• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
The problem was definitely not known when I purchased mine. And had a previous Focus without issues.

I am talking in general. Just one drive in an equivalent car manufacturer in the same segment should steer many away from most US car companies. There's a reason why these brands are made for the rental industry.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The problem was definitely not known when I purchased mine. And had a previous Focus without issues.

Yep. I am still driving my 07 Focus that I've put 210k miles on. The thing has been a reliable tank the whole time I've owned it. I am finally looking to let it go this fall, and if it weren't for all this news I would definitely be looking at another Focus. But, fuck Ford at this point.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I am talking in general. Just one drive in an equivalent car manufacturer in the same segment should steer many away from most US car companies. There's a reason why these brands are made for the rental industry.

I rent cars on a weekly basis for my job and the car you see more than anything else on the lots is a Nissan Altima, followed by Toyota Camry, Toyota Corolla, some weird Hyundai, and a Chevy Impala. The only ford you will see on a consistent basis is a Mustang. You see more Kia Souls than you do Ford's or Dodge.

As far as foreign brands go, you cant just make a blanket statement as if they are all better than US offerings. Everyone ive known who has the previous model VW Jetta has had nothing but problems with the electrical system in that hunk of junk. Not to mention the stunt they pulled with the emissions.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've gotten plenty of Ford Taurus' from Avis when I travel for work. Hate that car, it's so unnecessarily big and feels like driving a freakin boat. I'd take any Hyundai or base model Golf over it any day.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yep. I am still driving my 07 Focus that I've put 210k miles on. The thing has been a reliable tank the whole time I've owned it. I am finally looking to let it go this fall, and if it weren't for all this news I would definitely be looking at another Focus. But, fuck Ford at this point.
Yeah I had one of those, then I went up to a 2011 Fiesta and have nothing but regrets. Ford will not be getting more of my money.

It's so close to being an awesome car, too. It's such a shame.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I've gotten plenty of Ford Taurus' from Avis when I travel for work. Hate that car, it's so unnecessarily big and feels like driving a freakin boat. I'd take any Hyundai or base model Golf over it any day.
Well a Taurus is a full sized car, so it'll be big. I appreciate it at least has a proper sized engine to match.

A Hyundai or Golf is a compact car. Just order or ask for those sizes assuming they're available.

Oct 27, 2017
Had a fiesta 2014 and loved it. Had zero problems. Guess I was lucky. Miss that car actually. But maybe it was just a matter of time like the rrod on launch 360s

Slash SeveN

Oct 25, 2017
Have a 2016 Fiesta and it's been great so far, so fingers crossed. I love that car and would hate to get rid of it.
We've always been a Ford Family (have a '95 ranger that's never had a problem, and we just got rid of a Ford Focus we put 350,000 miles on) but all it would really take for me to switch is a bad experience, we just haven't had any.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I rent cars on a weekly basis for my job and the car you see more than anything else on the lots is a Nissan Altima, followed by Toyota Camry, Toyota Corolla, some weird Hyundai, and a Chevy Impala. The only ford you will see on a consistent basis is a Mustang. You see more Kia Souls than you do Ford's or Dodge.

As far as foreign brands go, you cant just make a blanket statement as if they are all better than US offerings. Everyone ive known who has the previous model VW Jetta has had nothing but problems with the electrical system in that hunk of junk. Not to mention the stunt they pulled with the emissions.

My blanket statement is test drive other brands before you buy american.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
My blanket statement is test drive other brands before you buy american.

Which is still a crock because you are essentially saying please try a foreign anything else before you buy an American car. As if foreign cars are incapable of having problems.

Perform your research in general into any segment of cars regardless of their country of origin.

Oct 29, 2017
Shit like this is the reason why I prefer to row my own....

cdf.gif

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
After the all the recent news surrounding Boeing and now this, there's something fundamentally rotten at the core of management practices in US companies, where short-term cost savings are deemed more important than the long-term reputation of a company, or in the case of Boeing, preventing deaths. It's rampant!

cyress8

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
I looked into buying a Fiesta around the time they came out. Glad I didn't.

So pretty much the same as every Ford line of vehicles?
Not going to lie, but yea. Every single line seems to have some huge ass malfunction. The funniest one is always going to be the Crown Vic/Grand Marq ball joints falling out. They needed to do a recall on those.

Only good vehicle that we work on that holds up well are the Ford Rangers. Those are motherfucking beasts. Only need the occasional maintenance and they are gold. Have some guys in the upper 300k range on miles.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
+1, especially here in europe
Ford are still huge in Europe, tho. Though admittedly, they're only 'American' in the broadest possible sense here--pretty much all their European models are designed and built here, and plenty aren't actually sold in the US at all.

The Focus/Fiesta are designed and built in Europe though.
I'm pretty sure the only Fiesta sold in the US that's built in Europe is the ST. (Or was the ST, anyways--they've discontinued the Fiesta over there, right?)

In any case, both cars actually have a really good reputation for reliability over here... Probably because no one buys the automatic transmission models.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I had a 2001 Focus Hatchback that I ran until about 2007 I think until it was totalled, had 200k+ miles on it at the end. Only had one major issue with the key locking up. Other than that it ran great until the end. That said, yeah, I've not even considered a Ford since then.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
In the uk if you sell before year 5 you'll be okay with a Ford. If you hold for longer then be prepared for it to fall to pieces.

Oct 27, 2017
then you have done your h/w which is great.
Has he though? because the country of origin of the car company is meaningless compared to the country of manufacture and his entire statement revolved around the company's origin. Buying American is more likely to mean buying Toyota, Nissan, or Honda so I don't even know what you or he is talking about tbh.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
When it comes to cars, don't buy American. It's that simple. Japanese and Korean brands are driving circles around their American competitors in both price and performance. And safety.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure they made my Ford Fusion in Mexico. Turned out ok so far. 7 years old. Don't have a ridiculous amount of miles on it though.

My Toyota Camry is 16 years old.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
So where a multinational corporation originated from isn't semantic bullshit, but where the actual thing you are buying is made is semantic bullshit? Don't buy a car from this poster....

Yeah, its about the company that made the car, not where it actually gets assembled. Regardless of where the car is produced, the engineering that going into designing the car is dependent on the company.

TheQueensOwn

Oct 27, 2017
I could have sworn I received a letter from Ford at some point saying that the judder was a feature to make the automatic transmission feel more like a manual. I must have it somewhere filed away.

In any case, 2012 Focus Hatchback here at 140k. Been paid off for a couple years. Going to ride this car into the ground. Hopefully not sometime soon lol.

My last car was a 2005 Pontiac G6. Engine died at year 6. I sure can pick em'.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Ford is trying to PR their way out of this lawsuit.

Ford's North American powertrain executive quality manager, identifying himself only as "an engineer," on Monday went to the home of the Flint woman featured in the Free Press Out of Gear investigation about defective transmissions in Fiesta and Focus vehicles. He and another engineer inspected the car, then rode with her to a Ford dealership, replaced the transmission control module and left the dealership with no paperwork.

Of course, from what I recall of at least one lawsuit, the paperwork is required to make a claim....

Oh, and Ford isn't so good at actual PR.

"I can't explain it. These two guys supposedly worked together all these years but they didn't chitchat like friends or buddies or anything," she said. "Chris sat on one side of the waiting room and Jerry on the other side of the room, very quiet and working on his laptop."

Even the conversation left Hughes confused.

"In the car on the way back, we were talking about vehicles, and I said in the next couple years I would like to get a new one and is there one he would recommend that would be good," Hughes recalled. "He said the new Ford Bronco was coming out. I said, 'Yeah, I can't afford that.' He's like, 'me, neither.' "