• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

red13th

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I don't really see how this is thread worthy honestly. Glad he's a former GOP congressman instead of current I guess but as someone who has gay family members who struggled very much with their sexuality imo this kind of straddles the line of making fun/outing someone with what impact really?

It also drags other people into this who I'm sure would rather not have anything to do with it, and like most people have no idea he's a former GOP congressman.

It's not a stretch to assume they follow him on social media and, he has posted more than once about his embezzlement case . I mean, maybe they skipped those photos, but I think it's unlikely he's just a random gay male from West Hollywood to his friends.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Dude def. needs to be called out if he never apologized or admitted he was in the wrong.

For real tough someone tell me the secrets of gay men's ability to have amazing abs. What is the routine? Asking as someone trying to get abs.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I'm fine with it since it is being done by members of the lgbt community. You don't attack our rights and think you can get away with and no one will notice. Now if it was a trashy straight mag like the enquirer or some such, then yeah. But this is being spotlighted by actual members of the community he used to attack. As a gay, they have my blessing.

The worse part is that this fucker hasn't apologized for it or has started working on rectifying his past sins to the community. He is literally using his white gay male privilege here because he probably thinks that because he is hot, that he can get away with it. Not today, Satan. Not today.

This and its rampant throughout our community (especially in bigger cities). Imagine feeling sorry for this POS who voted against the good of his own community but is so shamelessly lacking in guilt that he parades his sexuality around in public. Fuck him.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Dude def. needs to be called out if he never apologized or admitted he was in the wrong.

For real tough someone tell me the secrets of gay men's ability to have amazing abs. What is the routine? Asking as someone trying to get abs.

Get used to always being hungry. Also, notice the ages of the men... guarantee you they are all on TRT

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like this negative stereotype either, but we need to see it for what it is. He needs to be called out.
The point is that you shouldn't be calling people "the gays" or "the homosexuals" unless you're referencing something or being colloquial.

Maybe the OP has a reason for it, but I don't think it's a great look. He was hanging out with other men. They're not "the gays", they're just other people.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
Some people need to get real.

A former congressman went to one of the biggest music festivals in the world, which has a reputation as a place that you go to be seen, partied with a group of Instagays and willingly had his picture taken with them, and made out with (and put his hands down the pants of) another guy in public. I don't think one has to debate whether it's right to out someone with an anti-gay record because this doesn't even count as outing.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really see how this is thread worthy honestly. Glad he's a former GOP congressman instead of current I guess but as someone who has gay family members who struggled very much with their sexuality imo this kind of straddles the line of making fun/outing someone with what impact really?

It also drags other people into this who I'm sure would rather not have anything to do with it, and like most people have no idea he's a former GOP congressman.
Being a former congressman doesn't mean all of a sudden they stop spouting hate, and will drop off from the public completely.

Many people who stop being congressman will typically become lobbyists, or still be in the public in some form.

Being a lobbyist that spouts hateful views could have an even greater impact on someone who is a sitting congressman, since they're the ones that will be controlling them.

Maybe it would've been better to blur out the people that weren't him, and make it a bit more careful about possibly outing others, and that I can kind of see where you're coming from.

But to insinuate that somebody who has spouted hate as a congressman (and possibly before he became a congressman, and after), are all of a sudden off the hook now that they aren't one anymore, is just not a very good point of discussion dwell on in regards to the larger conversation at hand.

thatother

Dec 12, 2017
Actually, not at all.

Think before you signal boost harmful stereotypes.

How is that a harmful stereotype? What does the reason matter if they're being bigots? Do you think it's a coincidence so many people who are fiercely anti-lgbtq get caught doing the very thing they rally against? I also clearly emphasized some people, not all.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
How is that a harmful stereotype? What does the reason matter if they're being bigots? Do you think it's a coincidence so many people who are fiercely anti-lgbtq get caught doing the very thing they rally against? I also clearly emphasized some people, not all.
It's been explained numerous times already.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Because

a) It contributes to the pervasive cultural desire people have to externalize the awful things that people instead of accepting that bigots are just bigots. Not because they were troubled, not because their dad wasn't there when they were growing up, not because they had mental health issues, not because they were insecure or self loathing. This kind of awful bigoted behavior is the norm, not the exception, and it needs to be addressed for what it is.

b) It draws attention away from the reality that most of the people doing awful homophobic things are straight. Queer people aren't to be blamed for oppressing themselves. The straight majority needs to accept that this problem is rooted in shitty straight people. Not self loathing white gay men.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor

At least 2 of the big 3 (Excessive abuse of roids, starvation, and going to the gym more than you do anything else) because the only dating apps, and the only legit locals you'll ever see on most of them, have shirtless selfies plastered all over the place. It brings you down emotionally and it gets you down a cycle of self-loathing trying to compare yourself to everyone and wondering if the reason you're still single (even if it's only for the night) is because you don't think you look too good in comparison to them

thatother

Dec 12, 2017
Because

a) It contributes to the pervasive cultural desire people have to externalize the awful things that people instead of accepting that bigots are just bigots. Not because they were troubled, not because their dad wasn't there when they were growing up, not because they had mental health issues, not because they were insecure or self loathing. This kind of awful bigoted behavior is the norm, not the exception, and it needs to be addressed for what it is.

b) It draws attention away from the reality that most of the people doing awful homophobic things are straight. Queer people aren't to be blamed for oppressing themselves. The straight majority needs to accept that this problem is rooted in shitty straight people. Not self loathing white gay men.

Since you actually responded to me thoughtfully and without a snide remark I'll respond to you and not the person I quoted.

Nothing I said diminished point B. I specifically said "some" which by any stretch of the imagination is not inaccurate. It seems like every month there's a different story about an R congressman getting caught doing exactly the thing they constantly vote against. If I had used broad strokes or generalized all homophobes as closeted people in my post you'd absolutely have a point but again, I didn't.

For point A, while it wasn't my intention I'll concede that it could come across that way, for which I apologize.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Since you actually responded to me thoughtfully and without a snide remark I'll respond to you and not the person I quoted.

Nothing I said diminished point B. I specifically said "some" which by any stretch of the imagination is not inaccurate. It seems like every month there's a different story about an R congressman getting caught doing exactly the thing they constantly vote against. If I had used broad strokes or generalized all homophobes as closeted people in my post you'd absolutely have a point but again, I didn't.

For point A, while it wasn't my intention I'll concede that it could come across that way, for which I apologize.
You were literally quoting a post stating that the most rabid homophobes are often closeted so you could agree with it.

If you can't accept responsibility for what you were very clearly choosing to focus on and argue in favor of I can't help you.

Maybe focus more on listening and less on talking?

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Some people in this thread are trying way too hard to be woke. That's the norm on this site though. It's fine to call out losers who played a hand in hurting people even if they don't have the power they once did. Struggling with your sexuality isn't an excuse to pass laws that harm people...

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
If I had used broad strokes or generalized all homophobes as closeted people in my post you'd absolutely have a point but again, I didn't.

Do you think it's a coincidence so many people who are fiercely anti-lgbtq get caught doing the very thing they rally against?

is a broad stroke. It is a generalization. You claim to hear it a lot, so you automatically assume it's a lot/"so many"

You don't have to deal with the harm that comes with being associated with our own oppressors. We do

thatother

Dec 12, 2017
You were literally quoting a post stating that the most rabid homophobes are often closeted so you could agree with it.

If you can't accept responsibility for what you were very clearly choosing to focus on and argue in favor of I can't help you.

Maybe focus more on listening and less on talking?

Did you miss the part where I apologized for coming across a certain way despite it not being my intention? I seriously don't understand the hostility, but ok? If you just want someone to be angry or annoyed at I feel like it's misplaced.

I don't think this is going to go anywhere further so I'll just bow out. Again I'll apologize for what I guess was just a misunderstanding. Best of luck.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Did you miss the part where I apologized for coming across a certain way despite it not being my intention? I seriously don't understand the hostility, but ok? If you just want someone to be angry or annoyed at I feel like it's misplaced.

I don't think this is going to go anywhere further so I'll just bow out. Again I'll apologize for what I guess was just a misunderstanding. Best of luck.
Stop trying to minimize what you did and just take ownership of it. It'll make life easier in the future and you'll be better for it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
And that's the thing, I'm betting a lot of people don't know who he is, because he's been hanging out with lgbt+ people.

aaron-schock-and-ariana-grande.png

91CFLKa.jpg
Oh fuck this asshole.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
While I don't know everything on the topic, I think a lot of it stems from when we are younger and learn through social constructs that it is easy to target marginalized groups to gain social status over others. That continoues into adulthood and as a politicians he used it to score points with his voters.

Wait, who learns this??? I never in my life was taught this.

Edit: oh you mean bullying.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

Coachella isn't a private event, and we have every right to rake his ass over the coals for what he did, not who he is.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Quelle surprise. He deserves to be called out and he should've been convicted. Dude's a massive hypocrite and thief.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"White gays with abs" is so specific. Is this specific group a common offender to LGBT peeps and basic human decency?

There is a lot of racism in the gay community, despite all of us being a minority. So yes, there is definitely shade you can throw at white gays who are superficial and shitty people.

The issue is extremely rampant on apps like Grindr, they had an ad campaign to try to curb it on their platform. I've also been subjected to racist nonsense even within my own friend group when new people came around, which created unnecessary drama.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
The 'Top Anti Gay Activists Who Later Turned Out to be Gay' list will be updated soon I see

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
My best friend's uncle is openly gay and has been with the same man (married since it was legal too) for 20 years.

He is HARDCORE Republican and a a very vocal Trump fan. I don't get it, blows my mind.

What is it that allows a gay man to align with people that hate them?

(The only thing I can guess is $$$. He's a business owner)

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My best friend's uncle is openly gay and has been with the same man (married since it was legal too) for 20 years.

He is HARDCORE Republican and a a very vocal Trump fan. I don't get it, blows my mind.

Does he self-identify as Libertarian?

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
The 'Top Anti Gay Activists Who Later Turned Out to be Gay' list will be updated soon I see

Oh please he's definitely a bottom

And upbringing. I've met waaaay more conservative gays since moving to Texas from California. Being conservative is just a lot more normal out here.

I worked with a younger gay dude who told me "I'm not like the other gays, y'know brainwashed and uneducated and liberal". Then he told me "all stereotypes exist for a reason" and that it wasn't racist to say you wouldn't date black people in your Grindr profile, I nope'd the fuck outta that conversation. I've had way too many similar convos with other gay men around here though, I've almost learned to be afraid to talk about trans issues because I know I'm not going to like what they have to say about it.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Are "Log Cabin Republicans" still an actual thing?

For a short period in the 90s and early 2000s, yes, not so much anymore. The alignment of the religious right and the Republican party pushed the Republican agenda to be further and further anti-gay (saying anti-gay because 'lgbt' wasn't really a mainstream term then esp. among Republicans). Up into the 90s there were still "Rockefeller Republicans," from the North East and West Coast, who would have been more representative of social norms from those areas... Not progressive on LGBTQ+ issues like someone would be today, but not as conservative relative to that time period. What's so weird today is that Trump is the least religious president in ~100 years, but he's such a lying scumbag that he still plays up to that religious right and they love him for it.

Weird little factoid in history is that Log Cabin Republicans successfully sued to overturn Don't Ask Don't Tell in federal court in 2010 and won, outlawing Don't Ask Don't Tell, but the ruling was vacated by a higher circuit court because in the time the trial took, the Obama Administration officially ended the policy so the case was considered moot. But, now today with the Trump administration exploring similar policies with regard to transgender people in the military, there isn't a legal precedent to over turn that. If the precedent from that trial had been upheld, then that ruling could overturn Trump's transgender ban.

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
There's a club?
Seems unfair to go against his sexuality instead of his former political views on the social implications of said sexuality.
So, I guess outing someone is cool as long as you dont agree with their politics?

This thread is weird, and it would be much different if this was about someone everyone liked.
He's not being shamed for his sexuality, he's being shamed for being a hypocrite and selling a marginalized minority group down the river for the sake of his career, completely unbothered by the fact that he is himself a member of this group because he knows he's in a position of power and privilege that allows him to avoid being personally affected by the damage he's inflicting.

He's actively damaged the lives of the LGBT community and now he wants to join the party and rub up on some muscle dudes at a music festival like nothing happened. Like, go fuck yourself dude (him, not you guys).

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
It must be a hell of a thing to be a person who vehemently opposes their own self interest such as this. I'd pity them if they weren't responsible for damaging groups of people with their self hatred. People die because that ideology, so fuck him for his role in it.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
For a short period in the 90s and early 2000s, yes, not so much anymore. The alignment of the religious right and the Republican party pushed the Republican agenda to be further and further anti-gay (saying anti-gay because 'lgbt' wasn't really a mainstream term then esp. among Republicans). Up into the 90s there were still "Rockefeller Republicans," from the North East and West Coast, who would have been more representative of social norms from those areas... Not progressive on LGBTQ+ issues like someone would be today, but not as conservative relative to that time period. What's so weird today is that Trump is the least religious president in ~100 years, but he's such a lying scumbag that he still plays up to that religious right and they love him for it.

Weird little factoid in history is that Log Cabin Republicans successfully sued to overturn Don't Ask Don't Tell in federal court in 2010 and won, outlawing Don't Ask Don't Tell, but the ruling was vacated by a higher circuit court because in the time the trial took, the Obama Administration officially ended the policy so the case was considered moot. But, now today with the Trump administration exploring similar policies with regard to transgender people in the military, there isn't a legal precedent to over turn that. If the precedent from that trial had been upheld, then that ruling could overturn Trump's transgender ban.

I can tell you from dating that log cabin republicans are still around. At least in Texas. Terrible, terrible dates. Because they are rich and have privilege, they don't give a fuck about anyone else, even though they know the way they vote hurts their own communities.