• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
If anything, the leaks made me lower my expectations and, as a result, enjoy the game more than I would have if I had found out about all its shortcomings while I was playing the game.

Leakers did nothing wrong in my book.

So you guys are cool with people breaking NDA? Okay.

Most leakers didn't break any NDA because they didn't sign any NDA in the first place.

Jun 23, 2019
Lol Fuck Nintendo. I'm glad the leaks happened so I was able to see Game Freak's bullshit for myself before blindly buying the game and getting hit with it without ever knowing.

greenwell

Jan 12, 2018
If anything, the leaks made me lower my expectations and, as a result, enjoy the game more than I would have if I had found out about all its shortcomings while I was playing the game.

Leakers did nothing wrong in my book.

Most leakers didn't break any NDA because they didn't sign any NDA in the first place.
If you read the article you would see they're specifically targeting the guide book leaker only who mostly had a NDA.

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this about someone who leaked scans of the Guide hella early? Like wouldn't you have to be under some type of NDA in order to get access to the guide that early? Guide scans appeared weeks before the game was even out and scans of magazines in general tend to get you fucked, yet alone posting a scan of a guide where in order to even get access to said guide you would be under a heavy NDA.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
User Warned: Ableist slur
How dare people find out exactly what product they are purchasing before they pay for it.
I kinda get you, but lets be honest the complete pokedex (including all new pokes and the story) was leaked weeks before launch. One thing that is always fun with pokemon game is the WTF reaction when you find an unknown pokemon. But this time it was really hard for people to do so. Youtube recommends with Ftards putting said new pokemon in the thumbnail, twitter ect ect ect.

Maybe its a weird comparison, but if we found out what the story of The last of us 2 is weeks before launch or even worse the ending. Sony would probably do the same.

Its probably more of a scare tactic to make sure that this doesnt repeat with the next pokemon or nintendo game.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Small time artists don't get carte blanche to ignore copyrights.
Other large companies do do this all the time. Marvel is notoriously litigious. Maybe your friend can pivot to Avengers fanart if you're so certain they won't do the same.
Hows it feel to defend a capitalistic monstrocity

greenwell

Jan 12, 2018
I have now, and it's even worse. You think it's reasonable for a billion dollar corporation to ruin the lives of people who took a picture of... A strategy guide? You even told me to read the article as if you'd look sane after that?
Someone most likely broke a contract, knowing full well the risks. They deserve no sympathy.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I have now, and it's even worse. You think it's reasonable for a billion dollar corporation to ruin the lives of people who took a picture of... A strategy guide? You even told me to read the article as if you'd look sane after that?

You really have no clue about adult life do you? You break a contract that you willingly entered and you have to deal with the consequences. The leakers knew what they were getting themselves into and it's a scare tactic from Nintendo/TPCi, all companies do it.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Someone most likely broke a contract, knowing full well the risks. They deserve no sympathy.
You really have no clue about adult life do you? You break a contract that you willingly entered and you have to deal with the consequences. The leakers knew what they were getting themselves into and it's a scare tactic from Nintendo/TPCi, all companies do it.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't think we knew for a fact that these people signed an NDA? I sort of assumed the kind of person who did this would be way down the food chain in a warehouse or bookstore, saw the guides and took some pictures. However, if we know for a fact it's some higher up dude who signed an NDA than I am willing to concede.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
in fairness, the leaks stopped me and my 3 friends from buying copies at release.

glad I waited for the price drop.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
While I don't think anyone should be sued into oblivion over this I do kind of hope this acts as a warning to other people? The leaks were literally unavoidable on social media and they honestly just kind of fanned the flames of the controversy.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Good! I really dislike leakers. Respect the people who have worked on the game for years and who want to present the game the way they want to.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Well they sued the dude that leaked and started torrenting NSMB for Wii big time.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
It should be, yet as far as I know most of them didnt even mention the horrible Wild Area performance and lack of the GTS

Gotcha. I'm not here taking sides on all this nonsense, I just think the opinion "thank god for the leakers for showing the true game" is kinda silly. Once the game was out in the wild the information would have been out there with no leaker necessary, either via reviews, previews, Twitch streams, Twitter, or any other number of other social media and professional outlets.

That being said, this all sounds like Nintendo is just trying to find the source. If the guide was sold at retail early, the buyer wouldn't be the one in legal issue, but the company that sold him/her the guide is indeed at fault. If the guide was ganked off the production line or somewhere at the guide manufacturer's offices, that person is deffo in big trouble.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Good! I really dislike leakers. Respect the people who have worked on the game for years and who want to present the game the way they want to.

Fucking this.

People aren't entitled to every fucking feature and creature of a game before it even releases.

Glad I avoided and don't give a fuck about Pokemon leaks. Game's 100% fresh to me.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking this.

People aren't entitled to every fucking feature and creature of a game before it even releases.

Glad I avoided and don't give a fuck about Pokemon leaks. Game's 100% fresh to me.

They've been pretty silent about the cut features. The leakers exposed all of those. It's a good thing that people got to know what was going on, many like myself could avoid a bullet.

This is such a weird take to me, how is it a bad thing? You'd prefer people feel scammed at launch because they never knew?

It's not even about entitlement for christ's sake, it's about keeping the standard they've been on since all previous releases, expectations you know?

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
"irreparable injury" fucking lol

Should people have leaked the game? Of course not, but hey, maybe if Gamefreak had been given more time to make better games then the leaks would have inspired more excitement instead of pissing people off.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
when the article talked about serving subpoenas on Twitter and Discord I almost misunderstood them as saying they were going to post the subpoenas on those places to serve them and I almost died

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
This is such a weird take to me, how is it a bad thing? You'd prefer people feel scammed at launch because they never knew?
How is it a bad thing? You mean, that someone broke their NDA and spread copyrighted material and company secrets to the internet? For one, it's a breach of contract, someone breaking their legal word...

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France

As in, discover all the missing shit only after you've bought the product ? Is that really how the employees want to present their work, or rather the company that's in charge ?

TPC communication was ass, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Besides this whole thing probably isn't even about that.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
One would think that releasing a substandard product devoid of features that have been standard for over a decade, openly lying about the reasons why and goucging on the price would have done that already.

Joking aside, it really is gross watching some people gleefully hoping for financial harm to be done to a person for the crime of informing consumers.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
As in, discover all the missing shit only after you've bought the product ? Is that really how the employees want to present their work, or rather the company that's in charge ?

TPC communication was ass, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Besides this whole thing probably isn't even about that.

They want to present the thing they've worked hard on even if that means missing scope that some of the audience feels is important.

Jun 23, 2019
They've been pretty silent about the cut features. The leakers exposed all of those. It's a good thing that people got to know what was going on, many like myself could avoid a bullet.

It's not even about entitlement for christ's sake, it's about keeping the standard they've been on since all previous releases, expectations you know?

lol You already know the answer to this question.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A massively rich corporation owns and gets the vast majority of the benefits until the end of time from work created by a relatively small group of people. So no?

"So no?" So you mean you dont think the intellectual property these companies rely on is created by people? Well I can honestly say I wasnt expecting someone to argue that. Kudos for the novel stance that intellectual property just appears fully formed in the world.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is it a bad thing? You mean, that someone broke their NDA and spread copyrighted material and company secrets to the internet? For one, it's a breach of contract, someone breaking their legal word...
How does it matter to you as a consumer? The consumers won with the leaks, they got to know what was in, what was cut, and base their purchase decisions on those.

Shouldn't this only matter to the executives at Nintendo/TPC/GF?

I struggle to get your angle, unless you're an investor or something like that?

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I think the hatred a lot of people have for "leakers" is kind of silly. Like you're actually mad that someone is ruining a multi-billion dollar corporation's advertising campaign while simultaneously revealing content that Game Freak cut and making sure people knew about it?

One would think that releasing a substandard product devoid of features that have been standard for over a decade, openly lying about the reasons why and goucging on the price would have done that already.

Joking aside, it really is gross watching some people gleefully hoping for financial harm to be done to a person for the crime of informing consumers.
Crime of infomring consumers? Wow, imagine being so self righteous and naive that you think that's what being discussed here.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Yes. That's why this case isn't going after them. Did you even read it?
I did, and this isn't there. It doesn't say they're only going after NDA signers and makes no distinction between what might be these people and who might be random people who got leaked copies that never signed anything. Hell, it explicitly says they can't identify any specific people. That's why the lawsuit is heavy-handed and petty.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
I did, and this isn't there. It doesn't say they're only going after NDA signers and makes no distinction between what might be these people and who might be random people who got leaked copies that never signed anything. Hell, it explicitly says they can't identify any specific people. That's why the lawsuit is heavy-handed and petty.
They are only going after the person or people who had direct contact with the guide and leaked it on Discord. That person either worked for TPCi, an affiliate or a retailer, so they must have signed an NDA to have access to the guide so far ahead of its launch. That's why this suit exists.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
They are only going after the person or people who had direct contact with the guide and leaked it on Discord. That person either worked for TPCi, an affiliate or a retailer, so they must have signed an NDA to have access to the guide so far ahead of its launch. That's why this suit exists.
Then you go after the store or staff at whatever level than handed them out that might have violated street date, not the person who had it and didn't necessarily sign anything. The article actually says it's peeved at the people who posted images, not the people who let the guides out in some form.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Well honestly if you leak any info on stuff like this then you are making yourself open for a company to potentially sue your ass. That's just how it is imo.

But "irreparable injury" is ... well that's not what these leaks did. But despite that wording being weird, I hope this scares others off. Which is probably all they aim for with this if I had to guess. And well if that person signed an NDA - welp can't really feel sympathy if they get found out. They knew the risks involved in that regardless of which company they signed that NDA for.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
"So no?" So you mean you dont think the intellectual property these companies rely on is created by people? Well I can honestly say I wasnt expecting someone to argue that. Kudos for the novel stance that intellectual property just appears fully formed in the world.

"created by" means jack shit when those people don't own any of it.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
That's not accurate. They are going after the person who had the guide. They aren't interested in the intermediaries, as they know they can't do anything to them as they hadn't signed an NDA.
"Pokémon Company International is particularly peeved at people who posted pictures of previously unseen Pokémon from the Sword and Shield strategy guide on Discord and 4Chan earlier this month."

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
"Pokémon Company International is particularly peeved at people who posted pictures of previously unseen Pokémon from the Sword and Shield strategy guide on Discord and 4Chan earlier this month."
Yes. The person or people who had the guide and posted them, WolfenX. They said people because it was latter admitted that he got them from someone else, so they have to go through WolfenX to find the real culprit.