• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
For a long time, people said it couldn't be done. You couldn't have an over the shoulder Resident Evil game that was horror focused and felt like the classic games.

The RE2 Remake has shattered that myth imo. This is peak Resident Evil. Its basically the game I've wanted since RE4 - the perfect melding of old and new.

So the natural followup many people would want is Nemesis. But that doesn't really make sense to me. The game is too similar to RE2. It serves as a bookend, but RE2 was the "meat" of the Raccoon City sandwich. The source material isn't rich enough.

But you know what is? The original. Give me this gameplay and put me in the Spencer Mansion and I think we have a match made in heaven. If they go all in on being creative like they originally did with Remake i think they can still make it fresh again.

I'm sure many people are like "ugh no re1 again" but you know Remake is 17 years old right? The HD port doesn't really count.

And to be honest, I'll say it now - fixed camera is gone. RE2 just allowed me to let it go. We don't need it anymore. But I'd love if the core experience of Resi1 lives on for another generation.

AdversaryOne

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
RE1 does need the modern design treatment. I agree but I'd like to see RE8 and some fresh ideas first, then we can revisit the past once again.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I think going back and giving RE1 the treatment after RE3 makes a lot of sense. Solid trilogy you can bundle together for the next two generations. Easy money.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
I'd much rather see RE3 and CV get some attention first, remaking RE1 again is about the most boring route they could take.

MrWonderworld

Sep 18, 2018
I doubt they're gonna Re-Remake the first one anytime soon. It still looks pretty good despite the gameplay. RE3 needs it much more.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018

There is no point of remaking the same game multiple times and Capcom know this. I rather they focus on RE3 and RE8.

I'd be very surprised if they actually go through with RE3 Remake. RE3 was a critical and commercial disappointment after RE2 and the reason why RE4 basically rebooted the series. Capcom has said that they'll remake RE3 if there's enough demand but that's about as non-committal as it gets. People acting like it's a given are being a bit... optimistic.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be very surprised if they actually go through with RE3 Remake. RE3 was a critical and commercial disappointment after RE2 and the reason why RE4 basically rebooted the series. Capcom has said that they'll remake RE3 if there's enough demand but that's about as non-committal as it gets. People acting like it's a given are being a bit... optimistic.

I'm pretty sure at least one insider on thus forum has said they're already working on it.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
REmake is perfect and doesn't benefit from TPS as much as RE2.

With REmake being as good as it is already, other RE titles should be the focus.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1xouX.gif

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
How about a big NO. It's perfect as is and I don't want them changing Jill or Chris' faces.

Toxa

Oct 28, 2017
no thanks it was already done with remake and done by its own creator mikami.
Rebirth was the perfect remake

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I was just saying this to a co-worker. 3 never gripped me. But I would happily play 1 again and again, and a new perspective on it would thrill me more than any other RE game remake ever could.

REmake is a near-perfect game. That doesn't mean another remake of it wouldn't also be.

Oct 26, 2017
UK

Wasn't really a critical disappointment..

https://www.gamerankings.com/ps/198459-resident-evil-3-nemesis/articles.html

All the reviews on initial release are extremely positive.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Resident Evil REmake²

Honestly though I have been playing REmake recently and I totally agree it would be incredible to have it in modern style.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I would agree with that. The puzzle a d areas are far more interesting in RE1. Mansion, Courtyard, Laboratory, Mines... I would love !!!

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Agree, give me RE1 remake over 3 or even 4. But a real remake where they take their liberties with the story and the setting.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
RE3 was a critical and commercial disappointment after RE2 and the reason why RE4 basically rebooted the series.

Uhm, RE3 was released in 1999. Between that game and the eventual RE4 reboot there were: CODE: Veronica, REmake and Zero -- all classic survival horrors, with static camera angles, tank controls etc.

The reason RE4 changed so much in the formula was because REmake and Zero didn't sell that well, not because RE3 - a game released on old console (by that time Dreamcast was already released or was about to be released, and PS2 was just one year away) - didn't sell so well as RE2 - the game released in the peak of PS1 popularity.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
It still wasn't a critical disappointment though. As far as commercial I can't speak for that, but the game reviewed well upon release.

But not as well as RE2. Hence the critical disappointment. Critical disappointment doesn't mean a game reviewed poorly. It just means it didn't achieve the expected scores (i.e. scores that at least match RE2's).

The reason RE4 changed so much in the formula was because REmake and Zero didn't sell that well, not because RE3 - a game released on old console (by that time Dreamcast was already released or was about to be released, and PS2 was just one year away) - didn't sell so well as RE2 - the game released in the peak of PS1 popularity.

The original formula's decline in popularity began with RE3. Even when it launched, it was widely considered to be a game that would only appeal to fans of the first two games. The spin-offs, remakes and prequels only continued that trend until Capcom realized that they needed to make drastic changes in order to appeal to a broader audience.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can think of at least dozens of different ways Capcom could have remade RE2, but for REmake remake I honestly can't think of many at all because REmake pretty much the perfect remake since it fixed a lot of the issues with the original and added more on top of it. But hey, if Capcom can find a way, they have my trust and money.

Oct 25, 2017
Give me RE1 with:
the canon ending
truly separate stories for Chris and Jill
mini stories for Rebecca and Barry
unlockable Wesker campaign.

Oct 27, 2017
REmake is one of the best games ever made, still looks and plays great and is now delightfully unique. It has its own very distinct atmosphere and vibe.

It's far more important to get RE3 done so we have the full numbered series playable on modern consoles.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind seeing this eventually, as the narrative is stiff enough that it would be improved greatly by the Resident Evil 2 remake approach. That being said, I want to see a lot of other games first. Resident Evil 3, Outbreak, Resident Evil 8, and Code Veronica (which is the game that clearly needs the most attention).

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love that, for sure. Hell I'd love a new remake or reimagining of Resident Evil 1 every couple generations. What I'd really love though is a Resident Evil 2 remake in the style of REmake.

As well as moving the series forward with new entries too of course.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, literally move on, 3 is next.

Also RE1 remake is still another league, like RE2 is really good but also kinda disappointing with how they butchered the A B scenarios.

RE3 next

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Putting aside that RE3 has enough to offer that could be expanded on if needed, there is really no point of remaking RE1 again for now when REmake is already a fine remake that is beloved and is on modern systems (including the switch in the future). At least RE3 and CV should get the chance to be remade first.

AVtechNICK

Dec 13, 2017
Could they have Chris Redfield in a RE3 remake?
Chris was on a "vacation under umbrella" all across Europe during the outbreak in Raccoon City. It's basically impossible to implement Chris in Resident Evil 3, unless it's some separate campaign with "detached" storyline or Chris becomes a playable character in Mercenaries mode.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I don't need yet another REmake. I hope they'll move on and make RE3 and Code: Veronica. And if Konami are not up for it, they should have Capcom do a remake of Silent Hill too.