• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
pokemon lawyers are kinda dicks. One of my artist friends just got a C&D from them for making pokemon art and selling it at conventions. Meanwhile convention floors are wall to wall people selling all kinds of fan art from other anime, to marvel, and DC. Nothing happens to them. It's not even like my friend has an enormous following. They also forced her to take any Pokémon related stuff off her social media

Just because other companies choose not to C&D, doesn't mean you should expect TPCi to follow the same behaviour.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to play with platitudes: "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." I don't see how they're at all even, though. Potentially have your livelihood ruined because you leaked information in a video game that sold millions of copies. I just don't see why you'd take the side of a company over individuals. I don't think the leaks are a good idea, either, but they don't deserve to be financially destroyed over it.

It's easy to paint TPC as a faceless company but the truth of the matter is that there are hundreds of "real people" working on these games as developers. Having your hard work ruined because a couple of bozos on the internet wanted 15 minutes of fame isn't exactly a victimless crime. Maybe you don't respect developers that create the entertainment you enjoy, but I do, and certainly more than some random internet individuals.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
That's what reviews are for. If you can't wait for reviews, then the joke's on you.

I don't think I really agree with this.

Reviews only indicate whether the reviewer in question enjoyed the game and there are also often a lot of details they cannot discuss. Between embargoes or restrictions on discussing certain kinds of content, a review is a great way to tell if someone liked the game but is no substitute for the sort of analysis a prerelease leak affords enthusiast players.

Much of the controversy during the release of Sword & Shield was because players were aware of all kinds of problems and changes in the games that were not reflected or discussed in the reviews. These are things players would not have found out about until after they'd made their day-one purchases.

This isn't necessarily an argument for more leaks, but I do think it's wrong to say leaks and reviews offer the same insight. It only has an impact on the release day movement because people with reservations could certainly wait a week or so for player impressions to hit the internet. But what leaks allow are for player impressions to precede release and therefore allow players to adjust their expectations accordingly. In a world without prerelease leaks, hesitant players would just wait a few days before making a purchase. But for enthusiasts, a purchase is sort of a foregone conclusion. There's probably nothing that would have prevented me from buying Sword & Shield, even with all the things that disappointed me. But I'm glad I knew what I was getting in to.

Again, this isn't an argument that leaks are good and there should be more leaks. But in a world where leaks exist, I do think they offer something fundamentally different from reviews and this is especially true in this particular instance.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Irrepairable damage. Lmao.

Remind me again what youtube video was posted by what corporation during what specific trade show that caused the huge social media backlash.

Then remind me what game sold 6 million copies opening week?

If you side with billion dollar corporations, you're clown shoes. This company has enough money to buy all our lives. The fuck you want them to come down on some leakers on some trumped up bullshit charges that ultimately mean fucking nothing?

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The leaks let me make an informed decision on not to buy it. It was a good thing it did leak. My specific favorites missing from the game, no GTS, no postgame, no battle frontier, poor story, etc. These are things that Gamefreak avoided to inform us about.

You could also have made the same informed decision by waiting till the game released. It's not like your choices were "Get leaks or be compelled to buy it Day 1".

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
It's easy to paint TPC as a faceless company but the truth of the matter is that there are hundreds of "real people" working on these games as developers. Having your hard work ruined because a couple of bozos on the internet wanted 15 minutes of fame isn't exactly a victimless crime. Maybe you don't respect developers that create the entertainment you enjoy, but I do, and certainly more than some random internet individuals.
What exactly does the individual on the development team gain from these lawsuits? And I hardly believe that their hard work was "ruined." Millions of people—myself included—bought the new Pokemon. Many of us—myself included again—quite enjoyed it. Saying that this lawsuit is for the devs is not right.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dick move, and this could set precedent to criminalize all game leaks, and have serious implications in other types of leaks that have an important and good job to investigative journalism.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
ruining a small time artists business when you are a billion dollar company seems petty. Other large companies don't seem to do that
Small time artists don't get carte blanche to ignore copyrights.
Other large companies do do this all the time. Marvel is notoriously litigious. Maybe your friend can pivot to Avengers fanart if you're so certain they won't do the same.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What exactly does the individual on the development team gain from these lawsuits?

The satisfaction knowing that there was punishment for the offenders? The hope that this precedent will make future potential leakers hesitant to do so on the next game? Just off the top of my head.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
This is not how any company works. If they believe that you have done something illegal that has damaged their product they will sue you, it is obvious.
The people that sold the game early are the ones that have breached their contract by selling the product before the release date, take them to court. The ones that dumped the game, shared it and datamined it would also be fair game under piracy laws, go after them too. As a consumer if I've bought something legally it is my right to talk about it, I'm not under NDA, and it is not illegal to purchase something before a release date. Now, if the copies that were sold early were stolen then that is another matter, but even then unless it can be proven that the buyer KNEW they were stolen that is also not going to lead to anything.

If TPC wants to pursue here on the grounds of "irreparable damage" that means they admit that they were trying to hide information about the product that they knew people wouldn't like, and were banking on sales made due to people being un/misinformed about the true nature of the product. I don't see that behaviour is something that should be defended, after all they are trying to bankrupt someone here.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How was any of their work "ruined?"

Leaks happen, game sells gangbusters, and the world keeps spinning.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Small time artists don't get carte blanche to ignore copyrights.
Other large companies do do this all the time. Marvel is notoriously litigious. Maybe your friend can pivot to Avengers fanart if you're so certain they won't do the same.

seems weird that marvel is probably what I see most being sold wall to wall all over comic cons then next to pokemon and MHA

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Providing the leaked information was truthful and no NDAs were broken. How exactly is it wrong to share information?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
These are things players would not have found out about until after they'd made their day-one purchases.

Then you DON'T make a day-one purchase! No one is forcing you to! This is why you wait for the maximum of information being available on a product before purchasing! This is why you don't blindly commit to buy something based purely on hype and faith!

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
The satisfaction knowing that there was punishment for the offenders? The hope that this precedent will make future potential leakers hesitant to do so on the next game? Just off the top of my head.
I really think you'd have to be callous to celebrate people being sued into the ground by a company worth billions.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Good, crush the leakers.
giphy.gif

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jeez some people really will defend GF for anything won't they?

EA or Kojima tried this you'd have people wanting heads on pikes.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The people that sold the game early are the ones that have breached their contract by selling the product before the release date, take them to court. The ones that dumped the game, shared it and datamined it would also be fair game under piracy laws, go after them too. As a consumer if I've bought something legally it is my right to talk about it, I'm not under NDA, and it is not illegal to purchase something before a release date. Now, if the copies that were sold early were stolen then that is another matter, but even then unless it can be proven that the buyer KNEW they were stolen that is also not going to lead to anything.

If TPC wants to pursue here on the grounds of "irreparable damage" that means they admit that they were trying to hide information about the product that they knew people wouldn't like, and were banking on sales made due to people being un/misinformed about the true nature of the product. I don't see that behaviour is something that should be defended, after all they are trying to bankrupt someone here.
This is absurd. No company wants leaks or spoilers of their games, movies or series, no matter if they are fantastic or mediocre. When Marvel tried to avoid spoilers at the end of Endgame, it wasn't because they thought it was a bad movie. Irreparable damage means that it cannot be repaired, once a spoiler is on the internet you cannot make it disappear. That is the definition.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
The kind of shitbirds who get satisfaction over an enormous corporation grinding nobodies to dust over something so ultimately pointless are not people worth celebrating.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
seems weird that marvel is probably what I see most being sold wall to wall all over comic cons then next to pokemon and MHA
Can't catch 'em all 🤷‍♂️

How was any of their work "ruined?"

Leaks happen, game sells gangbusters, and the world keeps spinning.
Team morale? For the umpteenth time, sales isn't the only metric here. Other posters in this very thread have already pointed out why leaks can be harmful for reasons aside from sales.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Then you DON'T make a day-one purchase! No one is forcing you to! This is why you wait for the maximum of information being available on a product before purchasing! This is why you don't blindly commit to buy something based purely on hype and faith!

That's literally what I said. Why are you only responding to one line of my post?

It only has an impact on the release day movement because people with reservations could certainly wait a week or so for player impressions to hit the internet.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I mean the leaks convinced me to not buy Pokemon. The Pokemon Company harmed their own brand. But only to me and a select few, the Pokemon brand is still going strong and will never actually be harmed. Silly corporations.

Jun 14, 2019
they probs damaged the brand more by cutting out half the pokemon and barely even having a rendering distance 2 feet in front of you. than the damage any leaker would of done

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For everyone not actually reading the article, TPCI is specifically going after someone who leaked images of Pokemon from the strategy guide, not any of the Twitch streamers or others who exposed leaks to a wider audience. It has nothing to do with "Dexit" or any other controversy and is just TPCI being litigious for no real reason.

I have no idea why posting images from a book is considered illegal.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
For everyone not actually reading the article, TPCI is specifically going after someone who leaked images of Pokemon from the strategy guide, not any of the Twitch streamers or others who exposed leaks to a wider audience.

If they suspect that he obtained the book illegally or worked for the book company, it would be to break an NDA.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
>People break legally-binding contract agreements

>Corporation takes legal action against said people.

>Era: Fuck corporations

...I'm not sure what I expected.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the leaks were the part where people were positive about the game pre-release, because everyone stopped worrying about all of the game's shortcomings to enjoy the amazing designs. leakers did a better job marketing the game than TPC

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
For everyone not actually reading the article, TPCI is specifically going after someone who leaked images of Pokemon from the strategy guide, not any of the Twitch streamers or others who exposed leaks to a wider audience. It has nothing to do with "Dexit" or any other controversy and is just TPCI being litigious for no real reason.

Presumably because by having access to those books, they're likely to be in positions of power covered by an NDA.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not seeing any issue with this.
It's legally fine.

It's also needlessly hostile and destructive to fan communities.

Magic the Gathering head designer Mark Rosewater has written several articles about how important fan retention is for games. When people stop playing Magic, you can insure they might get back into Magic if those people are still talking about Magic and reading about Magic on a frequent basis. Fan-produced content can help keep continued excitement even during lulls in a product release schedule.

When you throw the book at fans producing content, it sends a clear message: "We don't want you to make art of our stuff. We don't want you to write about our stuff. We don't want you to talk about our stuff." If, for example, Bandai Namco cracked down on the company that would have sold me the funny Dark Souls T-shirt I'm wearing right now, all that means is that I'll be talking less about Dark Souls to other people.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

The relevant part of the article:

Pokémon Company International is particularly peeved at people who posted pictures of previously unseen Pokémon from the Sword and Shield strategy guide on Discord and 4Chan earlier this month. The pictures were also shared on mainstream social social media networks like Facebook, Twitter and Imgur as well as on popular video game sites Polygon and Dot Esports. In total, the developer found 300 Web pages on "dozens of platforms that linked to websites containing the leaked Strategy Guide pictures," according to the suit.

The Pokémon leaks started on November 1, when a picture of a new Pokémon, Gigantamax Machamp, appeared on Discord. (The Gigantamax versions of Pokémon are given extra power before a battle, a new feature in the Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield games). Just 17 minutes later, the image was shared on 4Chan. Ten minutes later it was on Reddit. Another 18 pictures appeared on Discord, a site that started out as a gamers forum but has been abused by a number of criminal types, from child abusers to hackers.

Not surprised to see people jumping to conclusions though, lol.

If they suspect that he obtained the book illegally or worked for the book company, it would be to break an NDA.

This is what I'm thinking.

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Personally if it was my video game I would do the same exact thing.

Even if the information disclosed was negative for some it's MY vision for the game at the time and I would rather the game speak for itself than having almost 99% of my game exposed to the world.

They literally spoiled almost everything this game had to offer before release. Seriously. I haven't seen such a leak for a video game.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's legally fine.

Magic the Gathering head designer Mark Rosewater has written several articles about how important fan retention is for games. When people stop playing Magic, you can insure they might get back into Magic if those people are still talking about Magic and reading about Magic on a frequent basis. Fan-produced content can help keep continued excitement even during lulls in a product release schedule.

When you throw the book at fans producing content, it sends a clear message: "We don't want you to make art of our stuff. We don't want you to write about our stuff. We don't want you to talk about our stuff."

It's funny you cite Magic the Gathering when they have had a lot of damage done from leaks over the years.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Things reviews would not have told you if you had waited for them instead of looking at the leaks:

Names, types, stats, abilities and learn sets of every new pokemon
Every new move and the pokemon that learn them
Old moves getting redistributed to old pokemon
All of the cut pokemon
All of the returning pokemon
All of the returning pokemon that are in the game's data but not part of the dex
New items and their effects
The full encounter list/rates
End-game activities
The absence of GTS
All of the unrevealed Gigantimax forms and their exclusive max moves

Saying "you should've just waited for reviews if you wanted more info" doesn't mean anything when no review was going to tell you everything you wanted to know. TPC can be mad that they didn't get to control the message, but I'd rather that information be out sooner than later.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Personally if it was my video game I would do the same exact thing.

Even if the information disclosed was negative for some it's MY vision for the game at the time and I would rather the game speak for itself than having almost 99% of my game exposed to the world.

They literally spoiled almost everything this game had to offer before release. Seriously. I haven't seen such a leak for a video game.

Have you not seen the leaks for every single Pokémon game since XY?

It happens every year, first someone obtain a copy, then day1 gets broken by a week or so then the game is dumped and dataminers extract literally everything from it.

By the time of D1 we always have all the hacking tools updated for compatibility too.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
It's legally fine.

When you throw the book at fans producing content, it sends a clear message: "We don't want you to make art of our stuff. We don't want you to write about our stuff. We don't want you to talk about our stuff."
Oh no, I get that. I had to explain the same shit to my first employer who demanded that we disallow fans from monetizing Youtube videos of our game.
I'm in favor of it; I'm just saying it's still firmly within their rights, and it's not that ridiculous.

Some companies (like Nintendo) seem to find greater value in keeping an iron fist around how their IP is consumed. Seems to be working fine for them.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
Serious question: what if the leakers themselves weren't actually bound by any contracts and just had so happened to have this information somehow? I understand that's incredibly unlikely given the unusual nature of them finding something that's supposed to be confidential BUT there have been instances of something exactly like that happening

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maybe they thought the reason the game has an 80 metaxcore is because reviewers got hyped up about that fake Gigantamax Eldegoss

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Things reviews would not have told you if you had waited for them instead of looking at the leaks:

Names, types, stats, abilities and learn sets of every new pokemon
Every new move and the pokemon that learn them
Old moves getting redistributed to old pokemon
All of the cut pokemon
All of the returning pokemon
All of the returning pokemon that are in the game's data but not part of the dex
New items and their effects
The full encounter list/rates
End-game activities
The absence of GTS
All of the unrevealed Gigantimax forms and their exclusive max moves

Saying "you should've just waited for reviews if you wanted more info" doesn't mean anything when no review was going to tell you everything you wanted to know. TPC can be mad that they didn't get to control the message, but I'd rather that information be out sooner than later.
Ok, don't wait for the reviews, wait for a page that collects that kind of information. Sword and Shield will continue for sale on the shelves and there will have been nothing illegal. The only reason to defend leaks is in case you have a compelling need to play something day 1.

Serious question: what if the leakers themselves weren't actually bound by any contracts and just had so happened to have this information somehow? I understand that's incredibly unlikely given the unusual nature of them finding something that's supposed to be confidential BUT there have been instances of something exactly like that happening

They would track the person who gave that leaker the information and they would have broken the NDA. Someone has had to break an NDA at some point.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
This is absurd. No company wants leaks or spoilers of their games, movies or series, no matter if they are fantastic or mediocre. When Marvel tried to avoid spoilers at the end of Endgame, it wasn't because they thought it was a bad movie.
I've been under NDA before for Pokemon X/Y when I was able to purchase it a week early, I was permitted to talk about as much as I wanted as long as what I said was positive. I was not permitted to talk about anything in a negative light or post images/video. So, respectfully, you're wrong.

Irreparable damage means they believe the information that was leaked was damaging to the image of their product. The information that was leaked was simply the truth of the product they were selling. And again, unless the game (or guide, since that leaked too) was obtained illegally or by someone who had signed an NDA, no law was broken.