• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
This is fucking with me...

You know how people say if intelligent beings (aliens) were out there, there would be signs of them? Or why dont they contact us?

...well if WE lived long enough, why dont WE come back from the future to visit ourselves?

The more and more I think about it, the more I freak out. The human race is surely extinct. We have evidence of this RIGHT NOW. Surely someone, somewhere in the future would have figured out a way.... to visit us? Right?

....OH FUCK!

Someone calm me down pls... Im wigging out over here.

I just finished watching interstellar.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
This would assume time travel is possible, which it very well may not be.

but also, seems pretty likely at this point that humanity doesn't live long enough to invent it even if it is.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
This is why I'm wondering if time travel will ever be possible. It would be really cool if it was, but then there would be people from the future visiting us.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I've taken a lot of drugs in my day. My only advice is to just relax and go with the flow. Maybe throw on some Grateful Dead or go for a short walk. Just don't look in the mirror for a while.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
If future us is choosing to come visit this timeline, it'll be purely be like how you observe an animal in a zoo.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
A species working hard to cause its own extinction doesn't have time to develop the technology to travel back in time. This should be pretty obvious.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I've taken a lot of drugs in my day. My only advice is to just relax and go with the flow. Maybe throw on some Grateful Dead or go for a short walk. Just don't look in the mirror for a while.
Vex I am from the future - I just have to tell you don't listen to this advice if you do it will change everything. Look in that mirror and then look at your hands, I mean really look at your hands man.

Not a Horse

Aug 15, 2018
Because we're assholes.

If we visited us, we'd kill us.

It's probably best we just avoid us all together. Onward and upward.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Backward time travel is very likely not possible. But if humans get to a point where it is, who is to say they aren't traveling back to our time, but also using those same tools to erase their presence from the timeline?

When you get into exotic sci-fi stuff, anything becomes possible, which also serves to make the question kinda paradoxically boring.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Maybe they figured out a way to watch from a safe distance.

duckblind-insurrection.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming Time Travel is possible, Time Traveler's biggest priority would be to be as inconspicuous as possible to avoid detection. If they land here with a big show and public hello, it would likely get them killed/swarmed/attacked- basically the equivalent of taking off your helmet in space. Anyone qualified to Time Travel will be sure to stay the fuck hidden and blend in.

CJSeven

Oct 30, 2018
I think they figured out the time travel piece, but haven't solved for the "where in the universal space do you end up when you do travel" problem. Lots of travelers stranded floating in empty space.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
this is very silly OP

the reality of the matter is that we just live in a very awful and boring time; it's like the dark ages. all the cool time travel destinations are either super far before us or super far after.

we really need to work on our temporal marketing.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Time travel to the same place isn't possible because the entire galaxy and its contents are constantly moving. If someone attempted to time travel in the future, they are most likely dead or stuck in dark space or other corner of the galaxy.

Oct 28, 2017
I think they figured out the time travel piece, but haven't solved for the "where in the universal space do you end up when you do travel" problem. Lots of travelers stranded floating in empty space.
Time travel to the same place isn't possible because the entire galaxy and its contents are constantly moving. If someone attempted to time travel in the future, they are most likely dead or stuck in dark space or other corner of the galaxy.
Pretty sure trajectory physics are simpler to solve than the time aspect of Spacetime Travel.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
No, because there are long, convoluted ways to compensate for that. Ways that surely someone has thought about for a screenplay somewhere

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
How many edibles did you eat after 45 mins of nothing happening OP?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
This is fucking with me...

You know how people say if intelligent beings (aliens) were out there, there would be signs of them? Or why dont they contact us?

...well if WE lived long enough, why dont WE come back from the future to visit ourselves?

The more and more I think about it, the more I freak out. The human race is surely extinct. We have evidence of this RIGHT NOW. Surely someone, somewhere in the future would have figured out a way.... to visit us? Right?

....OH FUCK!

Someone calm me down pls... Im wigging out over here.

I just finished watching interstellar.
If time travel is possible and the past can be changed, eventually someone will, intentionally or accidentally, inevitably create a timeline in which time travel is never discovered by humans. That timeline can't be changed through time travel, since we never discover it.

Effectively, time travel is impossible. It will always lead to it never being discovered.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This would assume time travel is possible, which it very well may not be.

but also, seems pretty likely at this point that humanity doesn't live long enough to invent it even if it is.
I suspect time travel is only forward not backwards. like how you can leave your twin on earth and come back and they are older than you based on special relativity.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I would go back in time and get another obviously or I would lose it from backwards flow, Benjamin Button Style!
But you would then create a timeline where you have fraud dupe scratchers and your new timeline puts you in jail :o

No but seriously as far as we understand the flow of time it can't be forced to go backwards, you can slow your space in it in relation to other things but not go backwards.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
You have to ask yourself if spacetime is a unified concept (vs space and time) what makes the time dimension different from the 3 spatial dimensions?

It feels different, but we don't know why. All the math works out such that a particle traveling forward in time is the same as a particle with complementary properties travelling back in time.

Also ask yourself about the nature of quantum uncertainty.

Before observation, a particle is in a distribution of places.

After observation it collapses to a specific place.

But when you look away again it doesn't "unsnap" into possibility again. Why is that?