• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy high FPS PC gaming but when I switch to console the restricted FOV affects my enjoyment more than the lower FPS.

Apparently the primary reason for lower FOV on consoles is that even though the TV screen is larger, you generally sit farther from a TV than you would from a computer monitor so the game takes up less of your actual field of view. I suspect this is less true these days considering how cheap and common 55"+ TVs are.

The other reason it's done is because a lower FOV means less of the world has to be drawn at any given time. Developers have been using this as a crutch for a long time to squeeze performance out of limited hardware.

Couple of examples I dug up on google..

BLOPS3
RsBeJad.jpg

D2
MU1Pezz.jpg

D2 on console isn't 65 but this shows off the difference between narrow and wide FOV

Even when console games do allow you to change the FOV, you're penalized with worse performance if you increase it since the game was tuned with the default setting.

Overly tight FOV can also contribute to motion sickness.

I don't think it's asking too much for next gen console games to not feel like I'm using moderately powerful binoculars.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
no it's not going to get better on consoles. playing at anything lower then 90 FOV is exhausting.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
FOV slider and ultrawide support should be standard features. Low FOV on consoles is to account for TVs at long distance where low FOV works fine but playing closer it feels like you have binoculars on, which is why it should just be adjustable to individual preferences.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
User banned (3 days): Platform wars
Console shooters have garbage FOV, more games should follow Battlefield 1 and offer proper FOV settings.

I guess most console players are casuals that don't care, hence why the demand is low.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
FoV sliders are becoming more and more common and I really hope that trend continues. CoD and Destiny are the big holdouts and it shows.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
They should allow a FOV slider as standard, and hopefully it shouldn't impact performance too much, but I hate using a high FOV on console.

It always reminds me of this

1.gif

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Some console games started implementing FOV sliders, hope the trend continues.

OP
OP
pj-

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FOV slider and ultrawide support should be standard features. Low FOV on consoles is to account for TVs at long distance where low FOV works fine but playing closer it feels like you have binoculars on, which is why it should just be adjustable to individual preferences.

People play on such a wide variety of configurations that it seems odd to use "small tv, large seating distance" as the default basis for choosing an FOV.

It would be nice if there was a system wide "preferred FOV" setting. They could even ask how big your tv is and how far you sit from it to suggest a reasonable value.