and you're still at minimum wage they might fight for you. But you better be a few hundred workers that they can represent.

Union still work under capitalism. They will work on project that will get them more money. Because they get a certain amount of % from each paycheck (thats how it works where I live). So they'll work with what's will get them more profit while representing more workers.

Sadly the avg life span in the entertainment industry is around 2.5y, because of the shit pay, sometimes a unreliable work hours (working 80+ for 3 months, and then 10h weeks for 2) and for dev work boring stuff like banks, engineering firms just pay so much more. So after burning out, they change field.

That's why starting a union is not that simple. You need man power, but the industry as way too much turnover. Higher up, Senior & lead position are already paid well and mostly give the crunch to underlings, so they don't need unions.
Thanks--I'm a non-union cam op/DP working in Texas. I guess the point I was getting at was, I don't know any union that would be okay with $450/month, since that's actually less than half what monthly minimum wage would be, nationally. But yeah, if a union doesn't have much power or mobilization, you're stuck with what they can get. I appreciate your response/insight.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Of course it's not normal, I'm just saying that unfortunately it happens everywhere. In what city can you actually rent a decent place on Minimum wage?
Certainly not in Paris ahahaha
My rent for my 9 square meters room was half the national minimum wage.

fun note: when my japanese relatives came to visit me... the first thing they said was : that's small !!!!

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
In all fairness, as someone who is half Polish, wages in Poland are simply quite poor. Obviously this seems shocking, but what about all the big companies that outsource work to China and whathave you? They are paid far less than the people in Poland.

Additionally, the cost of living is also far cheaper in Poland than in other countries. For instance the average rent for a city centre apartment today is 2,100 zl (this would be quite a bit lower in 2014), that's like £400. I wish I could live in the centre of my city in England, I'm rending an apartment outside of the city for £700. If you're renting in the city centre you'd be expected to have some kind of flat share, be living with a partner, or quite wealthy yourself.

With all of that said, the wage is quite poor. There's no good reason that CDPR should be paying their staff minimum wage, especially when they're clearly benefiting from the sales of their game across an international market. One would expect that CDPR should be able to give all of its employees a very healthy wage.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
With all of that said, the wage is quite poor. There's no good reason that CDPR should be paying their staff minimum wage, especially when they're clearly benefiting from the sales of their game across an international market. One would expect that CDPR should be able to give all of its employees a very healthy wage.

That was her wage in 2014, when TW 3 was still in development and CDPR was far from global company and financial powerhouse it's today.

I would love to know how wages there are now in 2020, are they still cutting it to be bone where ever they can?

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
what about all the big companies that outsource work to China and whathave you?

That's my biggest fear for the tech industry. More and more are outsourcing to Russia and China that has no wage regulation.
And they work really hard and well in hopes to get work Visa's to come to EU or NA. So the product doesn't actually diminish even if its outsourced.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Remembering those reports from people who were told working at Blizzard "should be thankful" or some such bullshit while being paid a pittance.

Seems CDPR has another reason it can fuck right off into the ocean.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
CRPR management comes off as consistently incompetent ghouls but hey they put out some 'free' DLC for The Witcher 3 that one time so I'm going to bury my head in the sand and attack the messenger instead.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
That was her wage in 2014, when TW 3 was still in development and CDPR was far from global company and financial powerhouse it's today.

I would love to know how wages there are now in 2020, are they still cutting it to be bone where ever they can?

Something that's weird is that on glass door it says that there are 65 salaries shared for CDPR on the website.

But if you go to view them, it says that there are none.

Seems odd. I know that in some circumstances the employer can legally demand the salaries or reviews be removed. It could just be a bug with the site, but I doubt that none of the 100+ reviewers would have left their salary. Most major games studios have a tonne of salaries listed.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They aren't the first and won't be the last to exploit the fact working on a game is a dream job for some

The only answer is to unionise

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Something that's weird is that on glass door it says that there are 65 salaries shared for CDPR on the website.

Seems odd. I know that in some circumstances the employer can legally demand the salaries or reviews be removed. It could just be a bug with the site, but I doubt that none of the 100+ reviewers would have left their salary. Most major games studios have a tonne of salaries listed.
they display for me.

wagesimage12rwjio.jpg

sadly it displayed the lower part as well; but i refreshed and they disapeared asking to register

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Try this: https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/CD-PROJEKT-RED-Warsaw-Salaries-EI_IE644250.0,14_IL.15,21_IM1114.htm

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
Not 1/3rd, but a huge difference nonetheless.

Stop. Comparing. The. American. Reality. To. Those. Of. Poorer. Countries.

2vM3qSr.png

I acknowledged the cost of living already. Considering that, while these cost of living differences are big they're not as big as the differences in wages, you've only added to my point that these wages are poor, even after factoring in cost of living differences.

I can't believe that people in here are defending the notion of paying talented and hardworking artists in scraps. It's disgusting.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Cheers. I don't why my glassdoor page wasn't working... I signed in too.

In any case, the salaries there align with what they were saying on twitter.

These seem like very poor salaries for junior roles and QA testers, and the hypothesis that this may have changed since CDProject's success with TW3 seems fairly unfounded.

The salaries listed for QA are especially poor.

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
Thanks--I'm a non-union cam op/DP working in Texas. I guess the point I was getting at was, I don't know any union that would be okay with $450/month, since that's actually less than half what monthly minimum wage would be, nationally. But yeah, if a union doesn't have much power or mobilization, you're stuck with what they can get. I appreciate your response/insight.

The strength of an union comes with its strength with the government. Which is one of the reason why, even with Union in the entertainment field, its still very hard for them to perform like a union in construction, or transportation. It's hard for them to gain government support so that these rules are followed and that companies respect them.

1 125 workers at the port in my city went on strike from August 10th to 23rd. It took 13 days to get it done. The effect that those 13 days had on the economy is still being felt today. Construction company are short on material because of those 13 days. The Union worked because there was pressure from the government side because the economy was so badly affected.

1000 Ubisoft employee stop working? Outside of maybe the restaurant and coffee shops around the studio will be affected, but beside that? There is no economic repercussion. So there little support from the government to put in rules and enforcing them.

Also government are also very good at fighting when it isn't their own money. Best example would be nursing union that have been fighting the government for years now.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What are you talking about? After all of my taxes *and* putting away fifteen percent of my post-tax paycheck away for investments, the percentage of income that rent takes up closer to 20% than it is 30%, and that's including some luxury services that I choose to pay for (cable and 1gig internet mostly). This is living in the city of Houston about a 10m drive away from downtown.

I was way under the 30% mark when I was younger and made far less money than I make now, too. I'm not saying everyone is in a position to do it, but saying it's a "boomer pipe dream" is a large overstatement.

You must be really lucky then, or in a location where salary or rent/housing is low. UK you are lucky to get a rentable property for £600-£650 for a 1 bed apartment in a city location. Add on to that council tax, tv license, internet access, heating/electricty and water, you could easily be looking at £800 to £900 just to be in an apartment. Thats why so many people starting out in the industry either live with a partner or house share to cut costs. Starting salary for most people (not even in the industry but generally) is between £16-18k in the UK, so after taking off rent and food, it would be pretty much borderline if you lived on your own.

I think that's the point people are making, that peoples country, location and role make a Massive difference to any of those points, and trying to equate it to your own standard of living in your own location is missing the point.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Appalling she would stick it out this long to work for that, eventually if no one takes that job, they would be forced to up the pay but sucks that there are expendable interns willing to do whatever and whenever. How do you even justify it to yourself to offer someone that little for the hours and work being put out there and not see where this can severely backfire?

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
Ya, don't buy this game y'all. I know it sucks, I know the game looks great, I know we've been waiting for like, 8 years but god damn does CDproject not deserve our money.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
But what about 10% of the revenue from 2020!?

This game, like all AAA games, is going to be hugely front-loaded for sales. The majority of full price sales have probably already been made due to preorders. This is a laughable claim and doesn't belong in a thread about real and tangible exploitation like the dev who made the OP tweets.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Gonna be honest. After seeing the wages posted online from American videogame companies not long ago I fully came in here expecting to go "wow, that's not that much for a game industry worker but I'd kill to make that much money" and it be something like $100k but......... it's just so so so depressingly low that I had to read it multiple times to fully comprehend. Holy cow this is awful.

If I made that here in Houston I could only cover rent and MAYBE some food. Insane.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
Which Balkans, exactly? Because average salary in Romania, Croatia and Bulgaria is between 1300 and 2000 USD per month (yes I know it's 2020, but those salaries did not double or triple in the last 6 years). 450 USD is not great even in the Balkans, much less so in Poland. And even much less so for a prominent gaming studio animator, for Christ's sakes. What point are you making, exactly?
> Average salary in Romania is between 1300 and 2000 USD

Lol

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Where did you get this number from?

I got some other numbers. Average salary in croatia was 880 Euros in December 2019. The lovest avarage is 565 Euros in the leather-productions, and highest is 1585 Euros if you work in the aviation industry.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
Where did you get this number from?

I got some other numbers. Average salary in croatia was 880 Euros in December 2019. The lovest avarage is 565 Euros in the leather-productions, and highest is 1585 Euros if you work in the aviation industry.

If the average salary in Romania was between 1300 and 2000 USD then I don't know why there are thousands of Romanians that migrate to Spain to earn 800€.