• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Not a lot of NRS mentions lol
I wouldn't even believe someone if they did nominate a NRS game for this topic. It's just not possible.

I can set aside my distaste for something as disappointing as SFV to understand how others might find it satisfying to play, but I can't do the same with any NRS game. They feel like absolute stilted dogshit to play.

Maximilian

The Dood
Verified
Feb 19, 2019
Oh look, a 3rd Strike thread.

I'm honestly shocked so many have said KI 2013 as well. DoubleHelix used 3rd Strike as a design model when first figuring out how the combat would feel and act.

UMVC3 gets a special nod as it for sure is the best 'feeling' Marvel Vs Capcom title, even if I have several gripes with it's core mechanics.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I'm a big fan of Street Fighter: Alpha 3. Just feels faster and easier to combo than the main Street Fighter games.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly shocked so many have said KI 2013 as well. DoubleHelix used 3rd Strike as a design model when first figuring out how the combat would feel and act.
Really? Hm. I wonder what they took as inspiration from 3S in particular, because KI 2013 feels like a completely unique creation from a fighting game design standpoint.

And you shouldn't be shocked. There is a sizable-ish contingency of KI fanatics around here, myself included. Still the best online experience I've ever had with a fighting game and my personal favorite of this past generation.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
3D: the Dead or Alive series, particularly 2U and 3 come to mind (I didn't spend enough time with 5 or 6, but they probably count too).
It's built upon Vitua Fighter framework, but feels a little easier and more newcomer friendly. The counter mechanism is kinda rubbish, but that has little to do with "feel" of the gameplay. The characters, pretty much all of them, feel good to play.

2D: I'll need to think about this for a while, but when talking about games that are easy to get into on a first try... Melty Blood.
Something about it just clicks. I'm not a huge fan of the character designs, but the gameplay just feels great. I wish they'd port it to consoles, since my PC doesn't like to let me stream it properly for whatever reason, so I barely play it.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Not a lot of NRS mentions lol.
I really like NRS games and hell, I LOVE MK11 but I simply can't in good faith put them up there in terms of "feel". It's really the mechanics and insanity of characters in NRS games that I find really appealing but in terms of the raw feeling of hitting an opponent or doing combos, there's other games that just feel more visceral and satisfying.

They've definitely improved in MK11 on that front, I will give them that but I don't think this is a category they're gonna be at the top of the genre in any time soon.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Smash Bros Melee is the best feeling game I've ever played, fighting or otherwise. It's sublime.

ajl19

Oct 28, 2017
Agree with the comments that SFV feels great to play. Hits have a real sense of weight and impact. This is something that the 3D KOF games failed miserably at.

In terms of sprite-based fighters, I still have a soft spot for SF2 HF. That game feels amazing, again largely due to the perceived impact of attacks. Super and ST were a downgrade in this regard.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Tekken 3 is probably still the best-feeling fighting game I've played.

For sprite-based games, SF2 and KoF '94 are probably also up there.

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Virtua Fighter 5. It's not super popular due to the kinda dull aesthetic and the fact that most characters are basically impossible to successfully mash with, but if you take the time to main someone it really is like nothing else. The fighters have such varying styles and I just can't get the feeling of fighting with Akira, Shun Di, or Lei-Fei anywhere else.

Here's hoping the new VF announcement is for something worthwhile.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Smash. I feel like these games give me great agility and control that exceed what most fighters have.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Guilty Gear franchise (& GG adjacent franchises like BlazBlue). It's kind of the same reason why I think Bayonetta is above everything else in the character-action genre. There's just this smoothness & space for improvisation/skillful variety thanks to the combination of relatively forgiving timing windows and decently meaty number of combos & special moves that can be connected in a variety of ways. Games like Street Fighter just feel a bit rigid in comparison and others that are closer to GG are often a bit lacking in the move/combo-variety side even if they reach GG's gameplay otherwise.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast. Nothing beats that freedom to rotate around your opponent, the combat was more about timing and measuring distance than memorizing combos. The pace of the fights was so addictive.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
To me, the Tekken series feels better to play than any other fighting game out there. By a huge margin.

Interesting to see that not many others here seem to agree. I play fairly casually, though.

Maximilian

The Dood
Verified
Feb 19, 2019
Really? Hm. I wonder what they took as inspiration from 3S in particular, because KI 2013 feels like a completely unique creation from a fighting game design standpoint.

Mostly the nuanced mechanical stuff. Blockstun, hitstun, pushback, proximity, tech range, the weird details people don't usually see but feel.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Marvel 3. Even at the scrubbiest of levels hitting buttons and doing the most basic of LMHS jMMHS into super feels so good to do.

Melee is also incredible. Props to people who can play that and Ultimate becuase Ultimate feels like actual, pure garbage to control.

Also 2 button dashes are the best thing ever.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Capcom VS SNK 2, Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Marvel VS Capcom 1 are all up there in terms of feeling fucking amazing to land hits in.

Smash has always been pretty good in this regard too. My personal favorite is the original N64 Super Smash Bros. Hits feel impactful as fucking hell.