• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Boy, Marvel sure is the worst then huh. So goddamn arrogant. That Sentinel design is the best shit ever.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Capcom's Fisk couldn't look as big and ridiculous as the Fisk from Into the Spider-verse.

The whole theater was laughing when he came on screen
Same, but I was impressed how much of a serious threatening presence he quickly became

Also, what did Sentinels look like before? How did they generally change after MvC?

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Same, but I was impressed how much of a serious threatening presence he quickly became

Also, what did Sentinels look like before? How did they generally change after MvC?
This dorky shit:

The_X-Men_%28Uncanny_X-Men%29-vol.1-14_%28November_1965%29.jpg

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
72a6f6f48552aa9a961b9f8366eaff64.jpg

f4ebd27efef4dad762686a1b8fbf5b65--atoms-x-men.jpg

1099016897.jpg

I know it's jaded to say "things were better in the old days", but I do think there's a unique STYLE that Capcom's artist brought to the X-men and Marvel games that really did a bang-up job of bringing the 90's era to life in a way I don't think other eras really benefited from.

I could talk at lengths about it, but even something as simple as the default poses of the characters just are 100% extreme yet PERFECT.
source.gif

AcrobaticMatureAmazontreeboa-size_restricted.gif

tenor.gif

Truly stunning work and they only got better with experience.

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Great read.

I hope he tell us some stories about MVC2 development, I've never found a single paragraph of dev backstory about that game and I'm super curious about it.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
A time when Capcom had the legendary 'Capcom Design Works' crew and Marvel weren't IP micro-managing things to complete shit. Man, what an incredible and never to be repeated era.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
It doesn't surprise me that Marvel Comics were just as infamously difficult to work with back then as they are in the present.

What does surprise me that Capcom Japan got away with as much as they could, as there's no way their redesign of the Sentinel unit would get approved in the modern era.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
SMH and someone at Marvel had the audacity to complain about Capcom DRASTICALLY improving it. I wonder how Sentinels would look nowadays if Capcom had never gotten the license
Sentinel was co-created by Jack Kirby, who is basically god at Marvel and DC. I can kind of understand Marvel's negative reaction. They want his designs to look the same with minor touch ups. Compare the New Gods back then to now and they still look largely the same. So now Sentinel is a Gundam and anime influenced, which goes against the "House Style" look Marvel strictly enforced for all their artists.

Last edited:

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
These games helped a lot of my non-comics friends become aware of non-Fox Animation Marvel characters.

And years later, Fortnite's Marvel collab helped my son become aware of non-MCU Marvel characters.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
These are some awesome anecdotes.

I always forget how impressive Spiral's animations are. Just incredible work.

tenor.gif

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
great thread!

and we were so,s-oiled back then with all the amazin spritework - I definitely didnt appreciate something like spiral then as much as i do now...

bodine1231

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Still play these games all the time. The art style is just so amazing. Best Sabertooth design ever!

cyEPx7W.jpg

rgcfswn.jpg

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know the comics at all but as someone whose reference point to X-Men at the time was the 90s animated series I didn't see the Sentinel in COTA as such a huge departure. They looked similar enough to my untrained eye, its just the Capcom one was cooler.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for sharing OP. Marvel sounds like a pain to work with.

Sure would like to know some tidbits about what went down with MvCI too. :P

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I can't believe people here still fall for cherrypicked examples like yours.

uncanny-x-men-142-wolverine-storm-720x1114.jpg

s-l400.jpg

sentinel-domino.jpg

Not saying this design is better, but I'm just showing a better representation of it. It actually has a menacing feel but it needs a better color scheme.
I still think the Capcom version is miles better. I don't like the "giant human" look of the originals

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Such a shame Marvel were/are so damn controlling about some of the design aspects for these characters. They need to chill out. Unless Capcom decides to wake up one day and have Spider-Man do a fucking Mortal Kombat 11 fatality on Ryu I think they'll more than respect these properties.

If Spiderverse got to do such wacky shit with Kingpin's design, I honestly can't imagine what Capcom, or even Crystal Dynamics or anyone else working on the Marvel property, could do that's so god damn offensive to Marvel that it's just unacceptable. It's all alternate universe shit. Just let them run free with ideas if it compliments the gameplay (again, barring something straight up repulsive like a gruesome, gory fatality)

Some consistency would be nice. Until Marvel Infinite, Capcom's artists have been absolute masters when it comes to portraying these characters. Some of my all time favorite takes on the Marvel cast.

d8yoke4-473addac-c4cc66k9t.png

Sadly, given how nice some of the concept art looks for MvC Infinite, it seems like the higher ups at Marvel forced a certain style that Capcom had to adhere to. It's frustrating as fuck.

TNhQnQU.jpg

One day we'll get another, beautiful Marvel game from Capcom that harkens back to this golden era...

Oct 27, 2017
???
Did you not post the sprites? I was saying for other people who might get snarky and say "ghosting" is a form of after images that don't look cool, not you

s-l400.jpg

sentinel-domino.jpg

Not saying this design is better, but I'm just showing a better representation of it. It actually has a menacing feel but it needs a better color scheme.
Isn't the 1st image the the only one that predates the games? And the point is, they look better when they're more mechanical looking which later versions were, hence they don't have the same issue as the originals. Regardless I still prefer the Capcom one looking like a machine through and through, not just what was essentially a large Iron Man suit. Unless they go full in human in appearance like the DOFP ones (which are humanoid, but still)

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
the mahvel sentinal is EASILY the best design for sent

kevin feige we need the mutha fuckin mango sentinel in the MCU

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
They both have their ups and downs. The human ones have led to some creepier designs in the future which look kind of cool to me:

5346784-sentinels-x-men-days-of-future-past.jpg

x-men-sentinels-concept-art-dl.jpg

latest

I like these designs too actually. Would love capcom take a crack at these as well.

I am going to be a weirder here as well, I like the marvel 3 Sent more than marvel 2 version (I know they are basically the same).

Felt heavier and more mech like (I like mech and robot stuff), ;)

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Isn't the 1st image the the only one that predates the games? And the point is, they look better when they're more mechanical looking which later versions were, hence they don't have the same issue as the originals. Regardless I still prefer the Capcom one looking like a machine through and through, not just what was essentially a large Iron Man suit. Unless they go full in human in appearance like the DOFP ones (which are humanoid, but still)

Every one but the last image predates the MvC 2 game. My point was to merely give a better representation to that design. Whether or not it's better or worse compared to the Capcom design is a subjective matter.

Oct 27, 2017
Every one but the last image predates the MvC 2 game. My point was to merely give a better representation to that design. Whether or not it's better or worse compared to the Capcom design is a subjective matter.
The first Capcom Sentinel was in Children of the Atom (1994), but looking at it the Fox Xmen show premiered in 1992. Either way it's always been subjective, I was just wondering why Marvel would care when comic characters go through numerous redesigns anyway

Oct 27, 2017
Cool.

Xmen the cartoon was released in 1992.
The other two comic images are from 1981 and 1990.
Yeah, i know. I literally said that. I don't get what your point is. I prefer the Capcom design. Posting more pictures of old Sentinels isn't going to change that. Plus you already said it's subjective (and I agreed) so I don't know why you're getting bent out of shape

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
A great series I wish didn't left so soon. It's most likely not coming back because of Disney, but will be remembered for its best days before MVCI.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Yeah, i know. I literally said that. I don't get what your point is. I prefer the Capcom design. Posting more pictures of old Sentinels isn't going to change that. Plus you already said it's subjective (and I agreed) so I don't know why you're getting bent out of shape

Oh I think I see what's happening here. I think you are assigning certain emotions to my posts that I'm not trying to display at all. My intent and point was never to change your opinion. As stated above(and for the third time just now) I was merely showing a better representation of how the older sentinels looked so that people could judge better for themselves. I'm not exactly sure what went wrong here conversationally, but I hope that you understand my intent.

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The amazing spritework and animation on this games is what actually made marvel characters cool in my eyes, so i am really thankful for this era.

I cherish the memories of playing MvC1 and 2.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017

s-l400.jpg

sentinel-domino.jpg

Yeah, people always jumps the gun with a single piece of evidence without ever questioning or going for any other source of their own, especially if it fits their biases. It's not like there was a decade of X-Men media between the one posted and the game.

Seems too nittpicky from Marvel to have complained about Capcom's design when it's immediately recognizable as a Sentinel. I admit that I don't read comics and know the X-Men mostly from the various animated series, and the Sentinel was fulfilling the part of giant purple robot with a lumberjack hat that I always had in my mind.

Anyways, the insight straight from the devs, especially from such legendary games, is always awesome.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
These are some awesome anecdotes.

I always forget how impressive Spiral's animations are. Just incredible work.

tenor.gif

My main. I used a lot of Spiral/Juggernaut/Sentinel as an offshoot of the Ductator team. Glitched juggernaut assist just does too much damage not to love it, but since my old team was Cable/Juggernaut/Sentinel its easy for me to go full Ductator and abuse me some Air Hyper Viper beams and AA grenades with Spiral.

God Spirals pressure is so obscene. Love her playstyle and look so much.