• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Someone going by Jin Saotome did a custom kitbash figure of the Capcom COTA Sentinel and it is easily one of the coolest things I have ever seen with my eyes:
qSidtaW.jpg

arDWhgg.jpg

OIEs3Or.jpg

Marvel's copyright guy was a fucking idiot for having anything negative to say about it. Sentinels have never looked better. Hell, most of the Marvel cast has never looked better than the unique blend of Capcom artists aping Jim Lee. Absolutely iconic stuff.

4KLobster

Dec 17, 2017
Japan
I can't believe people here still fall for cherrypicked examples like yours.

uncanny-x-men-142-wolverine-storm-720x1114.jpg

s-l400.jpg

sentinel-domino.jpg

Not saying this design is better, but I'm just showing a better representation of it. It actually has a menacing feel but it needs a better color scheme.

The Claremont/Byrne era XMen Sentinels are quite terrifying in the context of a wonderful groundbreaking storytelling.

If that's what you've been exposed first (like me) then this would become the iconic look and, yes, the Capcom version would feel jarring (though, in isolation, nicely done design!).

Back to topic: thanks for digging up and sharing those tweets!

The Jim Lee designs re-invented by Capcom still look awesome (the latest infinite fighting game is so mediocre design-wise it boggles the mind!).

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Interesting updates on his thread:

Looks like Galactus / Silver Surfer was supposed to be the boss in MvC1 but Marvel rejected his inclusion

Howard the Duck was supposed to be in MvC1 but it didn't happen because of the past rejection by Marvel towards Norimaro as a "too comical" character

Aaand She Hulk was also considered to be in MvC1 and the devs were aware of how she breaks the 4th wall in the comics, so she would have a move in which she hits the opponent with the health bar (*wink wink* Deadpool lv 3 in MvC3)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jintor

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Shulkie says as much to Deadpool if she beats him in MvC3 lol

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Marvel rejected Galactus because they considered the heroes shouldn't be able to beat him up... and even when pointing out how it had happened in the comics they still kept the rejection up. And then they allowed it for MvC3 when Katsuya Akitomo wasn't involved anymore.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
God I wish we could get another straight X-men fighting game.
There is an almost unlimited amount of cool characters they could use.

OP
OP
Jintor

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
my dream is to get a marvel vs dc game at that level of amazingness

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
I love how marvel themselves reacted to shuma. I also love how they took something so weird and made it so cool.

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Marvel rejected Galactus because they considered the heroes shouldn't be able to beat him up... and even when pointing out how it had happened in the comics they still kept the rejection up. And then they allowed it for MvC3 when Katsuya Akitomo wasn't involved anymore.
That's funny considering you can beat Shuma Gorath as Dan in MSH vs Street Fighter haha.

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone going by Jin Saotome did a custom kitbash figure of the Capcom COTA Sentinel and it is easily one of the coolest things I have ever seen with my eyes:
qSidtaW.jpg

arDWhgg.jpg

OIEs3Or.jpg

Marvel's copyright guy was a fucking idiot for having anything negative to say about it. Sentinels have never looked better. Hell, most of the Marvel cast has never looked better than the unique blend of Capcom artists aping Jim Lee. Absolutely iconic stuff.

I want this!!!!! Sell to me!!!!!!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Might as well ask here: did we ever learn how and why Marvel signed off on Shuma-Gorath in Marvel Super Heroes? Wouldn't they have wanted anyone else or was it just a matter of Capcom liking the character and pushing for him?

OP
OP
Jintor

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Ever since I read a graphic novel version of Marvel vs DC as a kid I've wanted a Marvel vs DC fighting game, including characters from the amalgam universe (but maybe different fusions nowadays)
you don't like DARK CLAWWWWWWW?

personally i loved the idea of peter parker and clark kent working at the same company and always accidentally getting in each other's way

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
you don't like DARK CLAWWWWWWW?

personally i loved the idea of peter parker and clark kent working at the same company and always accidentally getting in each other's way
I personally like all the amalgams, but after hearing years worth of people crapping on them especially for being "too 90s" and both companies have so many new characters I'd like to see what could be done with some newer ones.

I love some of the little crossovers like the one you mention, I used to always laugh at one panel of J Jonah Jamerson and Perry White standing side by side in the exact pose telling off some villain, it was pure 4th wall breaking like "we know so many of our characters are essentially copies"

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow. She-Hulk was considered for MVC1. That would be amazing if they went all out with wall-breaking She-Hulk.

OP
OP
Jintor

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I personally like all the amalgams, but after hearing years worth of people crapping on them especially for being "too 90s" and both companies have so many new characters I'd like to see what could be done with some newer ones.

I love some of the little crossovers like the one you mention, I used to always laugh at one panel of J Jonah Jamerson and Perry White standing side by side in the exact pose telling off some villain, it was pure 4th wall breaking like "we know so many of our characters are essentially copies"

my favourite name was definitely dr strangefate. great mashup

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Goddamn this is such a cool twitter thread. Really nice seeing this dev insight for the older Vs. games.

I'd really like to know whos call it was to add Marrow to 2 and why

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting to read stuff like She-Hulk & Galactus being considered but dropped, only to eventually make it in. Got a laugh that Howard the Duck was considered at one point as well, but the gag character was already covered. Plus geez, I always figured they didn't include Norimaro in the US version because "who?" but man, didn't know Marvel HATED the idea of a gag character outside of the two companies beating all their characters up.

Also all the Sentinel talk makes me want a model kit based on his MvC2/3 design.

Vayr

Oct 14, 2020
This is such an interesting read, I'm a big fan of Capcom in general and I think they have always been masters of design (though they've had their up and downs, just look at MvCI), Japan in general has an insane amount of great artists but Capcom in particular is responsible for so many iconic designs it's crazy and 90's Capcom-Marvel stuff is a great example. Western comic artstyle usually does nothing for me but I love Capcom's stuff there, making someone appreciate unfamiliar characters just through excellent design without the need for writing is such a marvelous thing.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
Welp we missed a DC fighting game by Capcom...
Reading we could have got a DC fighting game from capcom back then is extremely disappointing. I wish someone else but NRS could have a crack at the DC characters and making a whole bunch of 2d sprites of DC characters in the late 90s would end up meaning one thing... MARVEL VS DC

but alas, capcom declined :(