• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I've always thought that the lower pay was due to the cost of living not being as bad in Poland compared to other game dev hubs like Japan (Tokyo is expensive) and America (San Francisco, Seattle, Los Angeles, etc. are expensive) but Christ that's bad.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Need this converted to a currency I can understand. How many employee months to 1 hand-delivered influencer chair?

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile:
images

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's more than 30% above 2014 minimum wage in poland
Maybe the minimum wage is too fucking low, then?

Like, if you make $11 an hour here in Texas, wowzers, you're a richie rich dude because that's 30% over minimum wage!

Except that's still just ~$20k a year and that's barely better than being unemployed.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
a) That's why discussing wages is important. The taboo around the subject is one of the most powerful tools companies have to exploit you.
b) By her tweets it seems like it was actually very low for her standard of living, which is bad. But 430 dollars in Poland are not the same as 430 dollars in the USA. Stop doing comparison as if it was the same thing. The USA is not the center of the world.

Anarkin

Oct 27, 2017
Still.

Imagine starting at one of the biggest video game developers in the world and then getting told "430 bucks, that's the standard in our country 🤷‍♂️, doesn't matter what we do or how big we are".

That's stupid.

That was before The Witcher 3 release. They weren't really big back then.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
We need to stop excusing treatment of workers and transphobia because the game that is the end-result of all of that looks cool.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
If people were questioning how can CDPR sustain CP2077 cost and having nearly 1000 people on project, this is how they can.

Every eastern european country has very low wages, nowhere near what you see in Western Europe or NA.

-------------------

And to be precise, a lot of publishers are exploiting minimum wages in several countries.
Ubisoft is one of them and pretty much every major AAA does this stuff.

Gram

Oct 27, 2017
Zurich
User Warned: Dismissing Concerns Around Abusive Work Practices
Why would you sign a contract that nets you 430.- per mensem, knowing that it won't even pay your rent?

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for the same people defending 100 hour weeks to come in amd defend this as well.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I think it is wrong and Sad. I actually have family in eastern europe and some of them work 12 hour shifts at least 4-5 days a week. They barely get the same between 400-600 USD, but in their currency. A month. It sucks. And working or companies that make millions like this. They need to elevate the paying standard and not be greedy at the top. You know all of the execs or leads are "rich" or rich within reason. Witcher 3 was a massive success. It even got rejuvenated in a way a GTA game would sell years later (but in this case with the witcher netflix series). I can't really talk. But i'm pretty sure there are some mllionaires at CDPR. It sucks that others are paid so low. Maybe I am wrong with the financials.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There are apparently many people at ERA that think that people working full time at one of the biggest video game developers in the world, where the owner is one of the richest in the country, should be satisfied with their wage as long as it's above the minimum allowed, even if it means they can't afford rent.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
really terrible. Games industry jobs are highly technical and require a great deal of education this level of pay is ridiculous.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Wow, that's horrible. Makes me never want to play a CDPR game again, knowing everything I now know about them. :/

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I knew a guy when I lived in London who interviewed for CDPR back in the Witcher 1 days, he had experience working with Neverwinter night's engine or something (I'm not super clued into game engines so can't elaborate)

Apparently found out in the interview that the position was unpaid. He brought it up when I asked him why the hell he hadn't played Witcher III yet, that was his reason. Anyway not something I can personally verify and it is over a decade ago but it seems there's been a stink around this company for a really long time

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
That pretty bad, just a bit over the minimum wage at the time for an important job position on top of living in the capital where everything is more expensive. Thats rough.

Also can people with the whole "a made more than that" or "I made that in 2 days" just shut the fuck up, this is not about you or what you make in your rich country.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
$430 before the launch of The Witcher 3 in 2014 is not shocking.

$430 after The Witcher 3 in the year 2020 is madness.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
This tweet undersells how bad it is, because the bonus isn't based on revenue it's based on profit.

I mean this is legit scummy af - i'm curious though with 3 weeks of sell time - wouldn't that be a healthy majority of the games pull? A game like TW3 or indeed CyberPunk is gonna have insane legs so it's not like it makes it ok or is in ANY fuckin way fair but most games drop off pretty hard after that first week or two right?
Still - that should turn into the fiscal year or something to make up some of that stolen cash.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
damn that's pretty low for a high profile company in Poland I think.
Sure they weren't nobody after Witcher 2 but they weren't that high profile.
For perspective share price was around 20 PLN when they released W3. Now it's almost 400 PLN. They really exploded after Witcher 3.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Stories about video game companies grinding their young, new, and inexperienced employees into the dirt seem common the world over. Everyone I personally knew who worked in the game industry warned people away from following in their footsteps.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I can't really talk. But i'm pretty sure there are some mllionaires at CDPR. It sucks that others are paid so low. Maybe I am wrong with the financials.

Nah, you're spot on.

That's how it works on every company and why systemic change *must* happen soon. We can't trust the millionaire CEOs to pay better wages out of the kindness of their hearts. Unionize. Tax the rich, dramatically increase the minimum wage, and introduce universal basic income.

Vote for it. Talk to people about it. Protest about it. Productivity and profits are higher than ever, and yet employees rarely see this increased revenue. It all goes to the pockets of the richest.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
This is absurd. Just because it was above Poland's minimum wage in 2014, doesn't mean it's any less terrible.

I work as senior support analyst in Brazil and I make about 4 times the monthly minimum wage here. A game developer should be paid more than what she was paid for a full time job. I'm feeling less inclined to buy this game every second. The crunch, underpaid workers and transphobic views are way more than enough to kill any hype I had.

Even my salary being 4 times the Brazilian minimum wage, when converted to US$, that would be about 720 US dollars a month, which isn't enough for a Playstation 5, currently being sold for 900 US dollars here. And that's not accounting for taxes applied to my earnings and other expenses like rent, which is 1/4 of my monthly wage.

So basically, when looking at her monthly income, she couldn't even buy a next gen system in 2014 without saving for a bunch of months just so she could play the game she's worked on...