• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
When there's a discussion about great gaming music then we usually see a dozen or so take up the majority of the conversation. Shadow of the Colossus, Final Fantasy 7 & 8, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Metroid Prime, Halo, Mario etc.
Personally though I know all the usual suspects backwards at this point so I'm curious to receive suggestions for gaming soundtracks that may be overlooked or have become straight up forgotten. Here's a couple to kick it off:

Alien Trilogy - 1996 on the PlayStation, Sega Saturn & PC.
Great soundtrack. Kinda refreshing to listen to today as it's purely synth work and no real-life orchestra or licensed music. I also loved that the original PS1 disc could be played as a normal CD on any player.
Several tunes are chained from this video:

Favorite tracks (links): 5,9,11

Age of Conan - 2008 PC.
In my humble opinion one of the very greatest gaming soundtracks of all time. Top 3 for me personally. Downright beautiful. You really should listen through the whole thing:

Favorite tracks (links): 1,2,5,10,11,12,14,15,25

Last edited:

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These titles certainly aren't overlooked by those who are heavily into gaming music, but they're definitely niche compared to the more popular titles you have listed.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
somewhat cheating to list games without english localization, but here goes :D

played with different instruments at different parts of the game

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
People really sleep on the Soul Sacrifice soundtrack.

The above are from the Delta version.

Composed by Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono Trigger) and Wataru Hokoyama (AFRIKA), we're treated with a melodic dark fantasy score largely performed by the Skywalker Symphony Orchestra. The music probably has higher production values than the rest of the game... and also gets bonus points for having actual recorded endings of the songs on the OST instead of just looping and fading out.
I didn't enjoy Soul Sacrifice all that much, but the soundtrack is astounding.

Jun 7, 2018
Easily some of the finest Mega Drive/Genesis music out there, both technically and creatively, but Nathan McCree's Bubba 'n' Stix soundtrack (and largely the game itself tbh) seems pretty much forgotten.

Oct 27, 2017
Fata Morgana's soundtrack is splendid, as is the rest of the game. Here's my favorite song, for those who actually listen to any of these links.

Soundchaser

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who likes the soundtracks of Deus Ex and Unreal should check Crusader's soundtrack, made by the same team of composers:

SiN Episodes: Emergence has a surprisingly awesome soundtrack, easily overshadows the rest of the game:

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn

I have nothing but love for Vanguard Bandits and everything it tried to do.

Put the Dustforce OST on and vibe out for a bit.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
The VA-11 HALL-A soundtrack fits the vibe of the game perfectly and is just a joy to listen to.

It's one of my favourite game soundtracks of all time and I rarely see it get mentioned.

RobotMoses

Jun 3, 2018
Whenever these types of threads pop up, I rarely see any mention of titles like Tyrian, Might and Magic VI, Bomberman 64 (great soundtrack, and a shame that the composer never did anything else!) - just to name a few.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I don't know how anyone could forget this song but I thought this definitely needs to be back in people's memories if they forgot:

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Front Mission Series: Gun Hazard

Pleaassseee play this game guys & gals! It's fucking amazing and the OST will live with you forever. It's my favorite SNES game of all-time.

(It only came out in Japan but there's a English patch online.)

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Front Mission Series: Gun Hazard

Pleaassseee play this game guys & gals! It's fucking amazing and the OST will live with you forever. It's my favorite SNES game of all-time.

(It only came out in Japan but there's a English patch online.)

Sell me on the Front Mission series, what are they like and what should I play?

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
There are some Genesis classics that get overlooked. Decap Attack is one of them. The game itself is good too and shouldn't be skipped by people that pick up the Genesis collection.

The second one is Crackdown. It's a top down stealth style game where your goal is to disarm bombs. No relation to Microsoft's Crackdown. This is one of Yuzo Koshiro's least talked about osts although Yasuhiro Kawakami did the original arcade arrangemets.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Sell me on the Front Mission series, what are they like and what should I play?

Honestly, you're asking the wrong guy. I only played this particular entry because it's an mech action side-scroller. It's unique because it's a side-scrolling action game with great RPG and customization elements. The gameplay has a great pace and your mech actually controls and moves like one. This individual game is best compared to Metal Warriors or the Assault Suit/Valken series.

Oct 25, 2017
The Incredible Crisis sounds is great. Music is all done by the amazing band Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra. More games need ska music.

Davoid

Jun 15, 2018
These titles certainly aren't overlooked by those who are heavily into gaming music, but they're definitely niche compared to the more popular titles you have listed.

Yessss when this one comes up, you know good stuff is happening.

AXE TIME. Ha ha ha I got that ending first at like, 4 am. Never forget the music.

I can't really think of any forgotten ones... most I like are pretty well recognized.

Maybe lesser known good ones?

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Mmmmm, perhaps someone can assist in here, this reminded me I really liked a retro soundtrack, it was definitely NES - SNES era, may have been a PC-Engine game, but I think it leaned more onto the NES era. It was some kind of sports game I believe (and if not that, a space game)
I know this is super vague, but well, nothing ventured, nothing gained, I can't seem to find any record of it in my watch history or anywhere in a playlist.
Edit - NEVERMIND FOUND IT WOOOOOOOOOOOO

Summer Carnival '92 RECCA
This soundtrack is amazing, and it's actually a shmup created at a summer carnival thing in 92, the true name is just "Recca."

Last edited: