• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strongest opponent Data can defeat:

• Raditz

Votes: 55 56.1%
  • Vegeta

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Freeza

Votes: 10 10.2%
  • CelC

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Buu

Votes: 23 23.5%

• Total voters

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Rewatching TNG as background noise and it's reminding me of this again.

Think about Geordi for sec. Geordi seems like he's the smartest guy on the entire ship. Definitely the most bookish type of the major cast. He's even got his visor, which lets him see things no one else can't, and often makes him vital for recon. You can quickly see he's a character with some versatile abilities that gives him a solid niche on the team.

Oh wait, fuck, nevermind. We forgot Data. Data is smarter than Geordi will ever be thanks to his positronic brain, and as an added bonus, he knows fucking everything. Even on the odd case he doesn't know about a subject, he can just take a good ten minutes and read a library's worth of texts on the subject. And he also is able to see things humans can't due to his android eyes, except he doesn't even have to deal with the angst of not seeing the visible spectrum.

Well, smarts aren't everything, I guess. We've also got Worf, who is stronger than humans and has more finely toned combat instincts because of his Klingon physiology. Additionally, he proudly takes part in the warrior lifestyle, training in combat every day in the holodeck.

Oh wait, fuck that too. Data is just built so strong that Worf is pretty much a joke to him. None of that exercise crap necessary. In the first season itself, there are a number of episodes where Data just wanders alone into a surprise attack and defeats the opponent like it ain't no thing.

Basically the only weakness Data has is his social skills. He's not a doctor either, but it's hard to imagine that he can't just read through a bunch of medical textbooks and journals if push comes to shove, he probably just doesn't want to do the job without going through the proper procedure, in the same way that he attended Starfleet Academy normally while obviously being too fast and perfect a learner for human education programs.

And what's great is that Data is really just following the tradition of the original series, which also had a completely bullshit OP character in the way of Spock. They decided this guy would be the brain of the crew, the smartest and most rational one. Then the requisite one-per-episode brawl comes up. Kirk's moving with all the grace of your drunken uncle at Thanksgiving dinner while Spock is just casually strutting along, destroying people with pressure points like a kung fu master.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
I never really watched TNG but is there a reason the ship isn't run solely by OP androids and instead by measly humans and aliens?

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I never really watched TNG but is there a reason the ship isn't run solely by OP androids and instead by measly humans and aliens?
Because Data is a rarity, most androids up until that point where nowhere near as sophisticated as him. There's actually an episode where they debate whether or not the Federation should be able to inspect / disassemble Data in order to replicate his technology or if he should be treated like a sentient being.

OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

It's the same reason why most workplaces aren't all stocked with super geniuses, really. People have to want to become members of Starfleet. Worf is the only Klingon that signed up.

As for androids, the Federation doesn't have the technology to make another Data.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Because Data is a rarity, most androids up until that point where nowhere near as sophisticated as him. There's actually an episode where they debate whether or not the Federation should be able to inspect / disassemble Data in order to replicate his technology or if he should be treated like a sentient being.

And by "rarity" we mean "only one of his kind", just to be clear.

No, I'm not counting Lore or the Borg, for obvious reasons.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England

There are only a couple of other androids on Data's level. One is his brother, Lore, who is evil for reasons. Another was Lal, Data's daughter that he created and who ultimately failed.

soda mixer

Jul 4, 2018
I haven't watched the series in forever, but Data's advantages seemed to be heavily offset by an extreme vulnerability to hacking and sabotage. Pretty much once a season he was turned/on the verge of being turned against the ship and crew. Letting him run around without more failsafes in place was hella reckless.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Virtually every other episode uses data being an android as a vector for some cosmic space bullshit to fuck with the enterprise computer. I'd imagine a ship run solely by androids would be prime borg fodder.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Soong androids are unique and no one knows how to make em.

Can't be that hard...

GBHb9RI.gif

Nevermind.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I Remember in Voyager when they hit warp 10 and it eventually had Paris transform into a lizard thing with Captain Janeway and they fucked. And that was that.... OP might be right

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
There are several times in the show where Data's social naivety and rigid thinking is used against him. Not to mention he literally has an off switch. :p

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Because Star Trek sprung out of '60s pop futurism, when computers were still the size of a room and people didn't really know what their purpose was yet, and TNG picked up roughly where it left off.

Also, wouldn't that just be boring?

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
He will in the Picard series, where it'll turn out that he's discovered Android Instinct.
I hope Q returns in the Picard series. His interactions with Jean-Luc were some of the best in the entire series.

Back on topic, I don't remember Data could handle the Borg.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
TNG I think presented Data as more or less a freak accident of one scientist's research, precisely to avoid this problem. Basically no one knew how to make another one, so there were no more androids, except I guess for Data's twin brother

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't watched the series in forever, but Data's advantages seemed to be heavily offset by an extreme vulnerability to hacking and sabotage. Pretty much once a season he was turned/on the verge of being turned against the ship and crew. Letting him run around without more failsafes in place was hella reckless.

right? Like after the first time Data almost kills everyone on the ship, you'd think they'd get his ass off and far away from command.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
Well, i guess you're not completely wrong there OP... alas, you can analyse everything to death if you chose so.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
TNG I think presented Data as more or less a freak accident of one scientist's research, precisely to avoid this problem. Basically no one knew how to make another one, so there were no more androids, except I guess for Data's twin brother

And his mom.

And B4. But we don't talk about B4.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All this "Data is one of a kind" AI stuff kind of falls apart when you have characters like The Dr. in Voyager or the Lounge singer in Deep Space Nine.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Data and the borg are... complex. I take it you erased the movies from your mind? They use Data to "hack" the borg in their original first encounter and he puts them all to sleep.
Only watched some parts of First Contact and Generations. But yes, I remember Data was important to shut down the Borgs in Best of Both Words.

Meant physically. Worf can't even handle the Borgs using his strength, and I don't recall if Data was forced to use his against them.

Although, Worf can't ever catch a break. He is the jobber of Star Trek.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Data isn't even the goofiest "overpowered" thing in TNG though, what about Q or the Borg?

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
All this "Data is one of a kind" AI stuff kind of falls apart when you have characters like The Dr. in Voyager or the Lounge singer in Deep Space Nine.

Now we're starting to talk about holograms, which at least in-universe is a completely different can of worms. In the Trek universe there seems to be a massive gulf between android tech and AI.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the first season itself, there are a number of episodes where Data just wanders alone into a surprise attack and defeats the opponent like it ain't no thing.

I actually loved that one time Data just fucked up a Borg like it was nothing. It was great that they used him very sparingly in actual combat because it made it stand out more.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only watched some parts of First Contact and Generations. But yes, I remember Data was important to shut down the Borgs in Best of Both Words.

Meant physically. Worf can't even handle the Borgs using his strength, and I don't recall if Data was forced to use his against them.

Although, Worf can't ever catch a break. He is the jobber of Star Trek.

Data gets weird with the borg in one of the movies.

big_1444654999_image.jpg

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Worf levels up in DS9. Snapping Jem'Hadar and Vorta necks like nobody's business.

Everyone always says this, but honestly most of DS9 is Worf just getting his ass kicked. He has like 2 or 3 good fights near the end, but most of the time he's knocked out by something frail or weak over and over again.

OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, another one of Data's powers I forgot. He's fully functional and anatomically correct.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017

It's the same reason why most workplaces aren't all stocked with super geniuses, really. People have to want to become members of Starfleet. Worf is the only Klingon that signed up.

As for androids, the Federation doesn't have the technology to make another Data.

There are only a couple of other androids on Data's level. One is his brother, Lore, who is evil for reasons. Another was Lal, Data's daughter that he created and who ultimately failed.

Ah, okay. Makes sense.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Data take over the entire ship because he knew all of Picard's passwords and could mimic his voice? That seems like an oversight.

Oct 25, 2017
Because Star Trek sprung out of '60s pop futurism, when computers were still the size of a room and people didn't really know what their purpose was yet, and TNG picked up roughly where it left off.

Also, wouldn't that just be boring?

Beyond that, Star Trek takes place in a pretty humanistic future. We've automated out the drudgery of existence, but people still want to fly their own ships and explore themselves. They specifically say in an episode of Voyager "we have the technology just to send unmanned probes out in the universe to do that exploring, but that's not what we want to do."

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Data take over the entire ship because he knew all of Picard's passwords and could mimic his voice? That seems like an oversight.

There are a lot of weird almost anachronistic things about the tech in Star Trek, including the fact that security amounts of voice recognition and five word passwords. Some of that is budget but there are also things like that in the future despite having the equivalent of tablets, they can only hold one report or analysis at a time.