• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Several remakes" implies it's a long-running series but I have doubts they'd let someone else work on remakes for Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy. I'm personally rooting for DQ but idk I feel like this won't be that big of a deal for me.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I thought that other pitch (the Dennis Dyack one) looked intriguing.

DBVGLkaVwAEPok0

DBVGPo7VYAAWqLz
Yo this looks nice.

Deleted member 68874

Banned
May 10, 2020
Forever getting such a huge cut rules this out as being a major franchise imo. Square isnt give 50%+ of the revenue for FF or Dragon Quest remakes.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Looking at Forever's portfolio, this is definitely a PS1 era IP with multiple entries. The only two franchises I can think of are Parasite Eve and Legacy of Kain, and I'm leaning towards the latter.

Samus95

Jun 18, 2020
Are we sure is not a mistake, because remakes base on 1 ip sound strange

Also Square will not give 50% on FF or DQ, so it must be dead

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
more than 50% of the revenue of each game? Is this a usual type of deal?
If not, I wonder if Square Enix is just trying to make a little money with unused properties or if they want to create some public visibility for a franchise they want to build new entries for and cash out on later?
Yeah that's what was getting me too. Although they do say "several" remakes in this unknown series. Not many SE niche games come to mind with having multiple games to remake.

I'm thinking Front Mission or Legacy of Kain.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
I'm getting Grin vibes about Forever, but not quite as good. Grin took on way too much work and just imploded at some point (Square Enix pulling out of their big project the main factor!) , and Forever feels to be headed in a very similar direction. Wasn't a fan of the art direction on their Panzer remake at all either, so they have a lot to prove.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Forever Ent. usually works with 3D. Legacy of Kain could be a good possibility.

Yeah this is going to be PS1 or later titles I think. Probably something from the Eidos catalog since there's a bunch of Japanese companies like M2, ArtePiazza, and Access they've used for their re-releases of Japanese titles when they don't do it in-house.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like these guys should slow down? The Panzer Dragoon remake was good, but it had a rough launch and it definitely felt like a lower budget project. Stuff like House of the Dead seems right up their alley as it's more rail shooters but taking on several projects in a series like Legacy of Kain seems ill-advised for a smaller team.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like these guys should slow down? The Panzer Dragoon remake was good, but it had a rough launch and it definitely felt like a lower budget project. Stuff like House of the Dead seems right up their alley as it's more rail shooters but taking on several projects in a series like Legacy of Kain seems ill-advised for a smaller team.

It's possible the success of Panzer Dragoon Remake has allowed them to expand some.

Samus95

Jun 18, 2020
The only ones from the ps1 era i can think about are Front Mission and Parassite Eve, i was thinking Tomb Raider but their are not gonna gove them TB remakes

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Whatever happened to that Fear Effect remake? Weren't they involved in that?

Also how big is this team? They seem to be taking a lot of projects under their belt lately between the SEGA stuff and now this.

Still, bringing back old IP's I remember from the PS1 days is definitely something I'm on board with.

Samus95

Jun 18, 2020
Whatever happened to that Fear Effect remake? Weren't they involved in that?

Also how big is this team? They seem to be taking a lot of projects under their belt lately between the SEGA stuff and now this.

Still, bringing back old IP's I remember from the PS1 days is definitely something I'm on board with.
This info come from a podcast like in 2018/2019, a spokeperson of FE said that FE was given to the team of Panzer Dragoon remake, implyng a reboot, also Sunshee died(the team behind Sedna)

It liste as in development at Megapixel(PD remake ecc)

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Them making 50% of the money from it makes me really doubt it's anything as big as Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest

"Multiple games" also rules out Xenogears and Einhander (I really would have guessed the latter otherwise).

Which IMO leaves...

• Parasite Eve 1 & 2 (if they can figure out that license)
  • Tobal
  • Bushido Blade
  • Chrono (if they feel comfortable remaking one 2D game)
  • Brave Fencer Musashi
  • Valkyrie Profile
  • Star Ocean
  • Space Invaders
  • Bubble Bobble

Koivusilta

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
This is totally going to be some really obscure old Taito IP, isn't it? Or something really minor from the Enix side, like Bust A Groove.

Still, pretty interesting news, considering the Fear Effect remake that was originally announced for 2018 release is nowhere to be seen, and even the official Twitter for that seems to have gone silent over a year ago.

Last edited:

Duonala

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt they will let them handle important projects like FF8 or Chrono Trigger.
I would assume those kind of games Square would want to keep for themselves(Perhaps for after the FF7 games end?), especially with that 50%.

Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story are more likely to get picked.
Oh, and Threads of Fate too, I could see it happening.
They're short and interesting games, which I believe fits perfectly for a first project to see how it fares.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's still not quite as good as the original, and the art direction leaves a lot to be desired.

As someone who slogged through the original, I disagree! It plays so much better now.

But the art direction's the kind of thing no one's ever going to agree on because despite how much I love Panzer Dragoon's aesthetic on the Saturn it's not really something that can be hard replicated in 2020 using modern graphics. "Desolate" means something different now than it did in 1995.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Imagine if we got Super Mario RPG except with all Mario characters replaced with spiky haired teens.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Forever Entertainment just a publisher? I know the Panzer remake was developed by MegaPixel Studio in Poland and they're also doing Zwei and HOTD1-2.