• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 49185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
How long ago was the last printing though?
I want to say within the last year. Sometimes the reprint is for a full pack of all the Dreamcast games.

It's maybe not much of a consolation prize, but it looks like Gunlord X will be coming to us soon via the Nintendo Switch anyway.

VGDpyh4l.png

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...nning_towards_switch_under_the_name_gunlord_x

Last edited:

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
The 8-bit pixel look has been done to death. I want more retro games to emulate the look and feel of late 80s & 90s arcade games.
There's waaay more flexibility to scratch that retro itch without skimping too much on detail.

Favorite inspirations:

WarpedDecentBabirusa-size_restricted.gif
1052657901.jpg
CRGbDO.gif

GI-Joe-gif.gif
wX_Multiply.png

tumblr_pipm1iyfKC1ug2uiho3_500.gif

EDIT: Posted early.
EDIT EDIT: Forgot to post GIF Heavy warning in the title.

From Capcom's versatile CPS games to Irem's mind-blowing art and animation, there's so much for devs to take inspiration from. Granted, with higher detail comes more art requirements, but God would I want to see more pixel art like Metal Slug, In The Hunt or Super Baseball Bat Man.

Mr. Fluffles, I definitely feel where you're coming from, as I too love old retro games particularly from that specific era. With that having been said my friend, I implore you to google a little known emulator called MAME, and thank me later :)

Seriously, these new wannabe "retro" 2D games do not compare to the real thing. That's why MAME is, and will forever be the greatest invention in the history of computer software. Nothing comes close.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands

If you like those chunky arcade graphics and own a Switch there are some great Neo Geo titles. I highly recommend Shock Troopers and there are many other gems out there

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
8 bit isn't the problem, you have some indies that look authentic and great like Shovel Knight. The problem is that many indies don't look like that and go for a "fat pixel" look, or they have some weird filters and overuse shiny modern particle effects

MNKsE0zcIJPZR-9ohHo_hAeiWQnT3090CkXGO1Sn1wkJVkwzdBm6IqXVkjZg6UTljco=h900

0ccd96756eacb895dc16d01b66ee7354.jpg

spearthrow2.gif

I get what you are saying, but I think pixel art is a style that has many different looks and interpretations, and those are equally as valid as creative choices and not a problem at all.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
There is some missing the forest for the trees going on here. The onus is not on indie devs here, though there are some indie devs who are completely capable if interested as has already been demonstrated.

Larger studios are just as capable of going back into the unbelievably massive arcade library and learning a thing or two. Platinum does it, even Capcom on rare occasion knocks it out of the park here still.

It is much more diverse than SNK pixel art. Or even just art direction by itself. It is a deep well of ideas that often at best you see bizdevs look at and say, "they had some good monetization ideas" ignoring everything else.

OP
OP
Don Fluffles

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017

If you like those chunky arcade graphics and own a Switch there are some great Neo Geo titles. I highly recommend Shock Troopers and there are many other gems out there

Shock Troopers is so good.

I'd do terrible things for more modern games with this aesthetic.

I get what you are saying, but I think pixel art is a style that has many different looks and interpretations, and those are equally as valid as creative choices and not a problem at all.

Fair point. I've just become tired of the lo-fi pixel look. I wanna see more games go for that higher res pixel art.