• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
https://insideevs.com/news/382011/ford-confirms-electric-suv-mach-e/
Autocar was almost right: the Mustang-inspired electric SUV Ford will start delivering next year will be called Mach-E. A hyphen was missing. Joking aside, we could not expect the British magazine to get that sort of minutiae from a chat with Darren Palmer, Ford's Global Product Development Director for Battery Electric Vehicles. Anyway, you already know how to properly call it.

The official unveiling will be on Sunday, with Idris Elba there to emcee the proceedings, and once the presentation is done, Ford will take reservations for a refundable $500 deposit.

Other things of note
Range
The targeted EPA range is 300 miles (483 km), when equipped with an extended battery and rear-wheel drive. The European Ford press releases sayup to 600 km (370 miles, says Ford) of range under the WLTP test cycle.

The most important conclusion is that there will be not only the extended battery but also simply a standard battery option, with less capacity, less range and priced more affordably.
Drivetrain
In the case of drive, it was obvious from the start that the "performance" BEV requires use of a dual-motor all-wheel-drive system (with one electric motor per axle).
The latest official message confirms that there will be a rear-wheel-drive version too.
The charging power also was confirmed at 150 kW in the case of the extended battery version (the smaller pack probably will be rated at lower power).
Press release leak?
And here's the relevant information that was recently released by Electrify America when confirming the tie-up with Ford.
"Ford will be releasing its all-new, Mustang-inspired electric SUV, that has a targeted EPA-estimated range of 300 miles with an extended battery and rear-wheel drive, in late 2020.* The vehicle's 150kW charging ability will allow very quick charging speeds on Electrify America's 150 to 350kW network.** Ford estimates that its all-new, all-electric Mustang-inspired SUV will be capable to charge up to 47 miles in 10 minutes using Electrify America DC fast chargers, providing peace of mind for customers to be able to charge in minutes, not hours."
Charging
  • ≈150 kW (peak) charging capability in extended battery version
  • up to 47 miles (75.6 km) of range in 10 minutes
  • from 10% to 80% in 45 minutes[/quote
And here's a spy image of what to expect.
ford-mustang-inspired-electric-suv.jpg

This is going to be huge, Tesla better be worried...

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
More EV cars the better! Got my 2017 Volt Hybrid a few days ago but when EV cars get cheaper I am going for one.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Someone took a camera into Greenfield Village to get some Ford Test Track photos, I see.

Seems this is aimed at the type of people who like the luxury-brand crossovers.

More EVs is good, but the march towards larger vehicles is weird.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks like a fat Mustang, can't say I'm a fan of them broadening the use of the Mustang brand name. The specs sound intriguing and it will be very interesting to see how this competes with mid-range EV's.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Looks like another generic crossover. Bleh

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They better cover the whole thing in gorilla glass because rednecks are going to key the shit out of them

EVs in general infringe on their freedom somehow, PLUS they're going to disrespect the mustang's name by slapping it on a compact suv?

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Call me old fashioned but i will always love my v8 mustang. Just the authentic sound of my v8 engine....I wanna go drive my car again right now.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
It's just odd that Tesla can make a regular sized car that gets >300 miles of range and drives like a Porsche, meanwhile every other vehicle manufacturer is coming out with bulky crossovers. I'm guessing it is intentional since sedans don't sell well these days. It's a shame because Ford could have put the Mustang name on a smaller, sporty electric vehicle and really made an impression.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Wut? You do realize this car will probably smoke the fat, old, ugly gasoline cars?
You uh, underestimate how defensive people get about the Mustang. Like when they brought back the four cylinder with a turbo model back in 2015. I love Mustangs and currently drive one, but a lot of Mustang guys are absolutely rigid about them having V8s despite the fact that many Mustangs since their introduction have had varying engines. Hell the first Mustangs were powered by straight sixes.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should have called it something else and left the Mach E for the electric coupe

OP
OP
twinturbo2

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
It's just odd that Tesla can make a regular sized car that gets >300 miles of range and drives like a Porsche, meanwhile every other vehicle manufacturer is coming out with bulky crossovers. I'm guessing it is intentional since sedans don't sell well these days. It's a shame because Ford could have put the Mustang name on a smaller, sporty electric vehicle and really made an impression.
Ford has over 115 years of experience building cars, the brand equity of an iconic segment creating pony car, and an actual dealer and service network across the world.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
Going EV is cool. Using the Mustang name on a shitty crossover is lame, but isn't surprising that Ford would do it.

I will never not laugh at one of these when they're out on the street.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
xjOuVmd.jpg

I love the idea of a modern hatchback/shooting brake Mustang, but this crossover shite ain't it.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
i just bought a condo and sadly there is no way since electric isn't metered in the detached garage.......along with the fact there are no plugs.

So owning any electric vehicle even if i wanted one is not possible. Hoping that future infrastructure makes it so it is though. I'd up my association fees $100 a month to put in EV spots, but i know no one else would.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I love the look of it

Reminds me of a Subaru

Like the sporty design, hatchback, high height and sizable tires

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I for one am excited to see the final product. wonder how fast it's gonna be, attaching the Mustang name to it tells me it's gonna scream.

also it's not like Ford is going to cease making the standard Mustang coupe anytime soon so I don't see what the big deal is.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
My brain read it as Mustache real quick. So now it's a Mustache instead.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
You uh, underestimate how defensive people get about the Mustang. Like when they brought back the four cylinder with a turbo model back in 2015. I love Mustangs and currently drive one, but a lot of Mustang guys are absolutely rigid about them having V8s despite the fact that many Mustangs since their introduction have had varying engines. Hell the first Mustangs were powered by straight sixes.
I think there is a difference between bedwetting over an engine choice change like you mentioned and this, though. Mustang evokes a relatively specific type of car/style.

This does none of that. Why not keep a similar style, but electric? Or if you're going to jump on the crossover train, come up with a different name? Explorer would seem to make more sense here.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agree with the folks saying Shooting Brake would be better and that this is going to do a LOT of harm to the Mustang brand among folks who think about V8s and Pony cars as unmolested by "new fangled bullshit."

I'm glad Ford is pushing electric forward, but there was no rational need to risk the brand identity of it's second most consistent vehicle after the F150.

The kind of person buying an electric SUV crossover does not give one shit about Pony cars.

WHO IS THIS BRANDING GOING TO WORK FOR?

I mean, spend two minutes on a Mustang forum and even dare mention that auto shifting is actually faster if you want to see what I mean. Even better, point out that electric powertrains have vastly more available torque than V8s. Or that a Tesla Model S D accelerates much faster than even a Roush or a high end Saleen.

Hell, people shat the bed when they made a four pot. That alone hurt the brand for a lot of diehards.

This is how to do it, if you had to, along with the cargo box on the previous page. Problem is that America traumatized itself with Detroit parts-bin "stationwagons" for thirty years, and the association with old people, moms, groceries and more importantly, slow, ungainly poorly engineered wobbly buckets of shit. Whereas in Europe and beyond, "Estate, Avant, Shooting Brake" etc bring up images of country gentlemen hunting grouse and probably being spies, of Audi Rs6's terrorizing the outback, and of Aston Martins screaming through icy woodlands.

Thank god Audi is bringing the RS 6 to America at last. My colleague put her name on the list. Those things are INSANE. A former work partner in NZ had an amazing RS6 Avant and blasted me around Wellington in it and I was practically stroking out from envy. Amazing comfort, sound, practicality and eye watering oomph. Being squished into those diamond stitched seats by acceleration while that engine burbles and howls around you is one of the best auditory experiences I've ever had. I like it better than air cooled Porsches or even V12s. Partly because those two also contain the sound of your bank account being depeleted by the mile.

K2eU2xh.jpg

1YZtEtq.jpg

Last edited:

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
A deluge of electric cars are coming soon. I'm going to hold out with my paid for Prius as long as possible so that I will have an actual selection of decent EVs to choose from.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
If you're gonna call it a mustang, have it look like a mustang. Just call this the Ford Fiesta Max Energi like a regular modern Ford name

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
xjOuVmd.jpg

I love the idea of a modern hatchback/shooting brake Mustang, but this crossover shite ain't it.
That looks like a European fast estate (wagon) like the RS4. I'd buy it in a heartbeat (because I can't afford an RS4!).

A deluge of electric cars are coming soon. I'm going to hold out with my paid for Prius as long as possible so that I will have an actual selection of decent EVs to choose from.

I got my most recent lease car on a 3 year contract because I know it's likely it's the last (pure) petrol car I'll ever have.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Exactly the same for me (well my Wife I suppose). Those fuckers never die! 100k on the clock and running fine. I've seen taxis with 200k on them.

brotherbean

Oct 26, 2017

That's a bingo. I've argued for years that if the Ecoboost 4cyl Mustangs were almost any other car, everyone would be drooling over them rather than deriding them as not-quite-a-Mustang. As an S550 GT owner, I admit I'm a little perturbed that a $24k turbo 4 can just about keep up (actually a skilled driver would obliterate me as I'm not the fastest shifter in the world), but I think that speaks more to what Ford has done with forced-induction small displacement engines than any real shortcomings of the Coyote platform.

As for the Mach-E...I'm intrigued and the more electric vehicles the better, but I do wish they'd avoid labeling it a "Mustang" given the hatch body style. What would really be great is an actual electric Mustang, and I'd be a bit surprised if that wasn't on someone's radar.