• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
Its definitely UMVC3 for me. I never got into the real meat of the mechanics much but every character I messed around with in training mode felt exactly how they should.

Third strike is also up there. Street Fighter 4 always felt like molasses to me in comparison.

For me, that honour goes to Pokken Tournament DX, the gameplay feel is so nice to get to grips with, the battle mechanics feel great too with the 2D/3D switching phases, and attack triangle being simple enough but certain moves have additional nuances, and EVERY character playing completely different from one another in terms of moves, their goals and just outright gameplay feel. and it especially feels great when you find a character you gel with, and for me that character is Garchomp mainly, his offensive bruiser playstyle feels so good in this game to me, and with plenty of tricks in his disposal (especially his corner pressure strings) he feels very capable

(kind of got a bit mashy there at the end of that combo, my apologies haha)

I friggin LOVE Pokken and I wish it got more attention personally.

While I wouldnt personally pick this game I will say the free weekend this game had a while ago was a ton of fun. I even kept playing it a couple weeks after it ended. Super underrated fighter on the Switch.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, and Dead or Alive and SoulCalibur are the most fun 3D fighters because they're the most button mash-friendly. You always get something satisfying no matter what you do.

Nov 13, 2017
(U)MvC3. For me what ruined Infinite more than the visuals and presentations was the change from LMHS magic series to the new button scheme.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Reminds me in the early to mid-90s arcades our favorite and most funny game was World Heroes 2 and this was my favorite character and stage. Especially the VS mode was the funniest thing ever in a fighting game

db9c40c162ae0a2093b1a2afe45ec0db.gif

latest

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
For me its smash bros ultimate and its not even close. Every attack feels great, pulling off sick combos feels great, for me personally its pretty close to the best feeling combat in a game ever

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chalking this up as a troll post because you can't seriously be saying SFV is a clown pick then name dropping IV.

Loved the SFIV games to bits but it feels clunky AF compared to III and V.

It's no 3S or VS but it's leagues better than SFV. At least it managed to carry over some ST elements. SFV is a mess with dumbass crush counter shit and input lag. You've clearly never played on a cab.

Fucking Under Night In Birth feels better than SFV.

If I were to pick my tops it would be 3S, VS, Alpha 2. SF4 still takes a hot dump on 5.

Last edited:

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Street Fighter V and Tekken 7.

I have some personal issues with the buffer system in soul calibur 6, so that's 3rd.

honestly though, all the mainline street fighters, tekkens and soul caliburs feel good, with the latest ones feeling great. That's why I love these series. It's fun to just lab it up and play the cpu in these games for me.

I also think UMVC3 is the best feeling VS game. Though I think MVCI has the better gameplay system/mechanics.

of non Namco/capcom stuff, I really like how Breakers Revenge feels.

Something that I don't love the feel of is the new Samurai Shodown. And I wish I did. It just doesn't feel right and I don't enjoy just playing the cpu and dicking around in practice mode.

Last edited:

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Melee is still unmatched in game feel. The schmovement feels too good.

MvC3, DBFZ, Xrd also feel great. Shoutouts to the +R audio design for elevating some movesets to pure fighting game bliss. That Tyrant Rave sound effect is too good

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I'd never played the series before, but when I played The King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match earlier this year, I was blown away by how good the game felt to play. Gotta give it to SNK. Like, damn. Will likely check out more of those games in 2021.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
SF2. Every character is different and feels satisfying to control. You could easily mount a comeback by simply outplaying your opponent, while newer fighting games have too many gimmicks that either prevent that or make it too easy. It may be cliche to say, but the genre peaked early.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
Budokai Tenkaichi 1/2/3 were all incredibly unbalanced but they were the first games that legitimately let me feel like I was simulating a fight in DBZ.
After playing every DBZ game from Dragon Power to Budokai 3, it was groundbreaking for me to play as so many characters on a leveling field that reflected the power levels those characters had in the show.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
My favorite by far is Tekken. The controls are so intuitive, with one face button per limb. It's easy to guess the inputs for many moves just by looking at them.

Compared to the likes of Virtua Fighter, I much prefer the character physics, the movement, and the impact of the animations.

Super Smash Bros. Melee is on my shortlist of best controlling games ever.
This too.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I actually love the way MvCI feels. Too bad it looks awful.

I think of all fighting games in comparison to SFA3, mostly because it was the first one I became obsessed with and put effort into learning to play.

Last edited:

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Injustice 2 as Green Arrow or Green Lantern.

Don't @ me.

Lol yes I'm serious. But not at the number 1 spot I must admit.
I actually love the movement in UNIST a LOT. Same with MvC1.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's no 3S or VS but it's leagues better than SFV. At least it managed to carry over some ST elements. SFV is a mess with dumbass crush counter shit and input lag. You've clearly never played on a cab.

Fucking Under Night In Birth feels better than SFV.

If I were to pick my tops it would be 3S, VS, Alpha 2. SF4 still takes a hot dump on 5.
Input lag in SFV is currently 4.5 frames, about the same as most fighting games. So there's that.

p.s. crush counters feel great. :)

Because apparently people that like SFV have to explain ourselves, reasons why SFV feels good to play to me:
-Top tier animation, a combination of mocap and hand-crafted keyframes, amplified by great use of anticipation, timing and key poses. The end result makes your attacks feel weighty and impactful.
-Varied, hard-hitting hit reactions on your opponent.
-Punchy sound design paired with awesome, colorful and stylish visual effects.
-Pitch perfect use of hit-stop and subtle camera shaking
-Reasonably responsive input response like I said just earlier.
-Easing on linking moves together also helps a lot to be honest.

There, buddy. All of this shit combined makes for something that delivers great audiovisual feedback into my eyes, ears and fingers.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Killer Instinct 2013 will always be the game I drop for these kind of threads because it's my favourite fighting game and nothing that has come before or after topples it in my opinion. Honourable mention goes to UMvC3 though if we're talking about the "feel", characters like Zero just feel great to control as they zip around the screen. That was one of my many complaints about Marvel Infinite. Trying to play Zero in Infinite in comparison to 3 and it's just night and day, Infinite feels so much more clunky and unsatisfying.

I would also give a shout out to the Soul Calibur games as they have a great sense of "flow" to them.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
So far the best feeling comes from the first Killer Instinct.

Their charge back characters definitely felt better than anything Capcom had produced.

I still struggled to do combos but when I got into them they felt more organic than Tekken and Virtua Fighter (which were easier for me to pull off once I memorized the sequences).

I really don't get how the dev team messed things up so much with KI2. I Hated playing that sequel.

maks

Oct 27, 2017
Garou MOTW is the most rounded out for me. Hit-stun, block-stun, parry, the animations and sounds that come along with it...all feel really right and satisfying.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Melee is too fucking good at this, I recently started playing more seriously thanks to slippi and my god, it's such a fascinating game to practice. I play Sheik and it's probably one of the most fun characters i've picked up in any fighting game period.

More modern games like dbfz feel so good too, from learning the basic auto combo extended bnbs up to all the crazy shit you can pull off after time practicing, there's a great sense of accomplishment due to how gorgeous that game looks.

SC II and VI are one's i play regularly, and arguably I franchise i like more, but I woulnd't put them above Fighterz or Melee. Alpha 2 deserves a shout too, damn that game is so fucking fun.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is one reason I keep referring Power Rangers Battle for the Grid. It just FEELS good to play.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Marvel 3.

I've played pretty much every modern fighting game and not one even compares in my mind. It just feels perfect. By far the funnest game to lab.